Sleep Sense Support Group!

Hey hun! Thomas went through stages of being awake during the night and I did basically just leave him to it unless he became distressed as opposed to just moaning and whinging and chatting to himself. I would agree with setting limits around feeding, one night feed should probably be enough. I do remember a difficult stage when Thomas started rolling in the cot as he would roll onto his tummy and wouldn't seem to know how to get back, but I think it passed quite quickly and he went through a phase of sleeping on his tummy after that. Thomas never really wanted me in the room when he was going to sleep but I would check on him if his crying changed or he sounded like he was becoming distressed (rather than just his going to sleep cry or moaning a bit).

:hugs: It must be hard when you're worried about your older little one waking up - but hopefully it's just a phase and will pass quickly. Is Helen actually waking up? I know it's hard in the middle of the night but I think you probably just have to stick it out and trust that it will pass with time.

Thanks for the replies it's nice not to feel alone! Foogirl I agree one night feed is fine and the first few nights of SS she only had one. I think tonight I will feed her if it's after midnight and then just leave her to sort herself out. Eventually last night she fell asleep after crying off and on for ages. Nothing I did seemed to make much difference though. It's just so hard in the middle of the night especially when I'm worried she's disturbing Helen. I also find it so weird that the middle of the night waking is the sticky point. With Helen nightimes were easier, it was naps which took weeks to sort!
Oh I hate the "nothing we can do" thing. Even now at 3 years old, if Abby has decided she is going to cry about something, there is nothing we can do to stop it.m You feel so helpless. It has taken me a long time to reconcile myself to, "the best thing to do, is to do nothing" I realised it one day when she said " I just want to cry.

:hi:
Anybody still here? I need some help with my youngest.
Hes turned into a 30/40 min cat napper and fights his sleep quite a bit. Im tearing my hair out!
He is breastfed and has a dummy. His morning sleep is brilliant, can go 2 hours but its the lunchtime and afternoon one were having problems with.

awww bless you hun...Im still here but no advice for you! I hope you can get some help that will work quickly!! :flower:

:hi:
Anybody still here? I need some help with my youngest.
Hes turned into a 30/40 min cat napper and fights his sleep quite a bit. Im tearing my hair out!
He is breastfed and has a dummy. His morning sleep is brilliant, can go 2 hours but its the lunchtime and afternoon one were having problems with.

Hi there. I went through this with Thomas at that age and it was a nightmare. I tried lots of things to try to lengthen his naps but nothing really worked. Things I tried included - longer awake time, shorter awake time, going in to try to soothe him back to sleep as soon as he stirred (never worked), leaving him alone for five to ten minutes to see if he would go back to sleep (very occasionally worked), wake-to-sleep (going in five or ten minutes before he's due to wake up and partially waking him - supposed to jog him into the next sleep cycle - worked a couple of times but often backfired in that he would just completely wake up).

According to "Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child" the morning nap is the first one to develop and the other naps take longer to become consolidated. So it could just be developmental. I think this was the case for Thomas, I tried everything for about two months and then he turned six months and the issue just resolved itself and he started napping properly for nice long naps in a regular routine by the clock. Hopefully you will find something that works for you though because it was a long couple of months when he was doing the short napping. But at least it is something that he will more than likely grow out of in time.

Wonder if it is just developmental then if his morning nap is okay. I wondered if the dummy might have been the problem but i guess not when its not affecting all naps. I think we will wean off at some point in next few months anyways.

Any ladies still following this post? I have a 6 month old who takes 3 naps during the day, from 1 hour to 45 min each, and goes down for bed at 7, but WAKES 6-7 times at night. I am exhausted, and I think the she could certainly benefit from some help too!! She falls alseep at the breast, or in my arems after a feed.
I don't want to let her cry it out, but really need help with self soothing. She doesn't take a soother...

Any ladies still following this post? I have a 6 month old who takes 3 naps during the day, from 1 hour to 45 min each, and goes down for bed at 7, but WAKES 6-7 times at night. I am exhausted, and I think the she could certainly benefit from some help too!! She falls alseep at the breast, or in my arems after a feed.
I don't want to let her cry it out, but really need help with self soothing. She doesn't take a soother...

There is a really active and supportive thread in Baby Club where you might get more advice and more people reading - https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/baby-club/1398681-rant-feeling-so-hopeless-sleep.html

Hi there, is anyone still here? I need some support on daytime naps!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->