sleeping on your sides

lw0619

Reaction score
how important do you ladies think/know this is? i am having the WORST night's sleep trying to sleep on my sides instead of my back. ive read why you shouldnt sleep on your back, but i just wondered if anybody had any opinions as to the accuracy of this? thanks :flower:

I'm not a back sleeper, I'm actually a tummy sleeper when I'm not pregnant, but when pregnant with DD I asked my midwife about back sleeping out of curiosity. She told me that your side is recommended, but sleep is important and if you can only manage to sleep on your back then do so. I'm pretty sure if you're badly cutting off blood flow that your body will wake you up and you'll automatically move. Someone else might have a more medically sound answer though :flower:

Ive heard what was said above.. But I too struggle sleeping on my side. I am a back and a tummy sleeper.. And it sucks!

I've always slept on my side, but recently I have struggled with it, my arm goes dead and my shoulder aches. I'm not sure why, I'm still quite compact and not much heavier than I was pre-pregnancy

I apparently only like to sleep on my back when i am pregnant lol. I did with my son and have done with this pregnancy. Admittedly it is becoming more and more uncomfortable depending on where abouts little lady is laying. But i often wake up finding myself on my back. Have you tried some pillows or a maternity pillow to help you sleep on your side? That's my saving grace at the moment for keeping me on my sides when my SPD is particularly playing up.

There's another thread on this too-- some positions can be more uncomfortable with a growing belly but however you find comfortable is perfectly fine. Generally when you get really big the side is most comfortable but there's no reason not to sleep another way if its comfortable for you.

I usually sleep on my side... although before getting preggers, I slept on my tummy a bit too.

Now that I'm getting bigger, I find side-sleeping SO uncomfortable. I wake up and my hips are sore... and my knees feel cramped. That is, if I actually get a good night's sleep... Peanut likes to dance at night, so I find myself awakening at odd hours... UGH.

I posted about this in the other thread, it's in interesting read even if you don't take note of it... https://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/06June/Pages/mothers-sleeping-position-and-risk-of-stillbirth.aspx

I bought a C-shaped pillow a few weeks ago to encourage me to sleep on my side... it definitely makes it more comfortable, but I do find myself waking up in the mornings often tilted/slanted and on my back. I think it's just hard to get used to! I went to my masseuse last Thursday (she's trained in prenatal massage) specifically because of the strange knots I was getting in the middle of my back and shoulder areas due to side sleeping - she thinks the new pillow will help smooth things out. She also popped out a whole bunch of newly-formed knots. I'm going to go back and see her again in a few weeks, I need to be able to sleep and get around without pain.

I have a U shaped maternity pillow and have to switch from left to right all through the night. If it is not my hips going numb, its my shoulders...I do find when I am in my third trimester I spend most nights in the recliner...

I wish I could sleep on my back. Any time I do I feel icky. :nope: I sleep on my sides, but I end up feeling achy in the morning!

I've always slept on my side, but recently I have struggled with it, my arm goes dead and my shoulder aches. I'm not sure why, I'm still quite compact and not much heavier than I was pre-pregnancy

thats my problem! my arm goes to sleep and my legs will even hurt sometimes. its been a little better with one of those pregnancy pillows, but im still pretty uncomfortable

thanks ladies... everything youre saying is how i feel. i wake up all night long, switch side to side, feel achey in my legs and arms. ugh. im usually a tummy sleeper, but that got uncomfortable weeks ago. i started sleeping on my back and gt pretty comfortable with it. then i read about sleeping on the sides, and its been the worst weeks sleep yet. im gonna talk to my doctor too, but my appt isnt until the 22nd. i do have one of the pregnancy pillows and helps a little bit, but not enough. thanks for all the replies ladies. glad im not the only one who struggles with this!

I usually sleep on my tummy until about 20 weeks, then I use a pillow to do a 3/4 tummy sleeping position until about 30+ weeks. I would just sleep how it's comfortable and listen to your body - if something feels off then move. We do this automatically in our sleep. I find a pregnancy pillow so great for supporting the bump in different sleeping positions too - I totally recommend them! xo

I posted about this in the other thread, it's in interesting read even if you don't take note of it... https://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/06June/Pages/mothers-sleeping-position-and-risk-of-stillbirth.aspx

This was a very small study which makes interpreting the results difficult. Even so the risks remained quite low. It's interesting but I wouldn't drastically change your habits because of it.

Sleeping is annoying. I'm to fat to sleep on my sides, because my arms fall asleep and it hurts my hips

I don't know if you can find one that's affordable, but you might want to consider going to a masseuse who does prenatal massage--it's really helping me. I also think my shoulders are too wide to sleep on my sides. In addition to the pregnancy pillow I have to put another pillow under the top part of it to prop my head up more so I don't get too sore in the neck.

I find a solution (that works well for me) to sleeping on my back!!!!
I spoon a body pillow on my left side, my husband tucks a regular pillow behind me so that when I turn to lie on my back I am laying sort of on my back but on the pillow so there is no chance of cutting off any circulation - its as comfortable as I can get!

I find a solution (that works well for me) to sleeping on my back!!!!
I spoon a body pillow on my left side, my husband tucks a regular pillow behind me so that when I turn to lie on my back I am laying sort of on my back but on the pillow so there is no chance of cutting off any circulation - its as comfortable as I can get!

i might have to try this!

Every time I sleep on my back I get some kind of pain in my lower abdomen... so I try as much as I can to avoid that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->