• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Slow wight gain

Serafina83

Reaction score
My son is 5 months old and weighs 14 lb, our doctors has referred us to the hospital to see peadiatrition. When he was born he was 8 lb. he has dropped from the 75 th centile to the 9th. I thought he was fine is very alert has let's of wet nappies seems to feed well every 3 hrs or so. And he's always so happy and active. Am getting really worried now though. Has anyone else had to o hospital for this reason? What will they do and ask?

He is on the 9th! Not off the chart or even on the lowest. If you are happy he is well then please do not worry.

My youngest was / is the same. She was born at 8lb 4oz & by 6 months was still under 15lb. Thankfully no one was concerned - she was born bigger than she should naturally be. She's followed her own line between the 9th & 25th centile since 2-3 months.

Thai you for your replies.
Odd socks when did you little ones weight gain start slowing down?
Here is a list of my sons weights and ages.
Birth 8.1
2 weeks 9lb6
4 weeks 10lb10
7 weeks 11lb
9 weeks 11lb14
13 weeks 12lb8
16 weeks 12lb12
17 weeks 13lb
18 weeks 13lb11
20 week. 14lb
21 week14lb half oz

My dd is having slow weight gain but nurses like crazy i even give her ebm. Her weights are
birth 7 10
1 month 8 5
2 monthes 9 1
This is so far. Shes 23" long and tallest in her class on the charts but in weight shes in 4%. So i understand ur fear. Do u ebf? If so has doctor mentioned supplementing?

The health visiter did say to give 1 bottle a day I've tried this no difference so went back to ebf. He's also really tall 71cm he's on the 98th c for length and just under 9th for weight. Are the doctors monitoring you lo also?

Hi,
My sons were never healthy when they were born .T hey Both were only 6lb.By 6 months they were about 12 lbs. was just careful about their feeding. They both were fine .By nine months they were like any healthy child

Yes we have to go in for weight checks. Hevis expectibg her to gain at the least 12oz by next visit (2 1/2weeks). I first told some babies double birth weight by 6 monthes but now it feels like they are expecting it to happen sooner then what was first said. I say go with ur instinct mommy.

Once he is gaining I wouldnt worry, its not a race!:thumbup::thumbup:

I can't remember exactly - she was 8lb 4oz born & only dropped to 7lb 15oz at 5 days, was 8lb 13oz at 4 weeks, 10lb 1oz at 8 weeks & has since never put on more than a pound a month, significantly less than my eldest gained (she was ff). She was 10 months before she doubled her birth weight, but no-one was concerned - she crawled at 5 months started walking at 10.5 months. I think she just has a great metabolism (lucky thing!) xx

Well I have been and the peadiatrition was concerned with him at all, said he's meeting all his milestone s is happy and alert. So said not to worry. She thinks its because he is so active, he's burning all the calories he's eating :)

My son was ff. Didn't gain well but it turns out I fattened him up in the womb so born on 50th. Now on 2nd. 18m and weighs 20lb. Healthy as a horse.

I've been going through the same . Hv kept going on how Noah was apparently failing to thrive. He was putting on weight great for the first couple months then started to slow one month putting on only 4oz the next putting on nothing so she started trying to push top ups and a referral but I told her no I wasn't worried, I wouldn't too up bit I agreed to try feed more and return on a week. That whole week I spent panicking and looking far to much into every cry every feed etc even though I knew deep down he was fine I couldn't help it. We went back the week later and he had gained 3oz , which was good he was now following a new line perfect, but yet she seemed to expect more , not sure what she was expecting in a week but hey ho, so off she sent us to the gp, claiming our big was failing to thrive. It actually really upset me as he is clearly a happy healthy baby boy doing all he should I was proud he was doing well and thought he was naturally small and then I had her hounding me making me doubt me. Thankfully my hubby kept me strong.

Anyway went gp yesterday she checked Noah out and said he was perfect!! Nothing wrong whatsoever we then had a good chat and she told me we were doing great, and she was glad I didn't top up and that I shouldn't anyway as breast milk is much better for that then formula - I loved her. She told me to carry on as I am and weigh h once a month rather than a week like hv has been doing just to keep an eye. We agreed if he lost weight or had a major drop I'd go back see her but she thinks he's perfect.

My point sometimes he's should just be ignored. They push us to breast feed then make issues when there aren't . They forget that breasted babies put on weight different to formula. Fed , oh and that every baby is different!!! In the first couple months breasted babies put on weight fast but after that they tend to slow right down even tend to drop centiles. But it's all perfectly normal.

Trust your instincts Hun, you know if your baby is fine :)

I almost let it get to me but thank to my hubby and some good online friends I've managed to prove all is fine and keep to my guns :)

Thanks ladies.

My dd is not gaining for losing :( im so worried

aug 9 weighed 9lbs 1oz. Todays she exact weight. Im extremely engorged on left side. Shes not taking my milk from me :(

Thanks ladies.

My dd is not gaining for losing :( im so worried

aug 9 weighed 9lbs 1oz. Todays she exact weight. Im extremely engorged on left side. Shes not taking my milk from me :(

What is your instinct saying?

She is very active happy content but long and thin. She filled in where her newborn wrinkles where to plump shiny skin she has chubby cheeks and loves to babble. She can transition 1.5oz in less then 5mins of bf when weighed on my home scale (of course she eats what she wants) today we weighed her naked on same scale and she had a 1 1/2 oz weight gain in a full week (overnight) & we took that weight right before her feeding so she had empty tummy. You see all these plump babies and its ideal healthy but a skinny long baby is seen as ill with poor brain development as far as my dr states. This is her pediatrician. X li x what is a gp?? Maybe i should see one for a second opinion. Her pedi is her primary doctor and telling me shes tallest in her class but in 4% for weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->