• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should the government restrict what we can call our children?

Pearls18

Reaction score
I read an article the other day on the BBC website about illegal baby names, sorry I can't find it now I did just try and quick google. Basically, it was saying how some counties have really strict rules, there were some in Europe that actually makeyou pick from a list (it does run in the thousands though!) and how the UK is a lot more relaxed, there was a list of banned named which included "Number 16 Bus" and Vagina. Do you think we should be able to call our child anything? Or should the government intervene?

Edit: here's the link, thanks Foogirl! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21229475

They have naming laws in my country. They're not incredibly strict, its things like you can't name your child a name that is usually used for the other gender (e.g. calling a boy Sue), using a last name for a first name, using a name that isn't Finnish unless you have cultural reasons (i.e. its a name from your own cultural background and this rule isn't strictly enforced) or the same name as a sibling (middle names can be the same but not the first name) and you can't give more than 3 first names (so first name and two middle names and the surname). If you get your child christened then generally its up to the priest/vicar to decide if the name is allowed and if you don't get them christened then the state decides (you have to register your child and their name to the local authorities to get their social security card so I guess they decide then)

I think its good because it stops stupid people giving their children stupid names that will embarrass them, cause them to be bullied or lessen their employment prospects.

I'm torn on this one. I think parents should be allowed to name their children anything they wish and I'm not sure the government should step in, let alone give a list of rules.

But, if someone decided to call their child "fuck off" then I would hope there was something in place to stop them. This means, I suppose, that the line must be drawn somewhere. The problem with that is it becomes subjective and there are always going to be some people who don't agree with where that line is.

Yes to a degree! I mean people should be able to call there children what they want however if it starts to get stupid like some I've heard that have been dismissed for twins "fish and chips"! Haha so yes I think there should be some line and rightly so imagine the kid going to school called vagina! : ( x

Or, as a friend of mine who's daughter worked in a Glasgow maternity ward heard "Versace McLetchie" :rofl:

Yeh I've heard that before. Haha I've also heard beyonce and Chanel x

I think there has to be common sense applied but I find it bizarre the government has to intervene though grateful they do, why on earth would you subject somebody you are supposed to love with all your heart the name of "number 16 bus" I just don't comprehend why you would do that.

For info, this is the link to the piece. I read it on Friday too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21229475

I know I was thinking the same lo is your pride and joy yet when you look at them you think VAGINA lol x

Well, I always thought Chlamydia would make a really pretty girl's name. "Chlamydia Paris" has a lovely ring to it :haha:

I was gutted enough that Mr Foo rejected "Clarice Paris"

I'm torn on this one. I think parents should be allowed to name their children anything they wish and I'm not sure the government should step in, let alone give a list of rules.

But, if someone decided to call their child "fuck off" then I would hope there was something in place to stop them. This means, I suppose, that the line must be drawn somewhere. The problem with that is it becomes subjective and there are always going to be some people who don't agree with where that line is.

Someone here wanted to give their child swear words for their middle names. It was denied of course.

Someone here wanted to give their child swear words for their middle names. It was denied of course.
Jeepers!

When I was writing my response, the whole time I was thinking, "but no-one would actually do that, would they?"

Jeepers!

When I was writing my response, the whole time I was thinking, "but no-one would actually do that, would they?"

There's always gonna be someone.

I'm trying to search if any swear word names made it through the censors but can't find any. There are however a number of female Jesus so I guess the gender rule isn't always followed.

Definitely but within reason! I don't think governments should go overboard and really restrict names, but they definitely shouldn't allow really ridiculous ones. Wasn't there a family that tried to name their daughter something like Talluladoesthehulainhawaii? Couldn't they just settle on Tallula? Lol

In an ideal world nobody would ever have to intervene because people would actually think about the long term affect on the child before choosing their name. Obviously this isn't an ideal world because people try to call there babies things like 'number 16 bus', people who treat their child's name as an oppourtunity for a joke are always going to exist therefore there should IMO always be a line stopping people taking it too far. Maybe there should be a penalty and they should be forced to change their own names to Ima-Dickhead!?

I want to say no but unfortunately some people are idiots.

I think I feel the same as Foo, I feel no is the answer but then you read about number 16 bus and that makes me want to say yes but where do we draw the line and who draws that line?

Someone needs to look out for these kids, when their parents are that stupid. I'd rather have someone step in and put the kibosh on such antics than have a child go thru life called Super Duper Syphillis Face.

Yes, absolutely. Some names make me go "wha?" but they're not outrageous so whatever. But in the case of people naming their kids something horrendous that has some other meaning that they'll be teased about for the rest of their lives, yes.

I wouldn't mind having someone go in to talk to these parents about WHY they feel the need to subject their baby to ridicule before their life even begins. The mind boggles...

I worry that the parents why give their child a stupid name will also make poor parenting choices in other areas of the child's life. I think it should be a little bit like a test and if yiu choose a silly name you have to go on a parenting course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->