Signed off again... Not sure what to do?

moo2

Mommy to George
Reaction score
Hi ladies, I'm feeling a bit unsure of what to do...?
I was signed off work last week as my blood sugar was low (1.3) I was hypoglycaemic. I had a fasting blood sugar test, just been back to the docs for the reults. Good News: tests all came back ok. :happydance: Bad News: my BP & Heart Rate are still really raised, my blood sugar today was high (9.4) :dohh:
I've got to back in 2 weeks for a glucose tolerance test just in case but they don't think I have gestational diabetes which is fab :yipee:
However my doc thinks my raised BP & HR are connected with anxiety I have surrounding work issues. She wanted to sign me off for another 4 weeks! After further discussions and my concern about taking too much time off (plus I don't get sick pay) she changed it to 2 weeks with a review before I reurn to work...
She has put anxiety as the reason for my absence... I really don't know what to do. If she had put a physical condition down as the reason I would feel much better but I think anxiety makes me sound neurotic? Like how I feel is all in my mind? :wacko:
If thats the case I'm not sure if I should take the time off or just go back to work and try and pull myself together? My company is very strict on sick leave and as I have already been off twice this year this none pregnancy related absence would put me into an automatic disciplinary...
What do you think????

Hi hon

I have also been signed off work with a fast HR due to anxiety with work issues. I have been off for 8 days so far and I have also got next week off, I know exactly what you mean about it sounding neurotic I feel the same way. The doctor was ready to sign me off for another 2 weeks today but I said I wanted to see how I felt next week.

They cannot put you on a disciplinary because of your sickness before you were pregnant. All sickness when you are pregnant has to be logged separately and they cannot use it for dismissal. xx

Anxiety is a recognised medical problem, there is nothing neurotic about it. If your employer disagrees then sue them, simple as that really. (I know it's not really simple, but I'm just trying to make the point.)

Plus, it can count as a pregnancy related absence as women are more prone to anxiety and depression during pregnancy (it's actually just as common as postnatal depression).

Try not to worry about what your employer will make of it, that will only make it worse for you! Try to rest and make the most of your time off, see how you feel in two weeks :hugs:

Hi moo2

That's good news about the gestational diabetes.

Regarding your anxiety levels, your doc must be concerned to want to sign you off for four weeks. I think you should take the 2 weeks and see how you feel after that. Maybe a bit of the BP & heart rate was related to worrying about the diabetes?

As happy says, any illness related to pregnancy must be treated different to other sickness by your employer.

:hugs: Put your feet up hun and try to relax and not think about work

My bp was wonky when I was preggers mostly due to anxiety. It can be tough and I understand worrying about what people at work will think but it'll all work out and I really don't think anyone is going to think any less of you for trying to stay healthy with your LO

I had 2 months off work last year due to 'work related stress', so I can sympathise with what you are feeling hun, and I wasn't even pg at the time!

My company were great about it though, got occupational health involved and even changed my job and work hours to allow me to return to work. I hope yours realise that they do need to support you hun, and won't penalise you for this time off.

Although, as the others have said, this time off has to be treated different to pre-pregnancy.

Try not to worry about it too much, and rest up, or you will make yourself worse.:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->