Showering after birth...

sue_88

Reaction score
...I've written my birth preferences for when my daughter arrives and I am planning a homebirth.

I showed them to my friend to read over, and she thought it was unrealistic that after skin to skin, placenta delivery & first feed that I want to go for a shower?

I have asked my mum if she would like to be the first person to dress the baby, and she's honoured to do so (I have no OH) so I would like to leave the two of them for that special moment together while I go for a shower.

So thinking this could be anything up to about 2/3 hours after birth - is it realistic to be able to go for a shower at this point? Or is that totally unrealistic with how you feel after having the baby?

Just to add my friend has no kids so no idea what she's basing her comment on :shrug: I think I would quite enjoy going and getting into a warm shower to clean up and get fresh - not to mention allowing grandma and baby that special moment together getting Millie clean and dressed and cuddled.

With my son i had an epidural so was unable to get out of bed until the next day when the feelings i my legs returned :haha:

but tbh i would have thought that after the birth, skin to skin and feed the baby - the next logical thing to do would be to have a wash? lol

I always get in the shower as soon as those things are done...you feel so gross at that point!

She said I would feel weak and wobbly and not able to stand. I did make the point of saying I would have the MW with me on hand to help if needed but no she still thought it was unrealistic. :shrug:

It was like 4 hours before I felt steady enough to go anywhere unsupported (I had an epidural). I honestly don't remember when I showered. It was all a blur.

Things never go according to plan anyway, so shower when you can :)

I felt pretty weak and wobbly and would not have wanted to be on my own in the shower. That said, you can always say that's what you want and when the time comes if you feel rotten, don't do it! Nothing's written in stone. :)

Yeah that's what I was thinking. ^^

That is why I haven't written a 'birth plan' but rather a list of preferences that I would like to happen but appreciate diviating may be a must.

My mum has also read them and she didn't comment & thought it was fine but then she was a trooper after mine and my sisters birth and was up and about within an hour and discharged herself after 3! lol
And I also think she too super excited about the moments she'll have with Millie. But she can always take her into another room to clean and dress her so they have alone time even if I am not in the shower.

depends if you have an epidural or not I think. I had epi with all three of mine, and it was a good few hours after birth before I could walk. For 2 of the births I was just given a sponge bath after the labour, but for the third I had a bath but I could hardly stand at all. I ended up falling on the floor and couldn't get back up again.

If you do not have an epidural (which you obviously won't if you're having a home birth) then the first thing you will do following the birth/skin to skin etc is have a shower/bath! I'm a student mw and so have delivered many babies and this is routine before moving to the ward. Don't listen to your friend ;) xx

I think you will be in the shower!
I had Charlie at 3 in the morning and was in the shower at 7! My partner and baby were with me as mw said I might get a bit light headed but I was fine!
There is no reason why you can't get in the shower after a few hours if you have a straight forward labour.

I think I had a shower right after (within an hour or so), if not I could have with no problem. I was out shopping the next day.

I'd say there's a good chance you'll be able to. You won't be having an epidural so you'll be able to walk, and even if you do feel wobbly and have o have a sitting down shower you'll probably feel better for it!

I had to transfer after my homebirth so showered at home 20 minutes after she was born. It is pretty grim :haha:

With my 1st son i had no pain relief but did have a episiotomy and lost quite a bit of blood so i was allowed a bath about hour after birth midwife advised i didnt shower as id lost so much blood and my temp was up she didnt want me fainting.

I have always had a shower within about three hours, one was about half hour after as she was so quick I was still in my dress I had been in all day (and it was summer, so hot and yucky).

after skin to skin before baby has been cleaned up things can get quite messy so I think a shower/bath will be just what you need. I had an epidural with my DS so legs were still not working that night and had to wait til the next morning. Was not nice lol. With my DD, I was in the bath in the room I laboured in within a few hours before I got took up to the ward. :)

...I've written my birth preferences for when my daughter arrives and I am planning a homebirth.

I showed them to my friend to read over, and she thought it was unrealistic that after skin to skin, placenta delivery & first feed that I want to go for a shower?

I have asked my mum if she would like to be the first person to dress the baby, and she's honoured to do so (I have no OH) so I would like to leave the two of them for that special moment together while I go for a shower.

So thinking this could be anything up to about 2/3 hours after birth - is it realistic to be able to go for a shower at this point? Or is that totally unrealistic with how you feel after having the baby?

Just to add my friend has no kids so no idea what she's basing her comment on :shrug: I think I would quite enjoy going and getting into a warm shower to clean up and get fresh - not to mention allowing grandma and baby that special moment together getting Millie clean and dressed and cuddled.

Not un realistic but maybe better to have a bath than shower because of being tired and maybe wobbly, I had a bath within the hour of having my 2nd x

With my first i didnt bath till the next day as my blood pressure was so low every time i stood up i passed out,With my second i had to have an Epi and showered about 6 hours after birth,Because i bled out with both my boys post birth i didnt even get given a wipe round as it would of been like pissing in the wind to be honest!,Id just be flexible and go with the flow depending how your birth goes,The first shower after having your little one is soooooo nice!

I had a shower about two hours after having my daughter, I was a bit wobbly and the whole place looked like a murder scene due to the blood loss, but my husband enjoyed the time to dress our little girl! X

Honestly I hopped off the table after they stiched me up (one stich) and went potty

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->