Should we wait one more month?

Laska5

Reaction score
I had mirena taken our March 12th. Upon the appointment, the nurse practitioner told me to start PNV & wait until I've had 2 periods before we TTC #1. Which I've been doing that & I've had 2 periods. I just finished a period yesterday so technically we could start trying in about 10 days or whenever I ovulate. But books & everything else seem to be telling me I should be on PNV for 3 months before TTC. I'm tired of using condoms & just want to get this baby making show on the road. I don't really see a reason to wait another month except for what some are saying about being on PNV's for 3 months, especially since my APN did not mention that. I had mirena in for almost 5 years. I'm 31, fairly healthy, active & at a good BMI with no serious health problems except for migraines.

UPDATE: I should also mention that during my ovulation period in June (which would be the 3 month mark) I will be on vacation with my parents & my 18 year old step-son so I don't think there will be much if any DTD going on that month, so we probably wouldn't be able to TTC to July!

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

Personally I wouldn't wait another month. Have they given reasons why they were told to wait three months? If you were told 2 months I'd stick to it and get on with the baby making!! I don't see what waiting another month will do.

Do you have a history of spina bifida or other neural tube defects in your family? PNV, and specifically folic acid, help to greatly reduce your chances of these abnormalities, but if you don't have any history of these in your family then I'd say go for it! Just think of how many women get pregnant by accident and hadn't taken any PNV and then go on to have perfectly healthy babies.

Just seems to be the general consensus that I hear people generally wait 3 months after stopping birth control to TTC.

But glad to hear someone else say that they would't wait another month! I'm not very patient! :D

Nope- no history of any of that!

As long as you are taking pnv now I don't see why you would wait. I'd start now!

I'd start ttc now, you've been taking them for 2 months so you've got good levels in your system already. No need to wait. Just think of the many women who have unplanned pregnancies and don't start taking folic acid until they're 4, 5, 6 or more weeks into pregnancy and go on to have healthy pregnancies with healthy babies.

Good luck on your ttc journey :flower:

I have never heard it medically recommended to wait until a set time before trying for a baby after coming off of contraception personally, when I had my coil removed (it wasn't mirena though) it wasn't mentioned and I ended up falling pregnant within days. I wouldn't wait one more month just for vitamins (I'm assuming that is what is meant by pnv?) you've already started taking them and will continue to do so when pregnant so I don't see the issue.

I agree with marine wag!
I personally don't know anyone who has taken vitamins for 3 months before trying, or waiting for 3 months after birth control unless they want to be sure of a regular cycle pattern.
Xx

Just to add I didn't take any pnv until after I was pregnant. We weren't sure whether we could have kids naturally and I felt like I was tempting fate by taking something. We've just started ntnp again now and so far I haven't taken anything - mostly because they aren't easy to come by here. But I am going to try find some this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->