Slap cheek exposure and pregnancy.

MummaMoo

Mum to my gorgeous girl!
Reaction score
Anyone had any experience with being exposed with slap cheek when pregnant?
Currently 23 weeks and we think our 2 year old has had/got it. She had an upset tummy just over a week ago, then about 3/4 days after that she had bright red cheeks for a couple of days, and now on her body she's got a pale lumpy rash in patches. She's not herself (willingly went to bed BEFORE her bedtime!)
Just been reading up on it and there are some worrying stories out there, so just wondering what to do!?

Go to the drs, they can do a blood test to check immunity. Most people have had it before so hopefully you have too.

Thanks Lora, I know it's what I need to do but with my doctors you usually can't get an appointment for a week or two!? SO frustrating!

I'm pretty sure my two year old had it a few weeks back. 2 days of fever with sore throat (strep culture negative) then it broke then red cheeks with small bumps them rash on his belly, arms and legs that went away in about a week. Since there isn't anything that can be done I didn't bother calling my ob. I figure i probably had it as a child and also there isn't anything to be done if exposure happens. I have an appt tomorrow and may bring it up if I remember.

If you have been exposed to it and not had it before, there's a small chance of passing it to your unborn baby. There's an even smaller chance of it affecting the baby. That being said, if you are the small percentage, its effects can be devastating unless caught. There are things that can be done for an unborn baby showing signs of having slapped cheek, so it's best to let your go know and get a blood test. Usually the effects are most serious for a woman pregnant between 9-20 weeks (or thereabouts), so you're past that date, but I would still get a test. Does your doctor surgery have a nurse? I had the nurse draw a sample after I was exposed by my daughter when I was 11 weeks pregnant. I also had a long talk with the virologist at the hospital who took it very seriously. I'm passing on the info she told me. Luckily I ended up being immune due to a previous infection I don't remember having. Best of luck!

Agree with lady- there are things that can be done- msinly ultrasounds to check baby for hydrops. Transfusions can be given if needed.
I think it's a really unlikely scenario but the pp was definitely wrong saying that they can't do anything x

Actually it's really quite serious if you catch it during pregnancy and aren't immune. You should call your OB ASAP. In your prenatal panel of blood tests they should have checked your immunity to 5th disease ( slap cheek) and most of the time ppl are immune but you really have to check it out ...

There isn't anything. There are no meds that can be taken if you are exposed. Yes extra ultrasounds but otherwise there isn't anything that can be done to prevent passing to fetus or to treat if there is exposure. Yes it can be serious if you catch it but other than ultrasounds to assess baby there is no treatment. Only a very small percentage is passed to fetus. So yes, nothing can be done if exposed. They would need to confirm the exposure. If you didn't get ill then most likely you weren't affected or you were immune. I'm already getting frequent ultrasounds (have one with high risk in a week actually) but risk is biggest is prior to 20 weeks. Baby would show signs about 2-4 wks after exposure according to literature. Again it's unlikely baby would be affected (or you) and unless your symptomatic then there really isn't much of concern. Yes your dr can check for immunity just in case.

And I'm not saying it isn't serious so sorry if it sounded that way. It can be but its not likely. Def if you are symptomatic you should tell your dr. If you don't develop symptoms you could mention it too; just not sure anything would be done.

You need to check IGG antibodies in blood serum and IGM. You don't need to necessarily be symptomatic to be harbouring an acute infection. Symptoms can be different in adults. Not to freak anyone out but I've seen first hand what an acute infection can do if a fetus is affected. Just call your dr and take it from there :)

Thanks ladies, I'm going to call the doctor when I finish work. I don't expect they'll be able to see me but at least can get it on record with a phone appointment. I'm getting an extra scan next week for something else so will mention it to the consultant then too.

So..... when I got home I was met with the in-laws who had taken DD to the docs. They mentioned we suspected she may have had slap cheek but that wasn't confirmed. Instead they have got her on antibiotics to treat her for tonsillitis.
Have been looking into other childhood illnesses and Scarlet Fever fits the symptoms she had too.
By the time they left (leaving us to feel like bad parents for not taking her to the docs ourselves) it's been too late to call the dr to ask advice regarding the possible slap cheek thing.

So have called the Dr. She said that there's lots of positive things going for me but is sending me for a blood test, just in case.

I work in early education and when pregnant with ds I was exposed in preschool and luckily did not get it but I am not immune they retested me last week as I work with infants and toddlers and have and toddler I never got it still so I'm and risk if exposed again. It's hard because you don't know it's contagious until by he slapped cheeks show then it's too late to prevent getting it you just need to go get tested and they can tell you if you got it sorry to hear your dealing with this right now

Thank you, the Dr was really positive so I'm not worried too much. Had my bloods drawn this afternoon so will know next week.

glad you were able to get labs. Hopefully it will show immunity so there isnt any worry. I'm glad the dr was able to reassure you

That's great it's no concerning glad you dodged that one! It's good your dr is thorough and running tests to be safe gl!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->