Smoking on balcony

sparkle_1979

Mum to Ruby born Oct 2009
Reaction score
We live in townhouses and our next door neighbour sits on his balcony in the evening smoking... Before the nice weather I couldn't care less but now I'm sitting here with the windows open and it's stinking my sitting room out so I've closed them but its so hot!!

I don't know if I should say anything,mI can't have our balcony doors or windows open :wacko:

Part of me thinks well it's his balcony and he should be able to sit there and have a cigarette if he wants :shrug:

Would u say anything

Hes lived there 7 yrs and we only moved in 6 mths ago

I personally wouldn't say anything. My next door neighbour sits outside her house smoking too but I just don't open the windows. It's not worth the hassle of saying something imo, as annoying as it is!

I never said anything when the people with the balcony below ours used to smoke heavily all day with their windows open. I did, however, buy the cheapest nastiest smelling air-fresheners I could and spray them around a LOT into the air around my balcony when I knew they were there. Made me feel better at least :rofl:. We moved but next on my list was some sort of stink bomb.

Ugh! I would hate that :(. I wouldn't say anything though as I guess he's entitled to smoke on his balcony and I wouldn't want to cause any friction which could make living there uncomfortable.

No I think it would be quite unreasonable.
He is allowed to smoke on his balcony unfortunately. I agree with you though I hate the smell of smoke!

No it's his balcony his own space he can smoke where he likes as horrible as it is for you . X

Thanks yes you're all right I can't say anything it's just such a pain I can't have my doors open :(

Its an inconvenience and a pain in the arse but no, there is no way id say anything because I wouldnt like to ask someone to stop smoking on their own property!

Eurgh gross. How horrible. But no I guess you can't really say anything. It's his balcony. I guess you just have to keep windows/doors shut until he's finished puffing away!

I would hate that. It's his balcony but I still think it's incredibly inconsiderate, either that or ignorance, I think a lot of smokers aren't aware just how much it stinks and how far it can travel. I wouldn't say anything but I would childishly slam all the doors and windows the second I got a whiff :haha: it's so unfair though, the physical space might be his but it's not as if you can contain smoke outside. I won't be happy until the day tobacco is completely illegal, probably won't happen in my lifetime, but it will, eventually.

It's so annoying ... I thought he was working today so the windows were open. I was downstairs in the kitchen and when I went back up to the living room the room was stinking of smoke

I wont say anything I'm just gona moan big time to everyone else :)

I agree, I wouldn't say anything as you'd just likely have a really angry neighbor then.

When I was in college for my Masters, DH and I were in an apartment on the ground floor, with neighbors above us. They had rules for smoking and for cooking on a grill, that both had to be done at least 10 feet from the building. Which isn't that far from the building, honestly. But we'd pull our grill away from the building and grill at that space. Well, the neighbors HATED it because the smoke would come into their apartment when they had their windows open, but there wasn't anywhere else for us to go. The parking lot full of cars was in the way of going any further than we did go. They ended up torturing us in response to their annoyance, by throwing water all over the grill from their balcony, pounding on the floor with a broom in the middle of the night, yelling through the floorboards at all hours of the night, etc. IT was awful. We ended up moving as soon as we could get out of the lease. Yes, I get that it was not pleasant having smoke come into their apartment, but would it be so bad to have to close the windows for the 10 minutes it took us to grill? Or in your case, the 10 minutes or so it takes him to smoke? That is his right on his part of the property, not matter how much you dislike it.

That must have been a hard situation

I wouldn't mind just closing the windows but it seems I'm always too late and the house is stunk out before I realise ... I hate the smell.

I'm not anti smoking its peoples choice it's just he goes out and shuts his doors so his house doesn't stink but mine ends up smelling

It's just one of those things I have to put up with I guess

I used to have an issue like this. My neighbour smoked in his front garden and the smell used to drift up into my nursery. After saying rather loudly a few times about it smelling of smoke again and slamming the window shut, he got the hint and started smoking further away from the house.

It is inconsiderate .... My play room and youngest rooms are above it, so we can't open them either

He has a back garden where he could smoke if he sees windows open...maybe he doesn't think :shrug: sitting here now and urs do hot .. I have big balcony doors that would ideal to have open right now :nope:

bleh, horrible. i would hate that

i live in a smoke free building, theyre the best

Because he does have a back garden, so there is an option for him to smoke somewhere else comfortably on his own property, I would be tempted to ask him nicely, mentioning that the kiddies rooms are above. That said, I would never have the balls I'm too much of a wimp, but I definitely think it would be perfectly acceptable of you seeing as he does have somewhere else to go. Yes it's his balcony, but it's not like he's eating smelly cheese or something.

Eww how disgusting
I agree though that its his property, so I wouldn't say anything. Just a shame that you can't air everthing off with fresh air which I'd hate as I love opening my windows after the long winter. Xx

Oooh he has a garden?
Then I'd say something.
I thought u meant the balcony is his only outside space. I'd be really polite and just explain that your house ends up smelling. He might understand as he's gone out of his house to avoid stinking it out?! Xx

Yep he has a private garden but the balcony opens from the living room so I guess it's just quicker for him rather than go downstairs

I'm sitting here now and no joke the windows shut and I can still smell it :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->