SMEP (Sperm Meets Egg Plan) Ebook

enmaree

Reaction score
Hey all! I was researching SMEP, since husband and I are going to try out that method this month. I came across an ebook about it that is very detailed. It also goes into detail about how to apply the method when you have shorter (me!) or longer than normal cycles.

HERE is the link to full ebook.

Excerpt from it:

Summary - Refresher

"Try" every other night starting Day 8 (This assumes a 27-31 day cycle. See detailed version for shorter/longer cycles.)

Buy 10 ovulation predictor kit sticks (Once you know your cycle, you may only need 5)

Begin ovulation testing on Day 10. (Test in the AFTERNOON, after holding pee for at least 4 hours.)

When test is positive, "try" that night, plus two additional nights in a row.

Skip one night, then do one last "try". Take a home pregnancy test 15 days after your ovulation test was positive, if your period has not begun. (Sure, you can take the early ones, but read the section on chemical pregnancies FIRST.)

If your ovulation test never goes positive, continue "trying" every other night until when you would have expected your period (or day 35 if you are random), then do a pregnancy test if your period has not begun.

Detailed version of the plan

On day 8 of your cycle, counting from the first day you bled, begin "trying" every other night.

If your cycle is usually 26 days or less, start on day 6.

If your cycle is usually longer than 32 days, start on day 10.

If your cycles are completely irregular, follow the standard plan.

Begin taking Ovulation Predictor Kits on Day 10.

For short cycles, start day 8.

For long cycles, subtract 20 from the average length and start then. For example, if your cycles are between 34 and 36 days, the average is 35. Subtract 20, so start your OPK on day 15.

Buy enough tests that you won’t be tempted to stop too early or run out on a critical day. The inexpensive Wondfo strips you get online (50 for $20) are fine, realizing that there are occasional bad batches. I like to have a couple drugstore sticks around as back up, but rely mainly on the inexpensive ones.

To make sure your OPK is working well, take your test in the afternoon or after work and do not drink excessive liquids or go to the bathroom for at least four hours prior to testing. (Morning is not a good time for OPKs, which look for the LH surge, which usually happens during the day.)

Read your OPK instructions carefully, as two lines do not indicate a positive. You need a line that is the same darkness or darker than the test line. LH is produced throughout your cycle and will only predict ovulation when it has a big surge. If you are over 40, read the exceptions in the special section for you.

When your OPK turns positive, begin trying every night starting that night, for three nights in a row. It is generally true that once the LH surge occurs, which is what sets off the test, ovulation in imminent. The problem is that you don’t know what PART of the surge you are catching— beginning, middle, or end.

Most surges happen in the afternoon, rather than right after sleeping. The general rule is that ovulation occurs 24-48 hours after the surge. So you’d expect to take the test, see the surge, and then ovulation would happen late the next day, or possibly as late as the day after that. But what if you catch the surge late? By the time you got a positive, you would actually already be 24 hours into your surge. That’s why you try that first night.

Also, while sperm SHOULD get to the tubes within about 45 minutes, it can take two days if your cervical mucus trips it up. Give those swimmers some time.

Of the three tries, the middle one is most important. It is most likely the day of your ovulation. If you are dead tired or having problems, this is the one to prioritize.

The third try is for those who caught the beginning of the surge, and thus might not ovulate for the full 48 hours.

Then skip one night, and try one last time.

You need a break, but you also need a last-chance bonus round. The thing about the LH surge is that it has only set in motion the process of ovulation. This process can be interrupted by:

Stress
Illness
Travel
Upset
Diet
Overwork

If your body determines, “Holy moly, this is NOT a good time for this gal to be pregnant,” it will delay ovulation. If ovulation is delayed too long, your body will skip it. This can cause an early period, a late period, a heavy period, a light period —but generally something will feel out of sync.

But this is why we skip a night and try one last time. If your ovulation has been delayed for any reason, this last try is the one that will catch it. For some of us (and I am one of those), our high-stress lifestyles mean that ovulation isn’t always when you think it will be. Stopping too early is what caused me almost a year of failure.

If you’re having trouble with the three days in a row, if it seems too hard or too much sex, check out tips and tricks for ideas on keeping the baby dance lively and fun rather than difficult and rote.

Should your OPK never become positive, keep the every other day trying going until day 35. I recommend by day 35 taking a home pregnancy test in case you missed your surge, either because you forgot your OPK, your test timing was bad, the test was faulty, or your urine was too watered down. You may take the pregnancy test earlier, particularly if your cycle is pretty regular. I know you want to know. Remember that not every women will ovulate every month. I personally did not ovulate for two months following my first miscarriage, and as I got older, I had 18 day cycles where I’m quite sure no ovulation occurred at all. Read more about this in the section on adjustments for common fertility problems.

You're welcome! I found it very in-depth, and more helpful than other things I read about it.

I am glad its free because I found most of this information on other forums and websites in our early years of TTC back in 2008. SMEP has been around a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->