side effect of prenatals (tmi)

spicyorange

Reaction score
So it turns out one of the side effects of prenatals with iron in is constipation. I'm highly prone to constipation anyway and I think I have a mild case of IBS but since I started taking then it's been really bad and now I have a tear from straining. Every time I go again it opens up and hurts like someone is shoving a knife up my arse.
Does anyone know if stool softeners are safe to take when ttc/pregnant? The packet is vague. I don't want to take laxatives as they give me cramps and I don't want to take anything that could delay ttc or harm a baby but I need to let it heal and I can't do that whilst straining. Iv been drinking loads of water, eating fibre etc but its not working and I know early pregnancy often causes constipation so I need to get it sorted asap. Really don't want to go to the Dr!

Prune juice is an excellent ttc/pregnancy safe stool softener. It tastes TERRIBLE in my opinion, but it does work, and it's safe. So it's a pretty good option. I used it throughout the 1st trimester of my pregnancy when I was really stopped up.

I know you mentioned water and fibre but please make sure you have sufficient fluid intake for any extra insoluble fibre (grains, metamucil etc.) as it works by absorbing fluid and if you don't have enough then it worsens constipation. Insoluble fibre from veggies and fruit is better as it doesn't absorb fluid the same way and just helps to soften the stool. Daily exercise such as a walk 1-2x per day helps stimulate movement in the GI tract as well. Like PP said prune juice is very effective for some however if you have a small tear it would probably be best to use a stool softener for a few days. Docusate sodium is thought to be safe in pregnancy (as it's not really absorbed into bloodstream) and it's what they give to moms after childbirth so I would use that and then try to transition to prune juice.

I see you mentioned maybe having mild IBS, have you ever done any elimination diets to see if any food triggers it for you? I had horrible 'IBS' for most of my life and then learned that I don't tolerate gluten well and by eliminating it I have felt way better. I know that sounds extreme when you're TTC but just something to keep in mind.

I'm so not looking forward to the constipation of prenatals and pregnancy! Hopefully this helps.

Thanks guys, I don't eat much gluten because I don't think it does me to much good but Iv never had tests out anything, it doesn't seem bad enough for that. Tbh I think it's made worse by stress and I'm pretty stressed at the moment (not good for ttc I know!)

I've been taken Feramax (iron pills) that my doctor prescribed me because I have low iron. Taking these pills I've noticed my bowel movements have changed a bit but not too much. It seems like they help my period too but it's almost a week late this cycle. Maybe it effected my cycle differently this month?

Stool softeners are generally considered safe for temporarily relief of constipation, but pregnant women need to take steps to prevent a recurrence of constipation in the future. Colace is not a natural stool softener but does not harm your baby or even TTC process. Agree on prune juice, if you can’t stand a taste try, half prune + half apple juice.
Eating foods high in fibre such as fruits, raw vegetables, whole grain products, nuts and dried fruits should help. Choose a breakfast cereal that has at least 5 grams of fibre per serving. These foods help soften the stool and promote natural bowel activity.
Long-term constipation – lasting three or more days – should be reported to your obstetrician immediately. Stool softeners may not be strong enough to relieve the problem so there may be a different medication or suggestion from your doctor to solve the constipation problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->