Slapped Cheek

F

First-wee-P

Hey Ladies,

Just looking for some reassurance and advice.

I work as a Primary School Teacher, and we have had a confirmed case of Slapped Cheek in school. Now, this was suspected last week, and the parents were supposed to confirm with the doctor what the child was suffering from. They didn't until Monday, and I was sent home to go and get a blood test to check if I am immune.

Both my friend, who is a midwife, and my doctor have advised me to stay away until I know for sure that I am immune. I have been told to self-cert until I do go back. Being Christmas week, I feel so quilty not being there with my class. However, if I did ctach it and I amn't immune, I know that it is not worth the risk.

My OH is adamant I won't go back until I am sure that I am immune. But this could be next week before I find out!

What do you guys think? Aynone had experience with this??? :shrug:

Thanks...

Being really silly but wht is slapped cheek?? Even tho I'm not sure what it is and it's implications, I would treat it like any other infectious disease like, chicken pox, measles etc and stay away. I'm sure your class will be fine and over excited about Christmas anyway. Maybe you could do a special day next term where you re-do Christmas? It's so sweet you're thinking of them but it's not worth taking the risk hun x

I had slapped cheek syndrome!! I looked like an idiot and it made me poorly. I wouldn't risk it with pregnancy - especially if your doc says you shouldn't xxxx

'Pregnant women without immunity - parvovirus B19 infection can increase the risk of a miscarriage because the virus can cause severe anaemia in the unborn child. '

This is from the NHS - don't risk it xxxx

Being really silly but wht is slapped cheek?? Even tho I'm not sure what it is and it's implications, I would treat it like any other infectious disease like, chicken pox, measles etc and stay away. I'm sure your class will be fine and over excited about Christmas anyway. Maybe you could do a special day next term where you re-do Christmas? It's so sweet you're thinking of them but it's not worth taking the risk hun x

It's like kid's flu, and it is only harmful to babies up to 20 wks gestation. I am almost 15. It can cause miscarriage, anaemia and heart complications in the unborn baby.

I know that I am being silly, I wouldn't risk that happening to me or the baby, so I guess I should put my feet up and relax until I hear my test results back!

Definitely take advantage, I'm sure you're run off your feet normally teaching primary age, so take it easy and maybe do some xmas shopping?!

Lol, I am doing the ironing! Which has not been touched since my day/evening sickness crept in at week 6. I am finally feeling back to myself, so I am taking advantage and getting the housework done, so that I can have a relaxing Christmas break.

Thanks for the reassurance girls, I sometimes think we just need "back-up" from other pregnant ladies with all these decisions we have to make! :thumbup:

i wouldnt risk it have a good xmas hun xxxx

Please stay away until you get your results. Slapped cheek can cause serious problems to your unborn baby. Everyone will understand.

x

I don't want to scare you (you have no doubt done the research) but one of my BF was pregnant at the same time as me with DS#1 - she ended up losing the baby in the January (she was due in April). They were at a total loss as to why the baby died in utero - she just didn't feel movement one day so went to her OB. About 2 years later she went to see a doctor in NYC and he did some tests and he pretty much confirmed that it was from her contracting slapped cheek (it's apparently dangerous to contract it in your first trimester).
She has since had 2 healthy babies!
I worry about it - only because I know what she went through - plus I have a nearly 4 year old (plus a nearly 2 year old), so I could pick it up I guess.
I would follow their advice.
If you had contracted it or anything - I believe they can monitor you more closely and there are things that can be done I think.
Really I don't mean to scare you - BUT you need to know this!
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

I have a page here that is from a woman on facebook who's daughter had this.

If you don't want to worry - please do not read.

https://www.facebook.com/#/topic.php?uid=190625441961&topic=11297

I hope this is of some use to you. Please stay away from school xx

So shouldnt have read this thread!!! My daughter has had slapped cheek this week and i have had to go for tests for my immunity. Worried sick!

When my niece got slapped cheek earlier this year my sister (her mum) was preggers. The hospital said to mummy stay away from her for a few days whilst preggers, so little niece had to come and stay with me for a week. I wouldnt risk it, its also called Fifths disease...the 5th most common kiddie illness, and along the lines of measles, chicken pox etc. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->