Small brag! We made it too a year!

Janers

Reaction score
I got off to such a lousy start with breastfeeding. My daughter was born with lots of issues and spent time in the NICU, where she was given bottles and I couldn't see or hold her for many many hours. I tried desperately to get her too latch on her entire hospital stay but had no luck at all.

So I pumped for her, I felt like I was attached to that darn pump 24 hours a day. I tried everything to get her to latch, I saw lactation consultants (who were wonderful), I went to Le Leche League meetings (also wonderful) but nothing seemed to help so I kept pumping.

It was 10 weeks before she finally latched. I was ecstatic:happydance:! Here we are at 1 year, and still going strong. I had no idea how much our breastfeeding relationship would mean to me. :cloud9: It has been an amazing journey.

I hope if there are other Mums out there struggling with something similar they know they CAN do it. The struggle is worth it.

What an inspiring story! Congratulations :hugs:

That is amazing, and it should be a huge brag, you both deserve it!

I am so happy for you. And yes, others should know, it can happen even when you think it is impossible. We had a rough start as well with months of screaming at boob and off and lots of pain. Turns out my son's tongue tie wasn't released properly and he also had upper and lower lip ties. We finally made it to a year almost a month ago. I can't express how happy I am and proud too, because there were so many moments I thought of giving up.

That is amazing, and it should be a huge brag, you both deserve it!

I am so happy for you. And yes, others should know, it can happen even when you think it is impossible. We had a rough start as well with months of screaming at boob and off and lots of pain. Turns out my son's tongue tie wasn't released properly and he also had upper and lower lip ties. We finally made it to a year almost a month ago. I can't express how happy I am and proud too, because there were so many moments I thought of giving up.

It is something to be proud of! Good for you to get through so much!

Before I had my baby I was sure I would stop breastfeeding at a year, just thinking I would want my freedom back. Now that i'm here, I couldn't imagine quitting! I plan to just let her wean on her own. So funny how things change once you've had your baby.

Thanks for all the kind words!

My real life friends think i'm crazy for still breastfeeding, so they definitely do not understand why I am celebrating. I'm glad to be able to talk about it with some like minded women!

Wow, you are so dedicated to have pumped for 10 weeks - you were one determined mamma! Congratulations :)

Thanks for all the kind words!

My real life friends think i'm crazy for still breastfeeding, so they definitely do not understand why I am celebrating. I'm glad to be able to talk about it with some like minded women!

I hear you! I have the same problem. I have met women that BF past a year, but I don't know them except in passing. everybody else in my family or friends stopped at 6 months or one of my sisters went a year. Most of my friends didn't even BF. Some tried, but it was too hard and they didn't stick it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->