• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should the government restrict what we can call our children?

There's a difference between just non-traditional names like Jupiter for example and really far out names or stupid names like Vagina or Chlamydia - the law should protect children from names like that. I think the alternative spelling of names isn't such an issue in English speaking countries as it doesn't strictly change the pronunciation so don't think they need a law for that (although I do hate those names most of the time)

The problem with that is that in countries like the US, we have so many different cultures represented that you can't make sweeping bans on names. Something that is considered a beautiful and traditional name to one culture could be offensive in another. Who gets to decide which culture is wrong?

For instance: Hymen is a traditional Hebrew boy's name. It's also the English word for a vaginal membrane. Should a Jewish family not be able to name their son a name that has been a part of their culture for thousands of years just because the current English speakers could find it offensive?

Depends if they want their son to have the piss taken out of him every day of his life or not. But at least the law where I am allows for cultural names so Hymen would be allowed.

There's a difference between just non-traditional names like Jupiter for example and really far out names or stupid names like Vagina or Chlamydia - the law should protect children from names like that. I think the alternative spelling of names isn't such an issue in English speaking countries as it doesn't strictly change the pronunciation so don't think they need a law for that (although I do hate those names most of the time)

The problem with that is that in countries like the US, we have so many different cultures represented that you can't make sweeping bans on names. Something that is considered a beautiful and traditional name to one culture could be offensive in another. Who gets to decide which culture is wrong?

For instance: Hymen is a traditional Hebrew boy's name. It's also the English word for a vaginal membrane. Should a Jewish family not be able to name their son a name that has been a part of their culture for thousands of years just because the current English speakers could find it offensive?

Depends if they want their son to have the piss taken out of him every day of his life or not. But at least the law where I am allows for cultural names so Hymen would be allowed.

It's a hard one where there's a cultural name. I went school with a lovely girl called Camaljit. She got hammered for it pretty much every day.im not sure if her parents really knew the implications giving her the name as they'd only lived in the country a few years.

If I were living somewhere else and Abigail meant something different there, something like Hymen means here, I wouldn't name her that. And if I didn't know that it had a different meaning I WOULD want someone to step in and tell me. A name isn't worth subjecting my child to a life of almost guaranteed teasing, IMO.

It's a hard one where there's a cultural name. I went school with a lovely girl called Camaljit. She got hammered for it pretty much every day.im not sure if her parents really knew the implications giving her the name as they'd only lived in the country a few years.

If I moved to a new country and had another child I'd probably mention the name to some locals first before making it official - judge by their reaction if its something rude or embarrassing or not!

There are people who have family names they have passed down for centuries. I totally understand not breaking that tradition because of current culture. The Jewish culture hasn't survived for thousands of years by bowing to their detractors.

You also have to consider that some people are very proud of their unique names. My family is part Native American, and each generation has male and female members with the name 'Star' or 'Starlet'. My grandfather's name is Star. Even in his generation, it's considered a very feminine name. However, my grandfather is very proud of his name because of the heritage it represents. He's been teased all his life, but he wouldn't change his name for anything.

My aunt's name is Starlet, but she goes by Star. It wouldn't be a problem except that her father's last name was Shipp, and she never married. My aunt gets made fun of all the time, but she's proud of her name. When she explains the heritage behind it, people actually think it's wonderful.

It's rare these days to have traditional family names. Those of us who choose to pass them on think that our family's history is more important then people who lack manners or cultural awareness. I passed on the name to my daughter (it's her middle name because I'm not the firstborn female), and I hope she does the same.

You're right, I am not familiar with anything like that so it didn't cross my mind that it would be that significant to someone. :flower:

I fully agree with allowing traditional/cultural names. Though as a parent I would choose carefully so as to not put my child through unnecessary teasing/bullying. If I have a son I want to give him a traditional name that isn't seen much but its not something that means anything rude in any language that I know of and if it was then I wouldn't use it even though I really like the name (it would have been my name if I was a boy)

It's hard to balance tradition and the current culture. I'm lucky that 'Starlet' isn't considered too crazy.

It's also a lot of fun to see people's reaction when a six foot five inch strongly built eighty year old man tells them his name is 'Star'. :haha:

I don't know what the whole law here is for naming, but you don't see many people named Adolf. I've been here for three years and only ever met one Adolf and he is quite old - probably around the time all that stuff happened it was an acceptable name - but I certainly haven't met someone from our generation named Adolf. I've also never seen anyone with a last name of Hitler. I don't think anyone can legally change their last name by deed poll to that either.

That's all I know really. There probably is also something stating that you can't call your baby "scheiße" or something like that.

ive met kids called storm, beck, trinity. before i knew i was having two girls i liked river n hunter for boys. everyone took the piss. i also love willow for a girl but my cats willow. i think fallon is cute too. but i settled for calmer names of finlay, isla and lilly. altho some people question isla.

I think you do need to consider the country that the child will grow up in. I really liked the name Quinn when I was pregnant but my OH said it sounds like the Swedish word for woman so the baby would get teased.

Definitely. Someone has to look out for child if the proposed name is ridiculous. I remember reading about a little girl named 'Talula does the hula from Hawaii' absolutely ridiculous! I believe she was granted permission to change her name when she was 8.

On the point of foreign names my friend works with children and was shocked to find that one of the parents first names is Ashit pronounced Ash-it the staff were so shocked no one wanted to talk to him!!! turns out he came to the UK as an adult so it wasnt so bad but can you imagine the torment a child would go through if they had to go through school with a name like that???

I agree that profanity shouldnt be allowed or names like chlamydia, syphillis, numbers & letters with exclamation points etc because theres just no need. Although im not a fan of 'unique speelings' either I would allow them because its up to the parents how they spell the childrens name.

Although im not a fan of 'unique speelings' either I would allow them because its up to the parents how they spell the childrens name.

Not a big fan, either. Someone wanted to name their daughter Olivia, but spell it Aalyviaah. It's their prerogative :shrug:

I dont know if it was mentioned but recent story on bbc of a girl in iceland who had to go to court to get her name accepted as it was deemed a boys name. in the court documents she was simply refered to a 'girl' i couldnt comment if the name was masculine or femine as dont speak icelandish.

Also my dad had a girl in his nursery from a part of africa and she was called fanta and her sister pepsi...which apperently was quite common. but he now has a little boy called Ocean Turquoise...not sure where that one wud fit.?

but i think the list in the uk of banned names is quite short...like God isnt allowed.

I deff think there needs to be some boundaries, and a register should be given the right to make a sensible judgement on each case, as it simple to make a list of words that cannot be used, but they may have completly different meaning in othrr parts of the world.

I dont think we shud go as far as the some of the scandinavian countries as othe wise Parker wouldnt be allowed as it a surname. hehe.

Reading this has compelled me to change the boys names to R!l3y and L0u!3......Or maybe not

I definitely agree with these sorts of restrictions when there are parents out there willing to use their children as some sort of joke.

I quite like some 'different' names, but common sense applies. In a perfect world Lucas would have been named Tristan, Percival or Gabriel (the names I had picked) - but he'd have been teased mercilessly where we live. Luckily he really suits Lucas so I'm not gutted about it :winkwink:

In the countries that have fairly strict rules on what names can be given to a baby do the same rules apply to people who want to change their names as adults? Just out of curiosity.

There are a lot of Vietnamese people in our community and some of the fairly common names look like profanity, such as Phuc and Bich, but arent pronounced the way they would be in English. Some people choose to go by an American name or an alternate spelling that makes it easier for English speakers to pronounce correctly.

In the countries that have fairly strict rules on what names can be given to a baby do the same rules apply to people who want to change their names as adults? Just out of curiosity.

There are a lot of Vietnamese people in our community and some of the fairly common names look like profanity, such as Phuc and Bich, but arent pronounced the way they would be in English. Some people choose to go by an American name or an alternate spelling that makes it easier for English speakers to pronounce correctly.

Just checked (although not from an official source, just from some blog so it might not be correct) and apparently the rules apply also plus another rule that you can't change your surname to a protected surname (I think that is rare surnames or old nobility names)

Edit: actually all surnames are protected apparently so you can only change to another surname if you are marrying or if some relative of yours in the past has used that surname. Or make up an entirely new one.

My Vietnamese friend in school her brothers were called 'phi' (pronounced thigh) and Phong (pronounced thong) weirdly she and her sister were given English names. In my OH's culture there is a name that sounds like Nasty Ho when pronounced properly it isn't like that but the way it is said in dialect is like that. Personally I think that they shouldn't have such laws because in some of these countries the laws do discriminate strongly against those of other cultures xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->