Slow growing fetal pole, failing pregnancy? Support needed

ClassyBlonde

Reaction score
So I found out I was pregnant, roughly about 7 weeks if my dates were when I believed them to be.

I was booked in for an internal ultrasound as I’ve had a history of miscarriages and they wanted to check how everything was going.

In the scan it was measuring at only 5 weeks, they said it was too small to scan and to come back in a weeks time.

I returned a week later to be told that it was only measuring at 5 weeks and 3 days, that it should have grown more than it had and that it was going to be a failing pregnancy. I was told to expect bleeding and that nature would take its course within the next couple of days. I was booked in for a scan in 10 days time to check how things were going.

With no signs of bleeding, just lack of pregnancy symptoms I had my scan today. I was told that it had only grown 1mm and was now measuring at 5 weeks and 5 days. There is no sign of a fetal heartbeat. If I go off the day of my first scan and measuring 5 weeks I should be 8 weeks and 1 day but measuring at only 5 weeks and 5 days.

It seems like it’s growing 1mm every 10 days which is extremely slow and insufficient growth from what I’ve been told.

Due to the guidelines that they have to follow they cannot offer me any options, just a wait it out game. I have another scan booked for a weeks time to see if there is any further growth but I was told it’s a failing pregnancy.

I don’t really know how I’m supposed to feel if I’m honest, me and my partner are trying to come to terms with the fact that we are losing our baby, but it’s a waiting game with scans every 10 days until there is no sign of growth.

They seem sure that the slow growth is an indication of a failing pregnancy, but waiting it out unsure of when or if I’m going to bleed and be in pain is really taking it’s toll on me.

I’m struggling to sleep and eat meals. This is all becoming a bit much for me but there doesn’t seem to be any answers or a way to fix this

This seemed like the best place to post this, hopefully somebody can relate or could offer support because I’m so scared and worried.

I’m so sorry you’re going through this :( I don’t have any suggestions for you but I didn’t want to read and run. Try and remember you won’t be in limbo forever :hugs: I’m hoping for the best for you!

I’m really sorry to read this: there is a loss thread somewhere, there might be some ladies who can offer more advice to you or if they have been through a similar thing.

Sending lots of love and prayer xx

This is so very sad to read and I am so sorry ure going through this.
I can't believe they are making u just wait.

There is a miscarriage support page on here.
I've never been in ure situation but I have had 7 losses.
My first was at 10+4 weeks and was horrible but I had a huge bleed at 6 weeks and was told then and there I was having a threatening miscarriage.
The bleeding stopped after a few days but something just didn't feel right then at 10+4 I bled very very heavy.

I hope that someone in the miscarriage section can offer more advice hon.
I'm just so sorry and sending warm gentle hugs

This is so very sad to read and I am so sorry ure going through this.
I can't believe they are making u just wait.

There is a miscarriage support page on here.
I've never been in ure situation but I have had 7 losses.
My first was at 10+4 weeks and was horrible but I had a huge bleed at 6 weeks and was told then and there I was having a threatening miscarriage.
The bleeding stopped after a few days but something just didn't feel right then at 10+4 I bled very very heavy.

I hope that someone in the miscarriage section can offer more advice hon.
I'm just so sorry and sending warm gentle hugs
Thank you so much for replying. I didn’t realise there was a loss thread so thank you for pointing me in that direction x

I'm sorry you are going through this. I can relate as I went through simular last summer.

I had a scan at 6 weeks as I had some pain which showed baby measuring more like 4 +3. They dismissed me that my dates were wrong but I knew they were right. I paid for a private scan at 7 weeks which showed no fetal pole so had to be referred back. They scanned me and saw a tiny fetal pole but no heartbeat and measured 6+3 at that point I should have been 8 weeks. They made me wait another week and rescanned which showed no growth so they finally helped me end the pregnancy. The waiting was horrible. I was forever googling trying to look for good outcomes even though I knew my pregnancy was failing. Due to retained products I was 16 weeks before I finally got a negative test and could move on.

Sending you big hugs.

I'm sorry you are going through this. I can relate as I went through simular last summer.

I had a scan at 6 weeks as I had some pain which showed baby measuring more like 4 +3. They dismissed me that my dates were wrong but I knew they were right. I paid for a private scan at 7 weeks which showed no fetal pole so had to be referred back. They scanned me and saw a tiny fetal pole but no heartbeat and measured 6+3 at that point I should have been 8 weeks. They made me wait another week and rescanned which showed no growth so they finally helped me end the pregnancy. The waiting was horrible. I was forever googling trying to look for good outcomes even though I knew my pregnancy was failing. Due to retained products I was 16 weeks before I finally got a negative test and could move on.

Sending you big hugs.

I’m so sorry for your loss :(

Your situation sounds very similar to mine. I was told that they will keep rescanning until there is a sign of no growth or if it reaches 7mm in length but with it only just measuring at 3.9 that could take a long time. TMI but I’ve had streaking of blood in discharge today so I’m wondering if this could be the beginning:(

Oh sweet heart my heart is breaking for you it's just horrible.
:cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"