Smear tests during pregnancy?

elm

Mama
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I booked a smear test for next week while I was at the drs for my midwife appointment but when I told her about it she said they probably won't do it as I'm pregnant. I only booked in the first place after reading on some medical site that they're routine during pregnancy. I'm on six monthly ones at the moment as I've had some abnormal cells and had to have a couple of colposcopies, my last test was the first clear one for about two years.

I'm going to ring the nurse tomorrow and check but as it will probably take days to get to actually talk to anyone I'm wondering if I should just cancel anyway (I really don't want to have it but will if I need to!!!).

Has anyone else had one during pregnancy / been told not to have one?

Thanks everyone

:hug:

At my booking in appointment, my midwife asked me if id ever had a smear test and I said no. She said I should of had one but I just thought they automatically sent a letter when you needed one, usually over 25 i thought but hey i was wrong. She said I cant have one until after ive had our baby as they dont like doing them and has made a note to say I will need one after birth. I wondered why too because i read somewhere they do them during pregnancy.

In Canada/US they do them routinely if you haven't had one for a year. It creeps me out to have something like that done while pregnant, so I told them I wasn't doing it. But, here it is common and it won't hurt the baby, it just isn't common practice in the UK I believe. However, since you HAVE had abnormal cells, they may do one. Cells can change rapidly during pregnancy during horomones and they may want to keep an eye on it.

Like Rae said it's quite common to have them done in Canada, it hadn't even been a year since my last smear and they still did another one at 10 weeks.

I had one in my first trimester. If they know what they're doing (as we all hope our doctors do), it should be completely safe & just a routine procedure.

Thanks everyone, that explains the discrepency - it was probably a US / Canadian website I was looking at, doesn't explain why they don't like doing them here though that's strange.

I'll try really hard to get to talk to someone at the surgery today.

Thanks everyone, that explains the discrepency - it was probably a US / Canadian website I was looking at, doesn't explain why they don't like doing them here though that's strange.

I'll try really hard to get to talk to someone at the surgery today.

I think it may have something to do with how tender your cervix is. Plus, a lot ofpregnant women panic b/c they get some bleeding after a smear test. I'm going to ask my MW next week about it cos I got a letter about 3 months ago and a reminder last week :\

Got through to the doctors, didn't speak to the nurse but the receptionist let me know what she'd said (and she gave info from my previous history so it was lots more reassuring!), I am safe to leave it for now as I only had mild changes before and because my last test was clear. She said I'll need to have my next one 12 weeks after LO is born.

Really glad she was able to reassure me or I'd have been worrying about it, am also pleased I haven't got to have one done yet :happydance:

Thanks again for all your replies x

I know I've missed the boat on this one, but I got a smear reminder soon after my BFP and the MW asked if I was due then said they will do a postnatal one. About 3 weeks after I think to give me time to recover.

I'm in Manitoba (Canada) and they FORCE you to get a smear. You don't have a choice, it's a routine part of pregnancy check-ups. I'm sure if there were risks they'd tell you wouldn't they?

Im due one in august, so will probably be sent for one, better to be safe than sorry though, thats what i say.

Im due one in august, so will probably be sent for one, better to be safe than sorry though, thats what i say.

Think I'll be safe not having one or they wouldn't have said it. Maybe the cervix changes a bit during pregnancy so the smear is to look for infections rarther than to compare cells and look at cellular change?

I was reassured that it was ok to leave it and they're not going to do one anyway.

i had a smear during early pregnancy simply because i didnt know i was preggers, i had the abnormal cells and they sent me for a colposcopy, i told them on the phone that i was preggers but they said it didnt matter as i had grade 3 cells and they needed moving asap.............anyway when i got to the hospital i mentioned again that i was preggers and they wouldnt do it as it was to dangerous so i had to wait untill the baby was 2months old then go back
luckily i had the all clear after

i was told in america they are routine during the pregnancy if you havent had one yet that year.

I was due for a smear before I fell pregnant. At my booking in appt, the midwife wrote on my notes that I need one done post natal.
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->