Slapped cheek virus-advice needed!!

spacegirl

Reaction score
Hey,

my colleague's daughter has slapped cheek virus. My boss kindly told me of this and suggested i work from home for the next 3 weeks. But i'm worried could i be infected from my colleague?? he has no symptoms yet but it can take 3 wks to develop. Another collague told me a couple of months ago he suspected his son had it too although tests did not confirm.

i'm scared my i've infected my baby as i have a sore throat (one of the symptoms). My son has a cold at the moment and just had a cough so it could be that...i'm just really scared. It can affect foetuses up to 20 wks.

Has anyone been in this situation? surely i will ok as i'm not in direct contact with the girl...hmmmm

cx

Go to your docs and ask for a blood test. That will tell you if you have the virus and whether or not you have immunity. More than 90% of the population are immune as they've had it as a child. If you do have it or don't have immunity the doc can keep an eye on you and they will scan the baby more.
Xx

I'd get the opinion of your doc hun, you will probs be fine but better safe than sorry x

I'm a teacher and we had a few kids at school get it. I called my doc, they weren't too worried, just told me at my next appt they'd do the blood test. They didn't have me come in early or anything even. There was also a student teacher that was only 12 weeks along and her doc also just had her wait until her next appt and get the blood test. So in both cases, they didn't seem to want to rush us in or anything.

Just do like the others said and call your doc, get the blood test and assume you had it as a child like most of us did :) Stay positive!

Good luck!!

even if u did get it (which u prob havent) , baby will more than lkely be totally fine , they just monitor u a bit extra in case baby needs treatment and they can treat bub in womb, so dont worry. xx
easier said than done i know.
my gran nephew had it, i had contact with my bro, not my gran nephew and was paranoid i may have got it too, they tested me and tests showed i hadnt been infected for last 6 months, they dont test for immunity in ireland. time has passed now and i never got it thank god. so odds are u havent even really been exposed enough to get it . xx

We had a scare at work with my colleagues - I assumed I had had it due to my kids bt having it in the past. However blood tests showed I was nt immune nor did I catch it from my colleagues.

I would check with midwife - they will take blood and check again in two weeks.

even if u did get it (which u prob havent) , baby will more than lkely be totally fine , they just monitor u a bit extra in case baby needs treatment and they can treat bub in womb, so dont worry. xx
easier said than done i know.
my gran nephew had it, i had contact with my bro, not my gran nephew and was paranoid i may have got it too, they tested me and tests showed i hadnt been infected for last 6 months, they dont test for immunity in ireland. time has passed now and i never got it thank god. so odds are u havent even really been exposed enough to get it . xx

I had my immunity checked, for old and new antibodies in Ireland, all my children caught it when I was about 9 weeks, my husband took our son to the doctor and the doctor made an appointment for me straight away to have the blood test, I was told that at such an early stage in my pregnancy if I caught it, I would lose my baby, I was terrified, but luckily my test showed I had antibodies and was immune phew!!!

There is a thread here https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/g...arvo-virus-complications-19.html#post26827935

The thread was started by a girl who caught slapped cheek and all was ok but it has great information for any one worried :hugs:

i asked my doc and my hosp to check my immunity and they said they dont do it.,
must cost too much in recession or something !!!! :)

i asked my doc and my hosp to check my immunity and they said they dont do it.,
must cost too much in recession or something !!!! :)

So they told you no blood test to even check for new antibodies? the problem with that if they find no new antobidies at that test, they need to repeat it 2 weeks later. so doubt it is to do with the recession as you could request and pay yourself and I had mine done and it was covered :)

I had my blood test in end of January or start of Febuary with my local GP
I would not be happy with my doctor if he / she told me that, I am going to the coombe and they were going to get me to come in for a blood test but my GP had it done.

my gp wouldnt do any test at all , she said it was mass hysteria and no need :)
my hosp tested me for infection and it showed i didnt have infection now or hadnt had for 6 months, that was the extent ot my testing. i was after 20 weeks though so i think they were more relaxed cos of that .
my sil was around 8 weeks so she will be retested every 4 weeks to make sure no new infection. we r both in cumh in cork.
some of the nurses i spoke to had never heard of slapped cheek virus or even didnt know it by its real name parvo virus.
so id say it was ignorance really to be honest .
but ive heard of 3 people i know getting it recently enough so it cant be that uncommon

my gp wouldnt do any test at all , she said it was mass hysteria and no need :)
my hosp tested me for infection and it showed i didnt have infection now or hadnt had for 6 months, that was the extent ot my testing. i was after 20 weeks though so i think they were more relaxed cos of that .
my sil was around 8 weeks so she will be retested every 4 weeks to make sure no new infection. we r both in cumh in cork.
some of the nurses i spoke to had never heard of slapped cheek virus or even didnt know it by its real name parvo virus.
so id say it was ignorance really to be honest .
but ive heard of 3 people i know getting it recently enough so it cant be that uncommon

I say your right it must be ignorance I was probably lucky my gp seemed to kow about it the nurse who took my bloods hadn't a clue nor did my mdwife but she passed me on to a docror who did :) I know thankfully the chance is low for catching it or if you do pass it on to your baby but it is a worry any way isn't it. I had never heard of it before till my son had it it does seem to be on the rise though

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->