Signs of preeclampsia?

Rachel89

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Usuaully my blood pressure is low, the lowest it has been so far is somewhere around 90/50, and it has been rising slightly at around 30 weeks. It has been rising to around 108/70. Yesterday I was feeling significantly out of breath, had very spotty vision for hours and got a headeach so I checked my blood pressure and it was 120/90. Not even outside of pregnancy has it ever been that high, but when I read about preeclampsia I read about it being 140/90 and higher.

Do they just look at it from an x number, or do they also take into consideration that my usual blood pressure is lower, and for me this is high. I am so scared though I do not want preeclampsia, and will be monitoring it for the coming days just in case.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or has anyone had a 1 of?

When I was pregnant last year I had boarder line pre-E. I had blurred vision, headache and felt weird, hard to explain but I felt drunk. My blood pressure was 140/90 and I had protein in my urine. They did a blood test but I don't know what they were looking for. I had to stay in hospital for 2 days on bed rest which brought my blood pressure down. It slowly kept rising though and I kept getting protein in my urine. I ended up being induced at 38 weeks, my little madam took a week to arrive though.
If you are concerned and keep getting headaches with spots I would go the hospital to get checked. You can't just keep checking your blood pressure xx

With my pre e & eclampsia my bp was always very high. At the point I had a eclamptic seizure it's was 218/128. My normal bp is 120/60 I had 4+ of protein my liver & kidneys were failing had no clotting what so ever. Was very unwell. When they do PET bloods they are looking for a rise in uric acid. I would just let them keep a close eye on you & baby. I hope you don't develop it but if you do. I'm sure they won't let any harm come to you & baby x

I would definitely call your doctor and discuss your symptoms with them.

But 120 is still right on the borderline for a normal BP reading. Even if you weren't pregnant, I have a hard time believing a doctor would be concerned about that number. (But I'm not a doctor, so do call and ask!)

I had pre-e with my last pregnancy and as I recall, you have to have two or more readings of 140+ (I forget the cut off for the bottom number) and protein in your urine. I never experienced any physical symptoms (headaches, vision changes, etc), but I had multiple readings above 140, even though my normal BP was low 100s. My highest reading was something like 160/110, which prompted an immediate trip to the hospital and a nurse who couldn't believe I had no physical symptoms and felt perfectly normal lol.

Have they detected any protein in your urine so far? That's the other thing that would need to be present. Otherwise, with high BP alone, it's technically just gestational hypertension, not pre-e. I was diagnosed with gestational hypertension for a couple of weeks before I was finally diagnosed with pre-e. In my case, it was all late on-set and I was induced at 39 weeks with no issues whatsoever. Everything returned to normal a couple of days after delivery and I have had normal BP and no protein in my urine throughout this pregnancy so far (and I'm over 39 weeks now).

So I would definitely call your doctor with those symptoms, but I wouldn't be too worried yet, myself. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->