Sister Wives

I love Sister Wives :) Kody is a bit of an ass but the original 3 wives seem kind, pleasent and clever! Not a big fan of Robyn she seems very like Kody and i think deep down she thinks shes better than the other ladies. just my opinion.

In real life, Kody is as egotistical as what he seems on tv. LOL. Also, Robyn is a nice person but she is definitely different than the other two. She is divorced and my family also know her ex husband really well. She left him (ex-hubby) with a lot of debt, LOL.

I've always thought the polygamist lifestyle to be very fascinating. I really like the idea of having such close ties to other people, having this close-knit little community, sharing life with you, right there in your own home. Of course, that's only if the husband-sharing doesn't bother a woman, and if the women aren't in competition or easily upset by one another, which could break up the feeling of community and friendship. I am fascinated by communes for this same reason.

I enjoiy watching the show and seeing the different lifestyle. Yes it was illegal where they are living but I think as long as all parties are consenting no harm is done and there shouldn't be any issues with it.
I don't mind Robyn but she doesn't fit in with the rest of the family right now, but that could be because she hasn't been in the family for years like the others have.

If anyone wanted to take a trip to Utah here, I could take you to some of the polygamist churches. (Yes, since they are legal "churches" you can go to there services on Sunday). But, I'm not talking about the FLDS. I'm talking about the churches that don't do the child brides. :)

It isn't illegal in most states/countries though unless you marry all the wives in a courthouse or registry office; whereas most polygamists marry only one wife, if any, in the legal sense. Only a few Southern US states have what are actually called 'anti-mormon' laws, so-called because they banned any cohabitation with the aim of preventing mormon polygamy when it was still a mainstream tenet of that church. In Utah such co-habitation is illegal (even if you are a family that have a lady lodger for a long period of time-its illegal!) but in Nevada where they are currently-it is not.

Well, exactly. Where they started everything (including when that quote was shot) what they were doing was illegal. Whether it is where they are right now...they knowingly engaged in an illegal act and then acted all hurt and put upon because "we aren't doing anything wrong". THAT really annoys me.

yeah I get ya, if I wanted to be in a polygamous family I wouldn't do so in Utah xx

I love Sister Wives :) Kody is a bit of an ass but the original 3 wives seem kind, pleasent and clever! Not a big fan of Robyn she seems very like Kody and i think deep down she thinks shes better than the other ladies. just my opinion.

deep down she thinks shes better? She doesn't hide it very well then, its written all over her face :D. I've known some people in polygamous marriages (mainly Muslim but also online I have known those of other faiths as well) and Robyn reminds me too much of certain women who came into a marriage for all the wrong reasons and with not the best of intentions, I think she sees the first three wives as some kind of threat she needs to get rid of and that can't be good. Although it may sound terrible I would be highly suprised if Kody is still married to her in ten years, even though she does have a baby with him now xx

summer rain- Actually, even though Utah has harsh penalties, it's not a bad place to be in plural marriage because you would be around many others in the same kind of marriage so you wouldn't be alone in that aspect. As long as you mind your own business, and not start trouble, Utah doesn't really go after you. The reason why they "went after" the Browns is because they went on national television.

johnsprincess- I feel like you are making an extremely unfair judgment on people that you just know through a television screen. We (my family) actually know these people, have worked with these people, they have taught my sister in law's when they were little in their church owned school. While I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you were talking in the legal sense of them doing wrong (which you are absolutely correct), they have a point. The "we are not doing anything wrong" is essentially correct. Of course, every ones morals are different, however they are trying to practice their faith and every single person who is in that marriage is doing it out of free will, and they are all consenting adults. They are absolutely genuine about what they are doing and for people to judge them based off of what THEY feel is correct in religion aspect, and in marriage wrong. That is for them [Browns] to decide. Unless you actually know these people in person and for real, please understand that A LOT of it is hyped for ratings. They wanted to appear on television to denounce the polygamy stereotypes. I am really sorry that their lifestyle and feeling that they are not doing anything wrong annoys you, that's unfortunate because they are awesome people.

summer rain- I also want to add that includes no "child brides"....yuk! However as serious as that is, the majority of the modern plural families are much more mainstream in culture and would never think of doing something so disgusting.

SLCmommy I am fully supportive of polygamy and know a great deal about the various polygamist groups in Utah and elsewhere; its a special interest of mine and I am also an amateur genealogist and have some friends from the UK whose great-great-great-great uncles or aunts were founding fathers (or mothers) of Utah and they were often involved in Polygamy when it was still legal and considered a normal part of the Mormon religion. One of my friends her distant cousin's DH was prosecuted for having two wives even though when he married them it was perfectly legal, which is kind of harsh. But in my own personal religious faith it wouldn't be ok to be in a polygamous marriage somewhere where it was actively illegal on the books; even if it wasn't prosecuted, because its a must to obey the law of the land unless it comes into conflict with something absolutely obligatory in our faith, such as praying or fasting xx

SLCmommy I am fully supportive of polygamy and know a great deal about the various polygamist groups in Utah and elsewhere; its a special interest of mine and I am also an amateur genealogist and have some friends from the UK whose great-great-great-great uncles or aunts were founding fathers (or mothers) of Utah and they were often involved in Polygamy when it was still legal and considered a normal part of the Mormon religion. One of my friends her distant cousin's DH was prosecuted for having two wives even though when he married them it was perfectly legal, which is kind of harsh. But in my own personal religious faith it wouldn't be ok to be in a polygamous marriage somewhere where it was actively illegal on the books; even if it wasn't prosecuted, because its a must to obey the law of the land unless it comes into conflict with something absolutely obligatory in our faith, such as praying or fasting xx

I definitely see your point! :winkwink:

I see this show its very interesting and different from the norm.. But I dont know how they can share their husband and know one night he will be with one wife and then the next with you. I don't know! they say its because of Love but I would not share my husband with anyone! There has to be a favorite one even if they deny it. I think its because of Sex but also because the men want to feel more powerful. Men are always bragging about how many women they got and I think polygamist men just want to feel powerful because of the wife's they have...

What about women who are polyamourous (sp?) meaning she has more than one BF and live with eachother! Im watching the Anderson show and its coming up.

This is not my thing! but a threesome sounds better LOL (one night thing) but also I would never do this either..

2009Mommy - Some men in plural marriage are absolutely for the status, but it's unfair to gather everyone up in one sterotype. There are a lot of polygamist marriages who are all in it for the honest reasons (religious reasons)

2009Mommy - Some men in plural marriage are absolutely for the status, but it's unfair to gather everyone up in one sterotype. There are a lot of polygamist marriages who are all in it for the honest reasons (religious reasons)

Exactly and trust me men just in it for the intimate side; are sorely disappointed because with all the responsibility it is just too much hassle to be in it purely for that xx

summer rain - honestly, the ones who are just in it for the status...they all end up breaking up within a few years. No really...in my area at least. The only young plural marriages (20s, 30s, 40 year olds) who are in it and STAY in it are because they feel it's the best way to serve the Lord. Once $$ plays a role, and all the sister wives and fighting, having babies and demanding more of the mans time....they say ta-hell with it all. But, the ones in it for the honest reasons (I only know modern plural families) have very, very beautiful families and treat everyone with respect. It's amazing.

I agree. I know of quite a few cases and if anyone is not in it for genuine reasons; then the marriage won't last. You'll always get jerks marrying for visas, convenience, status etc etc even in monogamy. I can only speak as a Muslim but even in Muslim countries these days polygamy is looked down on; so anyone entering into it usually gets spoken about and fingers pointed at them a lot-instead of it raising their status in everyone's eyes it lowers it so if they marry for status reasons that is rather silly of them xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->