Sleeping position

Babydearest

Reaction score
I've been sleeping on my back my whole life and find it's the only position that gets me to sleep fast. I've read up that you're supposed to lie on your side for better circulation for the baby while pregnant. I've been trying to do this, but find it's so difficult to fall asleep and pretty soon after I end up on my back again in the morning of if I wake up in the middle of the night. My bump isn't that big yet and I can still sleep on my back. However, by sleeping on my back, am I harming the baby by cutting off blood flow? Some books say you should sleep sideways since thr 4th month and I'm already approaching 5th in a few days.

I have always laid on my side when I sleep, so I am really comfy being on my side, plus I bought the belly body pillow (AAAAAMAZING). But when I lay on my back, on the couch or what not, I cant breathe at all. I feel like she is crushing my lungs :/ You can try a body pillow to get you more comfy, but ask your doctor hon.

I could lie on my back for the first few months but I find if I do it now I can't breathe as well and I start to feel nauseous. I'd try the best you can to lie on your side, but I think soon enough you'll want to anyway because lying on your back will become SO uncomfortable! xxx

I'm similar to you and there have been quite a few posts about this over the past few months.

I tend to fall asleep on my side and wake up on my back - sometimes I deliberately lie on my back so I can fall asleep better.

Other people have said that their mw told them once it's too uncomfortable we will automatically avoid lying on our backs - hasn't happened to me yet.

Pillows can help stop you moving around when you're asleep.

I worry about cutting off her oxygen or something too! But when I lie on my back I feel her kicking more, usually - hope it isn't in desperation!

I don't even bother trying anymore to fall asleep on my side. I was told that your body will automatically roll on your side when it needs to. I've been going to sleep on my back and waking up on my side lately so there must be some truth to this! I am the same as you though. I can't fall asleep on my side. It just doesn't work! I'm sure when I'm bigger, I won't have a choice but I am living it up while I still can! :muaha:

I have the opposite problem because I used to sleep on my front but although I'm only 16 weeks I have baby bump already so I try to sleep on my side but I find it so not comfortable. I don't know how people can sleep like that!

I have the opposite problem because I used to sleep on my front but although I'm only 16 weeks I have baby bump already so I try to sleep on my side but I find it so not comfortable. I don't know how people can sleep like that!

I completely agree!! When I sleep on my side, I wake up with a sore shoulder! :dohh:

i used to sleep on my front or back lol for as long as i can remember,
well after about 13weeks i just cant physically lie on my front if i do it now LO kicks me as if to say 'stop squashing me', i then ended up sleeping on back but ive sort of naturally progressed to side sleeping, i have pillows on either side of me like a nest lol,
it will just gradually become uncomfortable sleeping on your back, so you wont notice its weird to sleep on your side after trying your back haha, xx

I have always alternated between my sides and my back naturally but found from quite early on that I got pins and needles in my arms when lying on my back so have been sleeping only on my sides, I always wake up really achy though it is so annoying and sometimes I just long to lie flat on my back!! I think this is relatively new advice to pg mums though cos I certainly can't remember it being said when I was having my DD!!

I either lay on my back or my front. I try and lay on my side but usually wake up laid on my front. Me bed had a dip in it from my bump pushing down on it. It took me up until last week to realize that's what was causing it. I was worried i might be squashing my baby but my midwife told me its fine as long as it's not uncomfortable.

sleep how every you find most comfy! i have tried to force myself to sleep on my side but my hips really hurt, even when i use my Dream Genii pillow, i have found that lying on my back is sometimes the only way to get comfy, other times it is uncomfy. i was a tummy sleeper before so found it difficult to change position. my mw says to sleep in which ever is the best way for you! xx

The basic problem is the weight of your uterus, which can decrease blood and air flow - hence why some people feel nauseous etc...
My midwife said that if you can't help but sleep on your back, even after it's a bit uncmfortable, just stick a pillow under one hip - that will take the pressure off enough so that you're safe and hopefully you'll still be quite comfy.
Good luck!

My mw always told me that the risk of sleeping on your back is to you and not the baby.

There is a chance that the vein can be pushed on, causing loss of bloodflow which would make *you* feel dizzy and could cause you to pass out... She did however say that most people would wake up or move positions by this stage.

If you're really that worried hun, you could try what I do (but I'm the opposite, *have* to sleep on my front) - get a pillow and put it to one side of, so that you're slightly on your side but still feel as tho you're lying flat because your weight is supported by the pillow xx

Thanks for the advice! I think I'm going to try putting one pillow under one hip while lying on my back. And when I get bigger than this, I'll just have to learn sideways sleeping. I notice the baby kicks often when I'm lying on my back...it's probably his way of telling me to shove to the side :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->