Slight rant and help needed!!

bdsummer

Reaction score
So, my LO was 10 weeks early born at 2lbs 13oz and left hospital after 6 weeks on Nutriprem2 weighing 4lbs 3oz. Shes now 5months corrected and weighing 14lbs and has managed to maintain her weight on the 50th centile (corrected age) for the past 2 and a half months which is brilliant. When I was at the health visitor on Friday I asked them about weaning and she just gave me this blank look and was like shes a preemie isnt she? I said yes, 10 weeks early, again I got a funny look and all I got was, well to be honest I dont know, maybe wait until shes a bit older than 6months(corrected btw) but I amnt too sure so maybe just wait until your next appointment at the hospital. Thats all fine and dandy but thats not until the start of November, and the more I read it says preemies should be weened at between 5-7months actual, so I'm a bot stuck at what to do!! I am very annoyed with the HV though, for having to deal with a preemie should she not be a little more informed, I came away feeling like I can't ask anything as she isnt going to know!! HELP!

Ahhh, the old "my HV knows nothing rant". We get that a lot in here.

Bliss guidelines are 5-7 month actual. We did it at 5 months actual. Bottom line is, if you think LO is ready, do it. Point your HV to the Bliss website if she has any questions.

my HV argued with me in my stair and told me it was way too early. a week or two later neonatal sent her a letter informing her i should have been well into weaning by now :haha:

go with your instincts, stick to the 5-7m actual age

my hv knows nothing yet she claims to have worked on neonatal....

I tend to stick with the others in here, you cant go wrong :p

I tend to stick to what neonatal tell me and what I research myselfas my HV willingly admits she knows nothing about preemies! We started weaning Amelia at 14 weeks actual on he rconsulatants advice as she had such severe reflux she wasn't gaining weight as her milk was all coming back up. Obviously I wouldnt reccomend 14 weeks as its far to early in normal circumstances and we stuck to very milky baby rice untill 17 weeks.

Health visitor told me she was going to refer us to a dietician when shes 6 moths corrected as she'll 'probably' be ready a month or two after. Pffft shed have chewed her own arm off by then

I

Health visitor told me she was going to refer us to a dietician when shes 6 moths corrected as she'll 'probably' be ready a month or two after. Pffft shed have chewed her own arm off by then

Same here. By the time we got to the dietitian, she was well into weaning!

Leo was 6 months (3 months corrected) when we started, to be honest I think he was ready for it at 5 months! My HV was a dick about it too

Ah thanks guys, just felt like the HV was a bit useless the other day, thing is she looked at me as if it was my fault she was a preemie and didnt know, ugh! I've started Brooke on some baby rice and things and she LOVES it, just what she needed :)

I try to have as little contact with mine as possible as shes lessthan useless lol

Glad Brooke is enjoying her baby rice.It was like a revelation with Amelia, she has honestly been like a different baby. So happy and content x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->