Sleep Sense Support Group!

thanks - we've got another weigh in tomorrow so will discusss with HV

Polaris - you poor thing - how long did you suffer with it and did it get better once you stopped dairy (did you stop the dairy?)

That a good idea about the wind down - dd had a 1.5 hour nap in the afternoon and i just swayed her for like one minute before putting her down - she didn't fuss much but she was quite tired

let us know how it goes HG

Oh nooooooooooooooo! Ive really messed it up :-(

I let chloe have a play until she started looking tired. I did her bedtime routine then fed her. But when i tried to wind her.......nothing!! I know she has wind cos i can hear it but i was winding her for 25 mins and cant get it out. She was falling asleep the whole time even when i bounced her on my knee. Nothing would keep her awake!! I gave up and i put her in her cot, she is fast asleep.

So ive failed :-( I put her down asleep AND she has wind!

Oh nooooooooooooooo! Ive really messed it up :-(

I let chloe have a play until she started looking tired. I did her bedtime routine then fed her. But when i tried to wind her.......nothing!! I know she has wind cos i can hear it but i was winding her for 25 mins and cant get it out. She was falling asleep the whole time even when i bounced her on my knee. Nothing would keep her awake!! I gave up and i put her in her cot, she is fast asleep.

So ive failed :-( I put her down asleep AND she has wind!

Don't be silly, of course you haven't failed. :hugs: There will be plenty more opportunities for her to work on self-settling. What were you supposed to do?

Wind is just such a nuisance (putting it very mildly). That is normally what can mess up our bedtimes too - he doesn't fall asleep when I'm winding him but he just gets more and more overtired and then has trouble settling. I also find that it is more difficult to wind him when he is already a bit overtired.

I hope the wind doesn't disturb her sleep too much - I have found since Thomas got a bit older that he doesn't always wake up screaming with it anymore, even when I'm sure that I haven't managed to get it all up - I don't know how he manages to sort it out for himself, maybe farts it out in his sleep or something?

thanks - we've got another weigh in tomorrow so will discusss with HV

Polaris - you poor thing - how long did you suffer with it and did it get better once you stopped dairy (did you stop the dairy?)

That a good idea about the wind down - dd had a 1.5 hour nap in the afternoon and i just swayed her for like one minute before putting her down - she didn't fuss much but she was quite tired

let us know how it goes HG

I had the eczema for my whole childhood really, it got a lot better when I was about 15 or 16, but I still do have relapses from time to time. Although the last bad relapse was ten years ago now when I was doing my college finals so hopefully it's pretty much gone for good at this stage. My mum never took me off dairy - it never occurred to her (!). When I had the bad relapse in my 20s I did give up dairy for a few months and it cleared it up - I can eat dairy again now though.

Yay for the one and a half hour nap!

We had pretty much the perfect day for napping today - almost an hour and a half in the morning, two hours at lunchtime after swimming (first 15 minutes in carseat but moved him to cot when we got home) and 45 minutes in the afternoon. Why can't every day work out like that?

Cat, course you haven't failed :hugs:

Like P says, wind can be a right pain in the posterior (no pun intended!!) Some nights it can take us ages to get it out. We're trying to wean DD off Infacol - but when we went 'cold-turkey', we noticed she was still straining with wind. So now use it for every other feed. Hopefully we can stop soon.

There are some nights where circumstances just take over - we've had a few nights where DD has fallen asleep when I've been BFing, burped asleep - and then I've put her down asleep. Don't worry - these things happen :hugs:

It's all one step at a time stuff, and I don't think we should worry about it at all...

Now, get yourself a cuppa and feet up!

Flowers - great news on the nap!!

Everyone else ok? DH has a client meal tonight, and I thought DD would be v. agitated that routine was without him...but she was ok. Kept looking to the door around the time he comes home usually (SO cute), and kept looking around as if to say 'er, where is he!?'...she also had a little bit of a moan, but then thumb in! :)

P - great naps!!! That's seriously major step in the nap direction!

Thanks hunny x

Do you think if when she wakes i should try and give her a wind before putting her back into the cot to self settle?

Honestly my brain is in melt down at the moment! I feel like i have lost all ability to think like an adult!
Also i had a horrible moment thisafternoon and i cant get it out of my head. Earlier on i took Chloe to the park, on the way back i stopped off at the library and queued up to use the computor where you can book sesions on the internet. There was a ladie in front of me, she turned round and said "oh, nice desighner pram youve got" She said it in quite an odd way so i just said "thank you, my daughter loves it" (its just a bugaboo by the way, nothing out of the ordinary!). Then she said "bet it costs a lot" so i said yeah it did and that i had saved ip for months. Anyway, she got to the front of the queue, went on the computor but there were no sesions free for today so she logged off, then turned to me and said "you killed my baby. you didnt want me to get on and now i havent you killed my baby"! I was stunned, i just stood there. She just kept repeating that i had killed her baby. Then turned and walked out.
I think maybe she must have lost a child. She didnt seem drunk or on drugs or anything. How awfull, im still quite shaken and cant stop thinking about the poor lady :-(

Anyway........naps! What you girls are saying about winding down sounds so right! I guess just like night time we cant expect them to just go to sleep straight from play time.
Chloe is also not really into cuddles (which make me sad!). Maybe a bit of soft music and gentle dancing or a story. I think once i start on naps i will def have to think about this.

Well went to see the baby in hospital this evening and she is so tiny at 5lbs! not like my porker! Anyway daddy did bedtime and says it was great:thumbup: But when pushed and questioned on did she go down asleep.... he flustered and claimed she was still awake but I'm guessing it was very very sleepy indeed :sleep: never mind. She had a cough when I came in and sorted herself out so hopefuly ok!

Don't worry if they've gone done asleep as Polaris says what you going to do? Wake her up? to make her go back? nope. Just if she wakes stick to sleep sense.

Polaris - thanks for the tips on massage. My sister said loads of videos on youtube so might look there too.

TG - the advice on weaning was ok but as I said we were doing BLW she didn't say much except what to avoid. Did get a book bag full of books, a toothbrush and paste, a sippy cup which I was excited about :haha:

Tomorrow is swiming in the morning so afternoon nap should I be niece and nephew free is operation chill before nap. I think a cuddle, a sway to classic fm and reciting the kings and queens of england in order should be enough to relax her right off!

p.s. at the petrol station i tracked down the elusive Ripple chocolate bar which has been missing on the south coast for several days. Yummy.

thats great napping Polaris - yay

don't worry Cat - theres always tomorrow to try again - dd always tries to fall asleep on me - she fights with me, put me back on the boob mummy now lol

TG - Thats so cute lo looking for daddy - i must get hubby to do the routine too - i only get him to do it when im busy

hubby just cracked me up - he's having a moan at me bcuz i always need something sweet after dinner - he just said he's going to use his own sleepsense guide to wean me off sweet stuff - by day 10 he'll lock it all away hehe

Cat, what a horrid experience. Poor woman - and poor you. Hope you are ok...

If she seems windy, I'd probably try a quick winding session - I'm a bit a wind worrier. Not sure what other ladies think?

HG, 'Willy, Willy, Harry, Ste...' ;) I may start telling DD about my favourite people in history, actually, that will no doubt get a few yawns!

Enjoy the ripple - it's a chocolate bar amongst chocolate bars. I had a very disappointing half a double decker as my choc treat today. Half, I ask you!

I'm going to try chill before naps tomorrow, so we can all compare notes!

Flowers - as soon as Daddy walks in, DD is like 'brilliant, the really fun one is here'. lol!

Too many posts to catch up on - mwahhhh! Not sure where to start but will start with :hi: and I hope you and your LOs are well!

Kyle has got a tummy bug (the runs, sob) and a gummy eye or conjunctivites (they aren't sure) so have to feed him more often to make sure he doesn't get de-hydrated and put some breast milk in his eye to help clear it. Poor toot. They delayed his jabs by a week today because of these, OH had come along too especially to hold my (and Kyle's hand!)

His past 2 nights he has woken for a feed about midnight and then again about 5am. This morning though he got himself back to sleep in about 20 mins till 8am which I was soooo relieved about (as was OH!). Weseem to have been experiencing this 12 week growth spurt as he has also been feeding for about 45 mins each time!!!

Naps, well ..... we have been diligent about putting him down in his cot awake for these, the crying time has lessened somewhat to about 10 mins or less until he falls asleep but it is only rarely that he will go though more than one sleep cycle without waking up crying! Any tips for this?? He rarely naps longer than 30 mins or so in his cot (he did do one mega nap of 1hr 30 mins once but not since!). He is also still in our room ... maybe this weekend?! Depends how much of the junk we can get cleared out of his room!

One Born Every Minute is on now so better dash!

PS - Tesco are selling a 4 pack of ripples for £1 - STOCK UP!

XX

TG - Have a merit for knowing your stuff! (can you tell I'm a history teacher? lol)

Cat - sorry just re read your post and what an awful thing to happen in the library. I'm one to dwell on that sort of stuff, poor lady must have been unwell. Try not to think on it and give baby an extra cuddle to feel better!

I tend not to worry about wind - Phoebe is a very reluctant burper and HV friend said sur le continent they don't even bother to wind babies at all so if after 5 mins no burp I give up! maybe that is why she wakes and I'm a bad mother..... but no trapped wind signels so hopefully ok.

PM- I've the opposite worry end of next week we have to share a room with our LO on holiday - eeek! how will we not wake her up? Hope LO gets better soon, mine is a short napper so can't offer much advice really! keep at it...

Thanks for the ripple tip off..... thats good value!

Get well soon, Kyle :hugs: Bless him - sounds like he is growth spurting too. AND he is settling...what a star!

Am a bit lost with the naps, too, so probably no advice would be good advice! We seem to be doing 30 min stints, too.

ps-excellent Ripple update, I'll be sprinting there tomorrow...

HG - I did wonder if you were a history teacher! Brilliant! I loooove history, but purely an armchair historian...Must be fab. I'm an architect -alas, not as interesting!

Am watching 'One Born...' at 10pm. Am yet to make it through an episode without crying!

Must admit I think being an architect pretty cool! Love design. Yes history teaching is brilliant and within reason I can teach my pet subjects which is great. And i'm paid to be mean to teenagers - what could be better!

Not one born every minute for me but a recored episode of band for britain (i play in a brass band lol!)
Right but off to bed before madam begins night time antics!

Isn't it busy in here tonight?

Am really looking forward to Operation Chill Before Nap tomorrow - it will be good to all compare notes on how we get on!

CatStorey - I am a bit of a wind worrier too like TennisGal - I think it's because Thomas suffered so badly for the first few months of his life - I would be inclined to try a quick wind if she wakes up in the next hour or so - I find that if Thomas is going to wake with wind he normally wakes within a sleep cycle or two - so if he sleeps longer than that I know it is usually something else waking him. What an awful experience in the library earlier, that poor woman must have been quite unwell I think, hard not to dwell on something like that though. :hugs:

PM - hope your LO is feeling better soon. Good work on the naps - I think most of us are still trying to find solutions to the short nap problem - but at least we can all learn from each other's experiences.

HG - where are you off to on your holidays? LOL at reciting the kings and queens of England before each nap!!

TG - my LO is exactly the same with my OH - he always gets loads more laughs out of him than I do!

HG - yes - actually it's quite a fun job, although for someone who is supposed to be a neat freak with work, quite the opposite at home! lol.

What are your pet subjects?

P - really busy in here! I swear it's a Daddy thing, I was the same when my Dad came home from work, kind of like 'yes, we've seen Mummy allll day', and DD is the same...she starts jigging when he walks in!

Looking forward to seeing if Operation Chill works - may put a note on the door stating that if classical music is playing or tuneless singing to anything, do NOT knock!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->