Sitting up for long periods of time

faille

Mummy & WTT
Reaction score
I hope someone may be able to shed some light..?

Back when Violet was first starting to sit up with me supporting her still, we were at the baby group and the HV there said she shouldn't sit up for too long as it's not good for LO's to be sitting or standing for too long during the day.

Does anyone know if this is true and until what point? Did she just mean it because Violet couldn't support herself yet? Once they start being able to pull themselves up, we can't exactly stop them from sitting up can we?!

TIA, I'm always just a bit paranoid about letting her sit for too long, even though she's very happy and content to do that and can lay down from sitting if she wants to. :shrug:

I've never heard of this before...Ruby spends ages sitting up.

nope i have never heard of this! once children can sit up they sit up surely!

Nope never heard of that either. Surely once they can sit unsupported it's good for them to do so, it'll strength their back muscles to help them learn to crawl, stand up and walk.

Euan sits up loads!

Ok cheers girls.
The HV who said this seems a bit old fashioned anyway so maybe it's some outdated thing? She's also said before that it's a good job Violet was born on 28 April, not the 29, as then she'd have been born in a leap year :dohh: so I don't exactly like to pay what she says too much attention!

gee, some hv's are just absolute nutters aren't they! I have never heard of that before, but they push tummy time on us heaps here. Maybe she meant she should be having lots of tummy time rather than sitting. I didn't do much tummy time (cuz she hated it so much!) now she's a bum shuffler.

I was always led to believe they shouldn't stand too much too early. But Abby always wants to be on her feet.

If anything I worry she doesn't sit enough. She's either lying on her play mat or standing on my lap.

I'd never heard of this either. Now she can sit, she tends to get a bit arsey if I lie her down anyway...

Ok cheers girls.
She's also said before that it's a good job Violet was born on 28 April, not the 29, as then she'd have been born in a leap year :dohh: so I don't exactly like to pay what she says too much attention!

ROFL! Oh dear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->