Sil dropped him on his head!!!

clara123

Reaction score
We were going to my husbands brothers house for dinner last night so bathed little one and got him ready for bed before we went then were going to put him to bed at their house. So we were just sat around the breakfast bar I said I was going to feed him and put him to bed, my bil's girlfriend asked to hold him for a minute. She was holding him in one hand and went to get a drink with her other hand and she dropped him backwards. He fell on his head on the tiled floor. I just felt sick my poor baby. He was screaming I'd neve heard him cry like it and wouldn't stop for about 20 mins. We took him to a and e and they kept him in for observation and he's fine now but I can't help but feel a bit angry at sil. She couldn't apologise anymore, she was crying and obviously feels so bad but I just think she should have been more careful with him. It's not the first time she's had an accident she fell over while carrying my daughter who was two at the time and fell on top of her. I'm just not sure I'd feel comfortable her holding him anymore. And I can't get the image of him falling and lying on the floor out of my head. I just keep checking he's breathing. I feel sick.

It was an accident, glad lo is ok. Maybe if she wants to hold him again then she has to do so whilst she is sitting down, then when you both feel more comfortable then she can walk around with etc x

Woah that's awful, you must of been so distressed and I understand how you will feel uncomfortable now and think I would feel the same. Sil must reel SO bad tho.

OMG, actual nightmare situation. That must have been so so scary. Glad he's ok :hugs:
If I was her I wouldn't even ask to hold him again!

Oh no, poor baby, and poor you :( That must have been so, so scary. I bet she feels terrible. You have to be so careful with little wrigglemonsters - I don't even always feel confident holding Sophie in one arm and doing something else, and I'm used to her. Hope you're ok and that you can get rid of that awful image soon. Thank goodness he's ok. :hug:

Thats awful im glad hes ok!! When i hold other people's babies i always sit down - i couldnt imagine the horror of dropping someones child, she must feel so bad but at the same time she should be more careful.

I'm sure she didn't mean it.

I've dropped my LO before and I did (and still do) feel terrible about it. Accidents happen. I was completely intent on not going anyone near DD after it happened for fear that I would drop her again but my OH insisted I had to get over that fear or it would always be there.

I know it's scary.. I've been there.. The worst thing you can do is tell you're SIL she can't hold you're LO.. That will make her feel worse & I'm sure she didn't mean to & she's probably feeling guilty enough already.. I completely understand where you're coming from though....Glad LO is ok :hugs:

oh thats awful im soo glad he's okay!
maby next time suggest she sits down to hold him as it seems a bit irrisponsible of her to ask to hold him if she was planning to get a drink
x

So glad little un is ok! I feel sorry for your SIL too- she must feel terrible!! Accidents do happen - I don't think you should make her feel worse by not letting her hold him again :nope:

Poor guy, I agree with Anna if she wants to hold, shes gotta be sitting.

I'm glad that your LO is okay! Sounds like an accident to me though. I've dropped Kenneth one time and I felt absolutely horrible. Your SIL must feel so guilty.

I have been so nice to her since so she doesn't feel as bad and even asked her to hold him while I quickly went to the toilet- she was sat on the sofa. And I know it was a complete accident. I just can't help worrying about her holding him again especially as she doesn't seem that careful- holding him with one hand and drinking with the other. She's not used to kids so I just thought she would take extra care. But at the same time I don't want this to put her off asking to hold him. But I've got to think about his safety.

aw poor lo!! :hugs: glad hes ok. it was abit irresponsible of your sil to hold him one handed. im so careful with other peoples children i always sit down holding them. im sure she didnt mean it though and felt really bad afterwards. like pp's have said next time ask her to sit down.

<3

sod her feelings lo comes first - if she has a history of being careless and has dropped both your children then that would be enough for me tp not let her. I would be up front though but then i am a gobby cow xxxxxx

it was an accident, I'm sure she didn't do it on purpose, how many threads pop up on here about babies that have fallen off the sofa where their parents have put them, accidents happen even to parents, it could have been you holding him! Glad he's okay though

Aw thats rotten, glad your LO is ok hun. I agree with whats been posted about maybe letting your SIL hold your baby whilst she's sat down. Put you more at ease x

awwwwwww poor baby hope lo is ok bless :) but accidents do happen iv'e done lots of things to mine ooops lol but always seems worse when someone else does it doesn't it?? make a joke out of it nxt time, and just say OMG... you need to sit down if you wanna hold lo, that way you wont hurt her feelings and lo will hopefully be less likely to get hurt xxx

Absolutely an accident and I can completely empathise with how you must both feel.

DS fell from my hospital bed at just 3 days old when I had fallen asleep winding him on my shoulder. I had been so exhausted and DH begged staff to allow him to stay longer or even stay the night in a chair to help me out, but they assured him they would check in on me. When it happened I had never felt more terrified and for the longest time I felt so guilty even though I knew in my heart that it was in no way intentional -- despite hospital staff grilling me to see that I loved my baby and that my mental health was in check. It was simply pure exhaustion.

How old is your SIL?

If I were you, have a word with her so you address the issue. This may help to bring closure for you and allow you to begin to trust her more to hold your LO. Explain how while you're sure she wasn't trying to be careless, sometimes our LO's can wiggle or throw themselves back and catch us off guard if we don't have both hands ready and available. Let her know your fears about his safety, but explain that you want her to feel secure in holding him. Then suggest that for the time being you'd like her to at least be sitting while she holds him so that she can react better if he manages to wiggle loose.

I think by talking with her honestly and openly will make you both feel a bit better.

Thanks. She's 34 and I have been really nice to her as she obviously feels terrible. She isn't sure if she wants kids and I'm worried that this is going to make her feel that she shouldn't. She drinks a lot- not an alcoholic but will have a few drinks a night and altho she hadn't been drinking when she dropped him she had been drinking when she fell on my daughter. I'm just not sure that if she was looking after my kids that she would not drink. I'm just worried if she offers to look after them for the night I'm not really going to want her to but don't want to hurt her feelings. I completely trust my bil and he has a son from a previous relationship. I just don't want to hurt her feelings but then I've got to put my kids first. She said I don't go out enough and that they will have the kids so we can go out but I just won't feel entirely comfortable leaving them there. Am I over reacting? X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->