Sister Wives

L

Lubbird

Just started watching it!

About the show

It got me thinking about polygamy as a lifestyle and my thoughts on it, so share yours! I'm interested to know what other people thing about it and if there are any practicing polygamists here.

I watched the first season, then it kind of got silly so I stopped watching. I've also watched the HBO show 'Big Love' (man who is married to three wives and living in a suburb in Utah, hiding his beliefs from others).

I can sort of see the appeal for a man but for a woman? No way.

I would say though that if men and women are willing to do plural marriage then why not make it legal? I am against children being forced to join an older man though, and young boys being run off compounds so that the men could have more wives. But as long as those making the decision are 18+ and willing, why not?

But again, not my thing.

No, i dont understand it at all.

I am a Mormon, there are several "break away" groups who have kept the practice, and i just dont like it. There is no need at all.

Anyone that knows anything about my church always raises the polgamy point, yes it was practiced, but it was legal and not unsual, and it was done because the early members of the church were killed, esp the men, men took on other widows and wifes too support them and their families. I can understand that, there was a purpose to it but there is no purpose now surely?

I beleive other religions do too, which as armish and muslims, but i dont think may practice today in modern society even where its legal as there is no need.

i dont understand why a woman would want to share her husband with another woman? If you read teh bible there are lots of examples of people having several wives and it always seems to lead to frictions in families, lol, there is always the "favourate" wife, what happens if that isnt you?

I am watching this as we speak (recorded lol) I also watch big love, I find it interesting :shrug:

i dont understand why a woman would want to share her husband with another woman? If you read teh bible there are lots of examples of people having several wives and it always seems to lead to frictions in families, lol, there is always the "favourate" wife, what happens if that isnt you?

When I was first reading the story of Jacob, Leah, and Rachel I figured one would kill the other. Like Leah would kill Rachel because Jacob loved Rachel. Or Rachel would kill Leah because it was easier for Leah to have children.

Also, about the purpose, I only watched a few episodes of Big Love and they talked about different levels of heaven, like the more wives you had, the higher up you'd be in eternity. Again, I really don't know but if that is what some people believe then I guess that would be their purpose? Truthfully I just think it is a sexual reason more than about love. Sure, they can come up with so many excuses but I think that is all that it comes down to.

I watch Big Love, such a good programme! I don't know much about Mormonism, but being Muslim I know a bit about Muslim men being allowed to have more than one wife. It's neither compulsory nor an obligation but if need be they can have up to 4 wives at a time. The reason is that back in the day there were more women to men, a lot of women were becoming widows, especially with wars going on, so men would take on several wives to give the women a home and a stable future. The man however must treat all his wives exactly the same, and should have their own living accommodations and he should divide his time equally between them all. If you think about it, the responsibility on a man is huge! I don't know why the hell any man would choose to have more than one wife!

I can understand the reasoning behind the whole thing, however I think in this day and age it's more done focused around sex. Men are animals(!) and I think the 'more than one wife' thing is sometimes used as an excuse.

I'd never ever want to share my husband, I couldn't handle it! I do however find myself thinking about it though when I've got the twins screaming in both of my ears. Another wife would definitely come in handy then! :winkwink:

mon +
When I was first reading the story of Jacob, Leah, and Rachel I figured one would kill the other. Like Leah would kill Rachel because Jacob loved Rachel. Or Rachel would kill Leah because it was easier for Leah to have children.

Also, about the purpose, I only watched a few episodes of Big Love and they talked about different levels of heaven, like the more wives you had, the higher up you'd be in eternity. Again, I really don't know but if that is what some people believe then I guess that would be their purpose? Truthfully I just think it is a sexual reason more than about love. Sure, they can come up with so many excuses but I think that is all that it comes down to.

Well it doesnt say anything in the Bible or Book of Mormon about the more wives you have the higher your estate, so its something these "break off" groups added later to prolong their reason to do so.

Yeah that was the exact biblical example i was thinking of. especially find it funny that the meaning of their kids names were a way to snub each other, i cant remember the meaning of the names, but it struck me clearly that they obvioulsy didnt enjoy the situation of having to share their husbands attention.

Nut_Shake - I don't know much about Muslim traditions/culture, does that mean your husband could legally take more wives? (This is me assuming your husband is a Muslim too).

I personally have no issue with it and if it works for them and makes them happy then good stuff. I don't know if I would be able to live in a house with 3 other wives, and take it turns to have a night with my husband, and share responsibility of 13 children. I always had a picture in my head of me being married and living in a nice 3 bed home just me and OH and 2 children (and my beloved cats!). It does seem a tiny bit strange to me that someone would dream of being in that situation but I guess I just wasn't brought up that way. The whole thing definitely interests me though, especially the family dynamic and the way the wives are with each other. Watching the show I felt as though the wives had a a great deal of respect for each other and always worked maturely through any problems.

Nut_Shake - I don't know much about Muslim traditions/culture, does that mean your husband could legally take more wives? (This is me assuming your husband is a Muslim too).

I personally have no issue with it and if it works for them and makes them happy then good stuff. I don't know if I would be able to live in a house with 3 other wives, and take it turns to have a night with my husband, and share responsibility of 13 children. I always had a picture in my head of me being married and living in a nice 3 bed home just me and OH and 2 children (and my beloved cats!). It does seem a tiny bit strange to me that someone would dream of being in that situation but I guess I just wasn't brought up that way. The whole thing definitely interests me though, especially the family dynamic and the way the wives are with each other. Watching the show I felt as though the wives had a a great deal of respect for each other and always worked maturely through any problems.

Yea he could, he's forever trying to convince me that we should get a second wife! But his reasons would not be innocent, I know how he thinks! He keeps telling me it would be great for me to have another wife in the house, it would be like having a best friend live with me, we would share everything etc. However I know that the only reason he wants another wife is because he fantasises about having threesomes together! He keeps telling me he has a lot of love to give and I'm selfish for keeping it all to myself... He's such a loon! :haha:

Yea he could, he's forever trying to convince me that we should get a second wife! But his reasons would not be innocent, I know how he thinks! He keeps telling me it would be great for me to have another wife in the house, it would be like having a best friend live with me, we would share everything etc. However I know that the only reason he wants another wife is because he fantasises about having threesomes together! He keeps telling me he has a lot of love to give and I'm selfish for keeping it all to myself... He's such a loon! :haha:

Oh my :haha: well at least he isn't going to go out and get another wife without your consent!

I am a Mormon, there are several "break away" groups who have kept the practice, and i just dont like it. There is no need at all.

Anyone that knows anything about my church always raises the polgamy point, yes it was practiced, but it was legal and not unsual, and it was done because the early members of the church were killed, esp the men, men took on other widows and wifes too support them and their families. I can understand that, there was a purpose to it but there is no purpose now surely?

I beleive other religions do too, which as armish and muslims, but i dont think may practice today in modern society even where its legal as there is no need.

The Amish are not polygamists! It would get them excommunicated, they are mainstream adult baptist Christians closely related in their beliefs to mennonites, I know their dresses look like FLDS but that is where the similarities end believe me. Personally I see nothing wrong with polygamy and I do know some people in real life who have been involved in it. In Islam a man who has more than one wife has to provide each one with their own home, or at the very least their own self contained living space (including bathroom and kitchen) without one big home. Also each marriage is classed as totally seperate; there are no threesomes (I know you were joking nutshake but didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea!), and also the wives don't marry 'each other' as well as the husband; as with fundamentalist mormon sects. Also in Islam it is more of a social practice with practical reasons behind it; and certainly isn't a 'principle' of the faith which salvation depends upon like in some fundamentalist mormon groups.

In Islam its very hard because a man has to provide from his own pocket for each of his wives and the provision has to be equal, both in terms of time and financially. I think as long as people don't marry more than one person legally in whichever country, then it isn't really anyone's business and I think laws that persecute those who live together in a polygamous marriage despite not having legally married in the eyes of the law, its a breach of human rights. I think it would even be good for the government to make the civil partnership system include polygamous marriages; in Holland there was a man with two 'wives' whom he married in a civil partnership (this guy wasn't of any religion) but in the UK only a gay couple can marry in a civil partnership. Sister Wives, I watch it but I found out a lot of unpleasant stuff about the family like they keep filing for bankruptcy (the papers are all online), seems they run up huge debts and then file; also they have been on food stamps and other welfare payments at various points-even when they were first filming the series; if you can't afford to legitimately support your wives and kids Kody Brown, then don't do it. It only reinforces the stereotype that all polygamists are welfare cheats when this simply isn't true.

Oh and if you love sister wives or are even just interested in fundamentalist mormon polygamy; this blog is fascinating

https://sisterwivesblog.blogspot.com/

N.B. It is quite biased against polygamy as a practice and I definitely don't agree with many of the views espoused but it is interesting nonetheless. For example I found out through this blog that apparently Meri, Christine and Robyn's ex husband are all blood related to one another, so Robyn's kids from her first marriage are cousins of their new step brothers and sisters anyway. Also Christine is the granddaughter of Rulon C. Allred.

The Amish are not polygamists! It would get them excommunicated, they are mainstream adult baptist Christians closely related in their beliefs to mennonites, I know their dresses look like FLDS but that is where the similarities end believe me. Personally I see nothing wrong with polygamy and I do know some people in real life who have been involved in it. In Islam a man who has more than one wife has to provide each one with their own home, or at the very least their own self contained living space (including bathroom and kitchen) without one big home. Also each marriage is classed as totally seperate; there are no threesomes (I know you were joking nutshake but didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea!), and also the wives don't marry 'each other' as well as the husband; as with fundamentalist mormon sects. Also in Islam it is more of a social practice with practical reasons behind it; and certainly isn't a 'principle' of the faith which salvation depends upon like in some fundamentalist mormon groups.

In Islam its very hard because a man has to provide from his own pocket for each of his wives and the provision has to be equal, both in terms of time and financially. I think as long as people don't marry more than one person legally in whichever country, then it isn't really anyone's business and I think laws that persecute those who live together in a polygamous marriage despite not having legally married in the eyes of the law, its a breach of human rights. I think it would even be good for the government to make the civil partnership system include polygamous marriages; in Holland there was a man with two 'wives' whom he married in a civil partnership (this guy wasn't of any religion) but in the UK only a gay couple can marry in a civil partnership. Sister Wives, I watch it but I found out a lot of unpleasant stuff about the family like they keep filing for bankruptcy (the papers are all online), seems they run up huge debts and then file; also they have been on food stamps and other welfare payments at various points-even when they were first filming the series; if you can't afford to legitimately support your wives and kids Kody Brown, then don't do it. It only reinforces the stereotype that all polygamists are welfare cheats when this simply isn't true.

sorry, i thought i saw a documentery that showed the higher arhie giving more than one wife to the armish if they were faithful, i must have misunderstood, (or dreamt it lol).

I know this is a kind of old thread but I would love to have a sister wife or 2,3,4!! I love the show and if I was ever given the chance to join them I would in a heart beat. I would never join a compound where my daughters would be forced to marry a old man at a young age. The thing that I like about Cody is he wants women and not little girls. I ask my OH if I can have sister wives all the time. I am a member of the LDS church and I am raising my kids up in the church. My oldest daughter watches this show with me and has said that she would like to be a sister wife when she is grown. I see nothing wrong with having more than 1 wife if you can deal with the fact that your husband is going to be with other women. I could live the way that Cody and his gals live but like I said I could never live on a compound where I am told who to be and what to do. I hope that one day I have a chance to have sister wives and be a part of a huge family!!

I know this is a kind of old thread but I would love to have a sister wife or 2,3,4!! I love the show and if I was ever given the chance to join them I would in a heart beat. I would never join a compound where my daughters would be forced to marry a old man at a young age. The thing that I like about Cody is he wants women and not little girls. I ask my OH if I can have sister wives all the time. I am a member of the LDS church and I am raising my kids up in the church. My oldest daughter watches this show with me and has said that she would like to be a sister wife when she is grown. I see nothing wrong with having more than 1 wife if you can deal with the fact that your husband is going to be with other women. I could live the way that Cody and his gals live but like I said I could never live on a compound where I am told who to be and what to do. I hope that one day I have a chance to have sister wives and be a part of a huge family!!

thats really interesting! Wouldn't you be in trouble for getting into polygamy though? I thought LDS no longer accept it xx

I'm really not sure how I feel about it. It is 1000% not for me, but other than that...I'm just not sure. One thing that REALLY bugs me is how they keep saying they "aren't doing anything wrong". Well...what you're doing is illegal. Whether or not it should be isn't for me to say, but if you are knowingly engaging in an illegal act, then you ARE doing something wrong!

I do love the show (though Kody drives me insane. He really gets on my nerves) though! Lol

It isn't illegal in most states/countries though unless you marry all the wives in a courthouse or registry office; whereas most polygamists marry only one wife, if any, in the legal sense. Only a few Southern US states have what are actually called 'anti-mormon' laws, so-called because they banned any cohabitation with the aim of preventing mormon polygamy when it was still a mainstream tenet of that church. In Utah such co-habitation is illegal (even if you are a family that have a lady lodger for a long period of time-its illegal!) but in Nevada where they are currently-it is not.

I love Sister Wives! I was always interested in the lifestyle even before this show came out. I could see the benefits and the struggles with being polygamist. My fiance says no way on this topic though. We have talked about it before.

It isn't illegal in most states/countries though unless you marry all the wives in a courthouse or registry office; whereas most polygamists marry only one wife, if any, in the legal sense. Only a few Southern US states have what are actually called 'anti-mormon' laws, so-called because they banned any cohabitation with the aim of preventing mormon polygamy when it was still a mainstream tenet of that church. In Utah such co-habitation is illegal (even if you are a family that have a lady lodger for a long period of time-its illegal!) but in Nevada where they are currently-it is not.

Well, exactly. Where they started everything (including when that quote was shot) what they were doing was illegal. Whether it is where they are right now...they knowingly engaged in an illegal act and then acted all hurt and put upon because "we aren't doing anything wrong". THAT really annoys me.

I live in Utah, and my grandpa in law who is now past, was the prophet of the 2nd biggest polygamy church in practice - however, they are modern. (Apostolic United Bretheran) In fact, the Browns (on the Sister Wives show) belong to the church :) I can't say TOO much but I can say that I have family who are in plural marriage (obviously, lol) and my in-laws know the Browns very well! Actually, my MIL used to work with Christine & Meri a few years ago. There children have came up from Nevada this past summer and hung out with other kids who live a stones throw away from me. (They know them from the church). The Browns & the "Big Love" show (which is really funny...I live in Bluffdale, Utah but my DH works in Sandy, Utah...which is the city where the Hendrickson's on BL live) are not off into a characterized skit. I do see the older fashioned polygamist at Wal-Mart & at my daughter's elementary school, but not ALL the time. The modern polygamists definitely blend into society and unless I told you which houses around me are of those who live in plural marriage (I'd say roughly 4 houses on my block, with two homes being of Catholics, one home of atheist and all the rest are mainstream Mormon) you would not be able to tell unless I gave you the specific things too look for in their "modern" styles. I understand there are those that don't agree or understand why anyone would practice polygamy, but it's either because someone is comfortable about it, or it is a truly deep rooted faith. Modern polygamist (I say modern because I don't know anyone from the FLDS, TLC, Centennial Park, etc... the more older fashioned groups, but my DH does for sure!) are good people, who are just trying to do what they feel is right. The church is set with good people who just want to be able to practice their faith without being discriminated against. The Browns are just one example of one family in this community/religion. I love my DH, I love my family regardless, and I respect their church. DH and I have talked about plural marriage and right now at this moment we are really just trying to focus on getting our family set-up but in the future I wouldn't mind seriously thinking about adding to our family with another wife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->