Sleeping arrangements for baby

N

Neecee

I was just wondering, is there anyone here with limited space who is finding it hard to figure out where they're going to put their baby?

My hubby and I have a 1 bed flat and moving into a 2-bed isn't really an option as when I stop working, the mortgage will be coming out of his salary alone. So we were looking at our bedroom the other day and then we looked at each other and thought "where on earth are we going to put this child?"

We have fitted wardrobes along one wall, so we were thinking of changing the doors to sliding doors to save space, but apart from that, I'm not sure what we're going to do about the cot etc...

How long can a baby sleep in a moses basket for? My SIL is giving us a cot, but I was wondering if they come in different sizes/depths as their won't be a lot of space between the end of our bed and the cot.

Does anyone know of any space-saving baby equiptment that would be good? I've looked on mothercare's website and a few others, but everything seems so big! There must be some space-saving/fold-away equiptment out there somewhere!!! Can ANYONE give me any ideas or point me in the right direction???

Hiya :wave: We are in a 2 bed flat and have a daughter already so we too had this problem about where to put LO when she arrives.
My 1st daughter came out of her moses basket at about 3 months, so we decided to buy a crib this time and that should hopefully last about 6 months, I looked for smaller cots too and they are out there! But hopefully the housing market will have changed by then and we can sell up and get somewhere bigger but like you this isn't an option for us at the moment.
I am not so worried about space when she is little but it's when she starts to get toys etc that's when you really start to need space! xxx

Yeah, I'm thinking that it'll be less of a problem while LO is tiny, but I know how much STUFF babies can accumulate over time!!! I really need to find a lot of dual purpose items, i.e. cot with storage underneath, changing boards that fit over the cot etc...

I know I'm going to have to do a huge chuck-out of all our "junk" that we've collected over the years!!!

I think a baby can stay in a moses basket for 6 months. This is what I am doing anyway. And it's going to be hard for me too for space, as I still live with my parents, and share a room with 2 sisters. So, Me and baby will be all crammed until I get my own place. Which I hope will be before or just after she's born. I dont know what you can do about making space thing, sorry x Just hope you manage :D

I know that my LO is going to be a bit of a big baby and very long (i'm 5'8" & hubby is 6'4") so i knew that a moses basket would probably only last maybe 3months max!

I did find this on the net https://www.preciouslittleone.com/c...SAPCRIBKATIE.html#aSAPCRIBKATIE#aSAPCRIBKATIE and have it set up already i think it that much bigger than a moses that LO will probably be able to stay in it for at least 6mnths.

Maybe you could consider this rather than a full blown cot if you are lacking on space?
Cots do come in different sizes, especially if it is a cot bed they are pretty huge!

I'm sure you will work something out there are lots of options out there. Good Luck :D

x

I have exactly the same problem. We live in a one bed flat too, and the bedroom is not that big at all. We've got two moses baskets - one for living room and one for bedroom so we don't have to move it about that much but I am totally at a loss to where the cot will go. Completely at a loss lol. Only place I can think is at the bottom of the bed, which will be useless because that'll mean jumpin outta bed everytime the baby wants anything.. Pah I have six months to think about this yet.. :confused:

hey we are quite tight on space to but what we have done is swapped our living room over with our bedroom making the bedroom alot bigger....and have got a cot suitable from birth which can later be turned into bed...well hopefully be in a 2 bed by then...
also have storage containers etc like plastic unit with like 4 draws will come in handy for nappies clothes etc xxx

Just take them in your bed - no cots needed. ;-)

i live in a 1 bedroom bungalow, council and at the moment its cramped enough with me, DH and brendan, and council have refused to move me until baby is born lol! i will be sleeping on the sofa with baby next to me in moses basket, thats if i cant find an exchange of course

we live in a 2 bed apt and i think baby will be in moses basket then in nursery once grown out of moses basket. anyone who lives in an apt have any worries about the noise eg baby crying? we live on the ground floor and can sometimes hear the ppl above's tv. so god knows how loud the baby crying will sound!

I'm doing that even if my bedroom is huge when I get one! You could look at getting a snuggle nest thing if the reason your not doing it is because you're too worried about it x

We have a space problem aswell and really need to build an extension but i want to wait till baby is older.

We live in a 2 bed bungalow, both bedrooms are small and my sons room is full of his things!!

We hsve decided to get a crib, that will hopefully last till LO is about 5-6 months.

We used a moses basket with my son but he only stayed in it for a few weeks as he was a wriggler and the moses basket moved everytime he did and i was worried about him.

I plan to clear one of our wardrobes out to put babys stuff in and won't put the cot up until i have to.

With my son we had a changing table. This time i'm not going to bother putting it up as we hardly ever used it. Will just use a changing mat on the floor.

We also had a baby bath and stand which we hardly used as i used to take my son in the bath with me and then OH would take him and dry him off. However i will have to use one this time as we only have a shower room.

You can also get baby swings that fold.

Also cots come in all different sizes. Cot beds last longer but do tend to be huge, so i would definatly get the dimensions for the cot you are being given.

can you rearrange your bed at a different angle to free up space? For example, our moses basket would have to go at the end of the bed, but i would rather have it next to me, which is impossible as the gap down each side of the bed is tiny, so I was gonna push the bed to the wall on hubbies side to free up more space my side for the moses basket. we will just have to get into bed from the bottom lol!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

we live in a 2 bed apt and i think baby will be in moses basket then in nursery once grown out of moses basket. anyone who lives in an apt have any worries about the noise eg baby crying? we live on the ground floor and can sometimes hear the ppl above's tv. so god knows how loud the baby crying will sound!

We have someone living below us and we can hear when they cough or sneeze!!!! Goodness knows how much noise a crying baby is gonna make!

I wouldn't dare - I sleep REALLY badly!!!!!

Hun, your sleeping habits change when you have a baby, particularly if they are in bed with you. If you're breastfeeding you actually miss out the fourth (deepest) stage of sleep so you don't roll on them unless you are under the influence of something. Also, you can sleep and feed at the same time, which is a god send in the early days lol

Thanks for that marley - it's great to hear reassurance about co-sleeping. I do have doubts about it sometimes but really, really feel it's going to be best for my LO.

Neecee, I've ordered a book about co-sleeping to read - hopefully it'll have all the safety guidelines that are important to follow. Maybe you could look into it? I'm sure if your LO can feed on demand they'll cry less as they don't need to cry to get food? (I'm hoping!!!! :rofl:) x

i have this problem too, we are in a small one bedroom flat and since we have been given a cot we dont have the choice of how big it is or whatever and it looks pretty huge to me haha

i have moved the bed over more to the wall, there is still a gap either side just not too much of a gap haha and ive put the cot next to the bed on my side

i am dreading getting more stuff, atm i just have everything bagged up inside the cot!! wont be able to do that for much longer, there is no space left in the room for extra drawers / wardrobes etc so i think i will also get some storage boxes (underbed types) to have under the cot

i have got a bath / changing table / baby box thing aswell...its an all in one so im really happy about that cos it will save loads of space

but yeh, having a small flat is crappy hehe

x

I wouldn't dare - I sleep REALLY badly!!!!!

Hun, your sleeping habits change when you have a baby, particularly if they are in bed with you. If you're breastfeeding you actually miss out the fourth (deepest) stage of sleep so you don't roll on them unless you are under the influence of something. Also, you can sleep and feed at the same time, which is a god send in the early days lol

Hmm... I'm just not sure how hubby would feel about having the baby in the bed. We have just a regular size double bed and it just seems like there wouldn't be enough room! I like the idea of the snuggle nest thing, but I don't think there's enough room for that either.

Also, if you have the baby in the bed with you, how easy is it to get them to sleep in their own cot after that?

i have this problem too, we are in a small one bedroom flat and since we have been given a cot we dont have the choice of how big it is or whatever and it looks pretty huge to me haha

Yeah, we're being given a cot too, so we've no control over the size either - just grateful that's one less thing to buy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->