Simmeringly angry about School Entrant Health Questionnaire!

Racheldigger

Rowan Aeshna born 22/3/09
Reaction score
We had this School Entrant Health Questionnaire come home in Little Big Girl's school book bag today, along with lots of dreary po-faced bumph about how they're going to be measuring our children's height and weight in order 'to help understand and plan interventions for healthy lifestyle issues for children in your area', by which we can all understand 'to make parents who are already at their wits' end feel even more guilty and inadequate, while we're saving money by closing down the playgrounds and forcing the city dance studio into bankruptcy because they can't pay their rent' (but that's another rant altogether). Anyhow, once you've struggled through question 13, 'How many portions of fruit and vegetables does your child eat every day?' without explaining what they consider to be a portion, or whether if your child ate seven plums as a light snack yesterday, you can carry some of them over to today when she ate nothing but scrambled egg, buttered toast and cold custard, because SHE'S FOUR AND THAT'S WHAT FOUR-YEAR-OLDS DO, you then come to the killer, question 17, 'How often does your child take physical exercise out of school hours?' Now Rowan, as I have said, is four; we leave for school at half past eight, and if we're through the front door again in time to hear the clock strike six, it's a good day - if we've had to go shopping, we might not be home till seven. This is not the time for physical exercise: she's wound up, worn out and hungry, and what she needs is tea and quiet winding-down for bed. So, that leaves me ticking the box for '1-2 times a week', which a. makes me look like a bad mother, and b. is going to skew their raw data horribly, because all the working mothers in Lincolnshire are going to be doing the same, and so the people crunching the numbers are going to be saying 'Oo, look at all these fat, lazy schoolchildren in the reception class!' when it's NOT LIKE THAT AT ALL. What am I supposed to do, carry her asleep out of the car, wake her up, put her down in the garden, exhausted, overwrought and crying, and tell her to go and bounce on her space hopper while I cook her tea? Would that make me a better mother, or her a healthier child? This questionnaire has been devised by someone who still thinks that every child has a stay-at-home mother to walk them home from the school gate at half past three; it's a stupid questionnaire and it's going to give them stupid data, which they're going to do stupid things with because they haven't asked the simple question 'How long is your child's school day?' which would give them the tools they need to interrogate it. It's like the old disability awareness advert used to say: 'it's not that people don't care - it's just that they don't think'. I am going to strike this question through and write underneath 'This is a weasel question and I refuse to answer it', and see if there's any solidarity going in the after-school club.
:grr:

:shock: that's awful, I can't believe they would give those questionnaires to FOUR yr olds, I wouldn't have answered half the q's, kids in the uk (I'm English but living in Ireland) have really long school days from early on (DD1 started school at 5 and their day is 4.5 hrs - next yr it will be 5.5 hrs) and she's still adjusting to going to school for those hrs again and we offen have melt downs as she too tired, because forcing an overtired emotional child to exercise is a perfect way for them to hate it!!!

It seems like you are taking this quite personally and being defensive about it. They're trying to collect information in order to be helpful, it's not a conspiracy to make anyone feel bad. Please don't feel guilty about anything but I really don't think they're trying too. Put at a note at the end explaining what you've just explained there - she eats more fruit and veg some days, there's not time for exercise etc.

I think your over reacting just a little . The purpose of things like that is to identify fanilies whose children are over wieght and help them become more educated about healthy lifestyle .

I it doesn't apply to your child , then it doesn't apply and you already know that .

Tbh with things like the fruit and veg I would go on an average. My children have days when they have at least 10 portions but then others when they have none-I would do an average and say 5 or 6.
The same goes with the exercise-some weeks mine are out in the garden running around for hours (when it's nice) other weeks they get home and watch tv (when it's not).
It's also unfair to say that if you are a SAHM you have the time to get your children to do exercise. I would also see things like walking around the supermarket as shopping. Obviously if they are sat in the trolley it's not but if they are walking around with you and it takes you an hour then it's pretty good exercise.

I wouldn't get in a state over it. They are trying to help identify people that need help. If they didn't do things like this then people would have a go and say they don't care etc.

What do they do in after school club? At my mums school (she's a teacher) they have a homework/drawing area but also other activity areas such as dancing and games like hopscotch

Do you have to fill it in? The questions do sound a bit silly for a 4 year old, I would probably just not bother to send it back.

I really don't see what the issue is? Because they asked how many fruit and veg your child eats? Don't answer it if you feel upset in some way by it.

I do think these things are important and good and getting an idea about people's beliefs and actions, like incidentally you said she ate 7 plums yesterday or something like that, whereas the recommendation is 5 different fruits and veg. So if they eat 2 apples it's really only counted as one! Also ideally the mix should be mostly veg, 5 portions of fruit isn't ideal as fruit is sugary and can cause tooth decay.

If they find that loads don't eat 5 portions then they will need to look into why,mans that may include fruit and veg discounts and Services, they are here to help not chastise.

I know I didn't know it needed to be different fruit and veg to count and that's why they do these the things, because then then can give advice and help. If high say you child doesn't exercise and as does most of the class they will look around at the area and address things like parks and dance classes. However exercise doesn't need to be as official as that, kids being active is exercise, seriously if I ran around half as much as the kids I'd be so fit lol.

Give yourself a break, your doing a great job, the questionnaire is nothing personal.

My son came back over weight for his age as he's pretty tall for his age. I wouldn't say he was fat. You can see his ribs and he's constantly running around and equally lazy at the same time. He spends a lot of time on his computer but takes time out to jump on his trampoline or run around outside on according on the weather. Just take it all with a pinch of salt. Your doing a brilliant job.

As for fruit and veg my son got really pick after going on holiday with his dad (they ate take away the whole time so its not a surprise) however he really likes pickles and tomatoes so I make sure he eats a couple a day. Then hide the rest in his dinner. A portion of fruit and veg by the age of 6 should be the same size an adults portion, which in my mind seems a bit big since children need less calories I couldn't work this out and the only way to make that work is to cut out some of the other nutritions he needs. I really wouldn't worry to much about it.

Stats make everyone look inadequate! They get skewed by the minority to make the majority of us look and feel inferior. There are after all, lies, damned lies and statistics.

However, if it's an anonymous thing then just fill it in, send it back and forget about it. If you're expected to answer things like that on an individual, to be analysed by your HV, level, then I'd be more reticent about answering questions so concisely like you say.

If however, it's just for the boffins to feel good about themselves and to send out more figures and press releases then don't worry. Just focus on what you're doing for/with your little girl and ignore the rest of the nanny state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->