Slow cooker recipes?

BellaBoo0512

Reaction score
I got given a slow cooker a while ago and have never used it.. Mainly because I don't have a clue what to do with it :shrug:

Can all you lovely ladies give me some recipe ideas please? :flower:

I love marinating a leg of lamb from the night before in the fridge, you can use anything you want really, I just rub oil and spices over it. I then put it in the slow cooker the next day for 8 hours on low. Makes such succulent juicy lamb which just falls of the bone. I also love putting a whole chicken in. I use about a 5 lb chicken, put in the slow cooker with large chunks of carrots, small potatoes and sliced onions, cook on low for 6 hours then transfer it all including the veg to a baking dish and put in the oven on high for 10/15 mins so it crisps up the outsides. Again the meat falls off the bone and it retains all it's moisture. All the juices that come from both the lamb and the chicken make great gravy for your dinner too. I just mix with Bisto to thicken and to add even more flavour. This is the only way I cook roasts now!

you can cook anything in it..
from bread to roast dinners.

ive done spag bowl,
shepherds pie,
chicken casserole,
the list is endless really.

just google slow cooker recipes & you will find loads! x

I use my slow cooker loads for curry, casserole, meat for a roast, chilli, bolognese,BBQ pulled pork, gammon cooked in coke or pineapple juice is really nice, there really is loads that you can make in a slow cooker.

There is a great facebook group called slow cooked wonders :)

I use mine at least 4 times a week! Fav dishes are sausage casserole, lamb doner kebab (lamb mince and spices and then cook) jaffa chocolate sponge pudding, nandos chicken

I'm so glad you posted this thread I was wondering the same earlier ! Sometimes I'm out the house for 9 hours of the day I can't just leave it on can I?x

I'm so glad you posted this thread I was wondering the same earlier ! Sometimes I'm out the house for 9 hours of the day I can't just leave it on can I?x

Yep you sure can, it will just turn off once the time you've set has been reached.

i leave mine on..
it goes on at 8am on low & then gets switched to the 'warm' setting when i get in at 4pm ish & turned off at dinner time.. so 10 hrs.

i leave it on over night too for soup for lunch etc. x

Wow so I can literarily make anything?

yep :)
i have bread in mine at the moment. to go with the soup i made earlier for lunch tomorrow :)

tomorrow for dinner we are have tacos :thumbup: x

Anything. I always say my slow cooker is magical :haha:

Ahh I need to make something! When you make your lamb or chicken do you add your veg in?x

When I make chicken I do (sometimes I don't have space for all the potatoes though depending on how many I'm making so will just roast them in the oven separately.) When I make the lamb I do my veg separately as a lot of the fat melts with lamb so it's juices are quite oily. Plus because of the spices I rub on the lamb I prefer to have the veg a bit plainer rather than having the same flavour as what's on the lamb. So I either steam or boil carrots and broccoli, or I roast potatoes and carrots in the oven.

Ahh I need to make something! When you make your lamb or chicken do you add your veg in?x

When I make chicken I do (sometimes I don't have space for all the potatoes though depending on how many I'm making so will just roast them in the oven separately.) When I make the lamb I do my veg separately as a lot of the fat melts with lamb so it's juices are quite oily. Plus because of the spices I rub on the lamb I prefer to have the veg a bit plainer rather than having the same flavour as what's on the lamb. So I either steam or boil carrots and broccoli, or I roast potatoes and carrots in the oven.

So would a steamer work the same way as a slow cooker?xx

No, a steamer works by cooking with boiling waters steam so needs a water source. It cooks food faster than a slow cooker, you would also need to keep topping up the water source as the water will slowly evaporate. A slow cooker cooks food extremely slowly on a very low heat so you leave it for longer without having to touch it. It's also supposed to save on electricity bills at it operates on such low wattage.

I'm going to give sausage casserole tomorrow (going to MIL's tonight).

I didn't know you could make soup in them! Ooo I'm excited now haha!

I had a slow cooker for years and hadnt even taken it out its box. The past 3 weeks I decided to use it and im amazed at what you can put in it.

iv put hunters chicken in it twice, just chicken with bbq sauce, bacon and then when I got home id put the cheese on with it fpr an hour or so.
iv made a mexican casserole
chicken, ham and cheese
a gammon joint with glazed honey

I never realised you could just put a bit of chicken in, I thought ud have to cook it first then put it in a liquid so it didnt stick, no idea ehy?
But you literally just throw it in and close the lid, thats it!

No, a steamer works by cooking with boiling waters steam so needs a water source. It cooks food faster than a slow cooker, you would also need to keep topping up the water source as the water will slowly evaporate. A slow cooker cooks food extremely slowly on a very low heat so you leave it for longer without having to touch it. It's also supposed to save on electricity bills at it operates on such low wattage.

they use less electric being on for 8 hours than to have a cooker on for 1hr :thumbup:

x

Ooh great thread I haven't had my slow cooker out for a while as didn't really know what to make in it apart from stews and rice pudding. Think I'll get it back out tomorrow and try something new!
I'm confused though.. When you cook meat in it such a a chicken do you have to add liquid and if so how much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->