Sleeping on your back

stellababy

Reaction score
For how long is it safe to sleep on your back? I have stopped sleeping on my stomach weeks ago as it is very uncomfortable, do it's just side and back left!

My last pregnancy it didn't bother me at all to lay on my back so I did it for as long as it was comfortable, this time I find I get short of breath very quickly if I'm on my back so I stopped sleeping that way a few weeks ago. My midwife says to just listen to your body and do whatever is comfortable. I still sleep on my stomach with one leg up on a pillow.

My practitioners say not to lay flat on your back once you're past 15 weeks as a guideline. I have been enjoying laying on my right side this pregnancy, so I always find myself that way - same with one of my other pregnancies.. but with the majority of them, I would wake up on my back. I'd end up putting a bunch of pillows behind my back and just laying back on them so I'm kind of on my side but feel like I'm on my back, without the pressure. For safety's sake, I stay off my back when possible, but I've woken up on my back at least a hundred times during pregnancies. :)

My midwife said it's fine as long as your comfortable. With DD by this time I could only sleep on my left as my right would make me sick and my back would make me dizzy and winded. This time around I'm comfortable on my back and right side but the left makes me sick. :wacko:

I try not to lay totally flat though because I do feel some pressure so I'll put a pillow behind my back to lean on so I'm not totally on my side or back - kind of in between.

I wake up on my back all the time. I'm most comfortable on my right and pretty much never sleep on my left as recommended 🙈 Asked my midwife and she said there's been research done to show you automatically adjust your position if needed and so basically not to worry about it and just do what is comfortable. At 15 weeks I definitely wouldn't worry.

I find laying in 3/4 position facing the left most comfortable for me but when not pregnant I'm a stomach or back sleeper so I miss both those positions terribly.

For those who don't know what position I'm talking about it's half stomach half side with left leg straight and right leg at a right angle with left arm under your pillow but stretched straight above you. It's hard to explain but hopefully you get what I mean.

I have been more comfy on my back with my V shaped pillow propping me up so I'm not completely flat. I was told to listen to my body.

I'm a side sleeper but usually wake up in the night on my back! I'm not really worrying about it, I can't help what I do in my sleep! I'm guessing I wake up because my body wants me to move? I also sleep on both sides, is it really that bad to sleep on your right hand side? Again, its mostly as I get horrible back ache if I try to just sleep on side all night! So I roll over and tend to drop off on the other side!

Essentially if it's causing problems, you'll know. If you feel winded or uncomfortable or your heart is racing, you should stop lying on your back. If you wake up on your back, no problem, you would readjust in your sleep or you would wake up if your vitals started changing. Until then, be on your back as much as you like.

I agree with the pp that you'll know it's causing problems as you'll feel lightheaded, although I'm not sure it would still be the case if you're fast asleep, the best thing is to prop yourself up with an extra cushion so you're not completely flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->