sleeping through the night

Olivette

Reaction score
DD was 8lb 4oz at birth. By 5 days old she'd not lost weight and was 8lb 8oz. At 10 days old she was 9lb 2oz. She hasn't been weighed since but I'm positive she's continued to gain weight. She's been happily feeding every 2-2.5 hours in the day and every 3-4 hours at night.

She fed last night at 11:50pm. I'm not sure how long she fed as we both dozed on and off. When she'd finished I moved her to her moses basket. She went back to sleep and so did I. She then woke for a feed
I expected it to be 3-4am but it was actually 6:20am. Shed slept for pretty much 6 hours and had technically slept through the night.

I'm wondering if I should have woken her? I've read up alot on this and I know the consenses is usally only to wake them in the very early days if they hadn't regained their birth weight. Her weight gain has been fantastic and feeding has been established. What do you think? Is it OK to let her sleep that long? We're feeding on demand and I'm happy with weight gain.

Ox

weight gain is great so i would not wake baby you are following his pattern so go with that who knows what will happen tonight

I was told by the community nurse that you shouldn't let a bub sleep longer than 5hrs during the night, until your milk is well established. I would give bub a feed at 7pm then a dream feed at midnight then 5am, this would get me a good few hours sleep. A friend of mine was letting her bub sleep through the night at 5-6 weeks old (10hrs) and she lost her milk supply :( My routine when bub was a newborn was 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm, midnight, 5am then 7am (8 feeds in a 24hr period). Bub is still feeding 3 hourly during the day but will go anywhere from 5-9hrs during the night :)

Hope this helps xx

Thank you :). I was of same thinking Shanny, I think it will probably just be a fluke and a one off. I shall see how it goes tonight. I think I might set my alarm for 3/4 hours and just have a peak in and see what I think then.

Ox

Heck would I wake her you lucky lady lol. She sounds like she is doing fab, if your supply is affected as a result she will soon make up for it and build your supply back up, she was still feeding in the evening which is what I have been told is the main time for cluster feeding telling your body to make more etc. I was told to wake every 4 hours for the first 2 weeks for supply issues, not that I had the choice but I still wouldn't wake him in the night!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->