Sibling Name

AmzyWamzy

Reaction score
Hi all!

After some advice regarding a sibling name for our little boy...

We have a nearly 4 year old called Fletcher. We have decided on Archer if we were to have a boy this time (due in October) but when we told my Dad our choice in name (I know, I shouldn't have done it! 🙄) he laughed & said we couldn't do that...

I know the names have very similar meanings - would this put you off of using the name for a sibling? I'm pretty much decided on it anyway and have learnt to not tell anyone else our name choice as people are so judgemental... I just wanted some opinions of people that I don't really know - (if that makes sense?!)

Thanks for reading!

X

Unless you and/or your husband are avid bow-shooters, yes, it would strike me as a bit strange or funny (haha funny). But I don't think that should stop you from choosing names that YOU love. It's really nobody else's business.

I literally didn't have a clue they had similar meanings. Stick with your choice Hun, I like them both and they sounds nice together.

I've learnt that you will never please everyone. Someone will have something to say about the meaning or the spelling or nickname potential so just block out the negativity and choose what you want xx

Its a bit on the odd side I suppose but maybe thats because I used to do archery as a hobby.

Doesnt matter what everyone else thinks anyway

The significance will be a lot smaller when they're older, they'll grow into individuals and people will not go around saying their names together. If you like the name then go for it, how often do people ask for your name and then say oh but what are your siblings called?

I too have no clue of this meaning or similarity in meaning. I think they r lovely names together xx

I think they are lovely names & sound well together.

I don't think it matters that they have the same/similar meanings. It's not like people know the meanings of names, you never hear people say this is my son & his name means. Name meanings are generally sort out by the individual.

My youngest is named Alister & this baby is going to be named Alexander/Alexandria. Alisters name is the Scottish variant of Alexander so has exactly the same meaning. It's not stopping me.

I had no idea fletcher had anything to do with archery and I think they're lovely names :) who cares what anyone else thinks, it's your choice!

I do archery but fletcher wasn't an immediate association for me. I think it'll generally be fine and almost like a secret link to their names.

I'm still clueless about the Fletcher association with archery.

I love both of the names, and in fact, if this baby is a boy, there is a very strong chance he will be named Archer :)

I had no clue of the meaning, and I think they go beautifully together! This is my 4th baby and this time for the first time I'm going to try really hard to not to tell ANYONE until baby is born :)

Honestly it would probably strike me as a little odd if I heard them together but not majorly. I'd maybe think about it the first time I heard it, then forget about it. I wouldn't change your name choice over it. Maybe Archie would be similar sounding if it does put you off though?

The only thing that sounds a little odd to me is how similar the names are. Would be like using Sally and Kelly.

The only thing that sounds a little odd to me is how similar the names are. Would be like using Sally and Kelly.

Except Sally & Kelly rhyme, so that's probably actually weirder :haha:

Except Sally & Kelly rhyme, so that's probably actually weirder :haha:

They don't rhyme any more or less than Fletcher and Archer. Sally and Kelly end in 'lly' Fletcher and Archer end in 'cher'. Same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->