Showering after birth...

I had no epi, and felt steady enough to have a shower unaided after about an hour after giving birth.. It was absolute bliss, just leave the door ajar incase you feel wobbly, I loved it, so don't listen to your friend!

i had an epi and still showered an hour or so after delivery. all you want to after birth, aside from seeing and feeding your baby, is to get clean and eat:) and it is ok to do that:)

I don't think it's unrealistic at all.

I had an epi with both, and showered within a few hours...the nurse did stay close by in case I needed help or felt wobbly.

I had a bath within 2/3 hours after having both of mine....don;t think I would of had the strength to stand in a shower or tolerate the heat from it if im honest as I was still quite wobbly...

The best thing to do is just take things step by step and see what you feel like afterwards :thumbup:

x

I had a bath bout an hour after birthing both my babies, i was too drained to have a shower. 15-20 year ago in hospitals they used to dend you for bath after birth (my auntie told me this). I had both my kids at home also and 3rd will be home too.

I was wondering this myself!!! I assumed once the baby was born, you've had a bit of bonding time and they've done all they need to do to your lady parts then you're free to go bath/shower!!! This is how I envisioned it so good to know it's fairly standard.

Is it true you're not allowed to leave until you've peed as well?

I had my daughter by c-section at 2.55am, moved from high dependency to ward at 830 & was in shower at 1030am!! Considering my spinal, catheter, blood loss and the fact I had just had surgery (7.5 hrs previous) this was very soon!

Tbh - the nurses made a mistake as they got wrong info on me and thought I had forceps delivery. Big oops! The important thing was I felt fine and enjoyed my shower :)

I was wondering this myself!!! I assumed once the baby was born, you've had a bit of bonding time and they've done all they need to do to your lady parts then you're free to go bath/shower!!! This is how I envisioned it so good to know it's fairly standard.

Is it true you're not allowed to leave until you've peed as well?

Yes, that is true. :thumbup:

I had a bath about 2 hours after i had my son, by the time they stitched me up, stopped the bleeding etc. We both had a bath together which was quite nice as he was covered in meconium. I think if you have a shower it's important to have someone around and be aware you might feel faint/actually faint. I felt fine before and whilst having a bath but when i went to get out i couldn't and nearly fainted, i did lose a lot of blood though, so had to sit in the tub until they could help me out!

I was in the shower within 1.5 hours of giving birth, I had to leave the delivery room and go down a corridor to find it and was absolutely fine. It was one of the best showers I've ever had after a 34hr labour!

It's not unrealistic at all! I had a homebirth, and after I delivered the placenta, had some skin to skin, and fed her for about 30 minutes, I hopped in the shower. I was a bit wobbly because I lost so much blood, but my midwife helped me. That first shower after birth is excellent!

I don't see anything wrong in putting it in your birth plan!
It may not happen cos of unforeseen circumstances but I was encouraged to shower ASAP to keep stitches clean. That was about 9 hours after birth (I needed a spinal to have my stitches done cos the tear was quite bad, so I physically couldn't walk up till that point)

For me I would also like to shower at that point.. I had a big op and was open surgery not key hole in the lower abdomen and I felt so gross that I was determined to shower to feel better so I did with a little help and I have infact done that after any op so I dont see why giving birth I would have it any other way as there is nothing worse than feeling dirty + a shower helps you to feel better

If you're worried about feeling lightheaded you can get a bath and/or shower stool or seat from about £30. They are designed for elderly and disabled people and are very sturdy. My mum has arthritis and mobility problems so she uses one in the bath all the time. When I had my second eldest they had one in the shower in the delivery room and it was great, they are very easy to clean too so don't worry about getting blood all over it xx

I have just had my third homebirth last friday and just like the births before i Went and had a shower, my oh came with me and the midwifes watched the baby.i think they like somebody with you.

I was in the bath/shower within about an hour and a half of having all my babies - and with the last one, I had a natural third stage and the placenta took an hour to come out!! So I was up pretty soon after it was all finished.
I'm having a homebirth this time and will be having a shower ASAP. I'm looking forward to getting some clean PJ's on and getting into my own bed!

My midwife told me that I will get a shower as soon as possible after delivery and I can get DH to help me if I'm weak. DH is a shower fanatic anyway and he will happily do it if I can't.
I hear the shower after delivery is the best shower in a woman's life, it feels really good.

I had a shower less than 2 hours after my daughters birth and I had an epidural so its definitely possible.

lol
It must be just me, but it never even crossed my mind about putting showering into my birth plan!! :shrug: I just showered and cleaned up as soon as I was able to!
Rx

One thing to keep in mind with showering to soon after birth, especially if using scented soaps/shampoo/conditioner, is that your baby will know your smell, its part of how they biologically and chemically know you as mum. and if breastfeeding, helps with attachment and those first few feeds. So by all means, go have a shower when you're feeling up to it, but I'd give it 3-4 hrs, and not let shampoo/conditioner water run down over your breasts, and not use scented soaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->