Sleeping through - how do you know when to cut out last evening feed?

Meels-Spot

Reaction score
My LO is now 11 weeks and has been sleeping through since he was about 6 weeks - ie he has a late evening feed usually sometime between 9.30pm and 11pm, then sleeps through until 6am - 7.30am the next morning. Tonight however he had a feed at about 6pm which he had half of, played for a bit then had the other half about 7ish, dropped off to sleep by 8pm and hasn't woken up all evening! He is normally awake all evening until his late feed. I feel like I should wake him up so he at least has a bit of a top up feed before we go to bed, but now it's got so late I think we're going to have to leave him and see what happens......

What I wanted to know is, how do you know when they are ready to cut out that late evening feed and start going to bed earlier in the evening, but so that they will still sleep through until the morning???

I just feel like I'm gonna get woken up about 3am ish tonight!

My Caitlins always had a last bottle or beaker of milk before bed. I always have stuck to that and if she drops off early then she does type thing. Always fed mine on demand and that works fine for us. When Caitlin stopped having bottles at night we gave her 'supper' :D I always had supper as a kid.

I just seen his age I wouldn't drop a night bottle unless hes getting up earlier in mornings - maybe you found he woke up? I'd have woke him up for fresh PJS, bum ... but not everyone does that. x

what about dream feeding?

Rebecca was about the same age when she dropped her last night feed. we used to wake her for it but as time went on it was taking longer and longer for her to go back to sleep and she wasnt happy at getting woken up either!! she pretty much decided to drop the feed herself

she would sleep from 8pm until 5am at that age. i always thought that if she was hungry she would wake up

what time did he wake up?

I wouldn't start dream feeding. How will you know when to stop? That's what I always thought anyway.

What happened in the end? I would have definitely just left him to it and accepted that he may wake up. I'm always glad that I listened to the advice my Mum gave me not to wake a sleeping baby at night!

we've dropped the last feed and put alex to bed at 8 after a last feed. he then sleeps through until 4 - 5ish, it's a bit annoying having to get up again in the night but i'm thinking that over time he'll stay asleep for longer, and at least i get a lie-in in the morning :)

I'm always glad that I listened to the advice my Mum gave me not to wake a sleeping baby at night!

me too, it surprised me how many of my friends still wake their babies to feed after they were 3/4 months old

Well we left him sleeping but sure enough he woke up at 3am! :hissy: He was stirring from about 2.30am but not crying so I didn't get up, just lay there listening to him to see if he'd go back off, but by about 3am ish he started crying so I had to feed him. He slept for about the same amount of time that he does when he has a feed at 10ish and then sleeps through to 6 or 7am so he obviously does still need that late night feed. The thing is it was very odd how he slept through the evening, a total change from normal when he is usually awake all evening with us. And that's the first time he's woken up in the night for over 5 weeks!

Now I am wondering what will happen tonight as surely this could distrupt the routine he was on as he's already had an extra feed today (at 3am) so I wondering if that means when he has his 7pm ish one he will think that's his last one (sixth feed of the day) and go off to sleep early and wake up in the night again?!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->