Slow cookers?

J

Jem88

I've been thinking about getting a slow cooker for a while but are they good? What kind of things do you make in yours?

I've heard you can put the stuff in, leave it and go out etc, but does the food stick do the bottom? x

i love mine.
nothing sticks, its brilliant!

Its says cook meat first but i never do, i just chuck everything in raw and leave it all day and its tasty and yummy.

Can do anything really, curry, chilli, stew, rice pudding etc

i'm a huge slow cooker fan especially in the wonter. great for days out when you come in and the last thing you feel like doing is starting to cook.
I mainly do caserole type dishes with meat, loads of veg and pulses and rich gravy. They are a huge time saver, so simple and don't use much electricity. You can also ger away with using really cheap cuts of meat as the cooking process makes it incredibly tender.

Love it. I do chilli, curry, casseroles etc. I did a gammon joint in it the other day cooked in pineapple juice for about 6 hours. It was delicious :)

slow cookers are brilliant - I have 2! You can cook pretty much anything except turkey because it doesn't cook at a high enough temperature to make it safe enough to eat. I cooked a whole chicken before in a slow cooker, with lemon and tarragon. Also, curries, chillies, bolognese, stews, casseroles, puddings. I even make mullled wine in the slow cooker at christmas.

I always brown the meat first before I put it in though.

Love my slow cooker.... am doing a beef casserole in it tomorrow as I'm out most of the day and the kids are at karate in the evening so I won't have much chance to cook!

I also brown the meat before putting it in, but you don't have to. I will chuck the beef, potatoes, veg & stock in at about 7:30am, put it on low and it'll be ready to much in the evening!

i love my slow cooker chuck everything in leave it 6-8 hours adnd its done!!

i make:

spag bol
chilli
stew
joints of meat
soup

loads of stuff xx

Yesterday I made boneless skinless chicken thighs cooked in a VH honey garlic sauce.
It was so good! All I had to do after was make my rice and veg and that took all of 10 mins.
The day before I took thick cut pork chops added some browning gravy, one can of cream of potato soup, 1 cup of sour cream and onion some s&p and some thyme then served it with mash and veggies. So easy and so yummy.

Love my slow cooker.

Maybe not allowed but I'm selling one in Buy, Swap and Sell (Home Electrical) xx

I love mine!!

Most common things I do are...

* Spag Bol (and then use half in a lasagne)
* Steak and Ale Pie (Which I top with pastry when I get home and pop in the oven)
* Curry (cheat using paste but chuck all ingredient in and then cook rice when we get home)
* Stew (great as only needs bread and butter with it!)

Going to try cottage pie next week as apparently OH really fancies it! I do cheat and use a lot of packet mixes in it, but it's so nice to come home and it's all done!!

Another one which was nice was boneless chicken thigh just cooked in a pot of salsa. I just served it with microwave rice

having a slow cooker dinner tonight . The only negative thing I can say about having a slow cooker is that it makes me hungry because I can smell food all day.

These meals sound delicious! Can anyone share some recipes please?

A friend recently told us to put a whole chicken in the slow cooker, you don't need to put anything else in, no water, the steam from the chicken keeps everything moist and stops it sticking. We have done them with onion inside the chicken, paprika on the outside and also tried it done on a bed of sliced lemon, all of which are lovely.

If you google whole chicken cooked in slow cooker there are some different receipes (eg garlic chicken) and timings, I think they're on the sainsburys website but not 100% sure.

i just chuck whatever in mine. i cut up burgers, passata, herbs, seasoning, peppers, potatoes & onion in mine yday! was delicious with crusty bread.

I have to agree that the slow cooker is a fab piece of kit! You really can put just about anything in, cheap meat comes out tender and lush because of the long cooking. Rice pudding is great. Curry, chilli, stew, soup, any kind of stuff, it's well easy :)

How long would you need to cook a whole chicken for?

My husband says 9 to 10 hours for whole chicken in slow cooker, if you google it there's some great ideas and cooking time on sainsburys website x

I love mine! I also have two.

We use ours at least once a week. We cook allsorts in there too. From chillis, chickens, stews, soups and we've done mulled wine!

We've currently got a chicken stew on.

If you put your chicken in though, screw up balls of tin foil and put them underneath. It doesn't end up sat in all the fat then (unless of course you like it like that).

I also put my chicken in breast down too....I find it tends to keep more moisture in that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->