Smoking?

you're going to hate me.....

cutting down isnt enough. baby steps are no good. your baby is developing NOW. Quit now. you can smoke again in 9 months if you want to. Go get some patches or gum. Go make a doctors appointment now.

You'll feel so much better.
These first 3 months are really important to baby.

My friend was adviced by her medical team that cutting down is a great start that the stress of not smoking could do the baby more harm and that patches & gum are contraindicated as they have not been proven as unharmful to pregnancy.

Well done on cutting down if you keep doing that every week you will be stopped before you know it xx

My MW was very happy I had cut down and didn't want me stressed I was already out of my mind with my pregnancy due to losses and an ectopic I was convinced Caitlin would not make it. As Elles says some MWs do strongly believe this if you are a heavy smoker or family members smoke around you.

I cut down from 40 to 10 then from 10 to 5! Sleep lots, cook, clean .... Also what helps is smoke outside STOP smoking inside *now* and ask family to be kind enough to do the same!

I also went to ULTRAS < *not* lights Silkcut ultra (silver)... hand one to a mate they will hand it back to you ;) But it controls the hand movements!

Hi!!:hi:

Smoked only 12 yesterday ,know it`s still not good enough
but..

I cut down atleast
How many did you smoke before? As above the ultras hun! Get to 10 on those your doing VERY well.

Its a touchy subject and well done for being brave speaking out :hugs: Your seriously not the only one and never will be - Theres lots of girls who wouldn't dare make a post like you or own up to the truth in fear of being stamped on by people who simply have never been in your shoes or people who were fortunate to quit (some not until 3rd tri on this forum) with no problems (dont ya hate them ppl lol I do ;) x).

Not my thread, but can I just say Wobbles that you are such a supportive person. As replied on the previous page, I am in the same situation and I think that words like yours are the ones that give us smokers the support we need to kick our dirty habit.

I have to admit that when someone looks down at me or makes a snide comment it actually makes me smoke more, cause I start to stress out about it more.

I am on 10 a day but I have set myself a goal for next week, the day after my 20 week scan I AM going to STOP. I'm kind of actually looking forward to it but I know that it will be the hardest thing that i've ever had to do.

Did you eventually stop Wobbles? xx

i am not wanting to be non supportive, but I just think that changes like smokign lights / ultras doesnt work - they still have as many chemicals / poison in them as a super-strength cigârette. It's not teh nictine that'll worry baby, more the chemicals and poisons..read the list of things added to cigarettes - paint stripper and all sorts!
I just tend to feel that being pregnant was the best inspiration for me to quit.
If a baby doesnt work then I'm not sure what would.

I do wish all smoekrs the best of luck, I just tend to be a bit harsh - I know - ex smokers are the worst!...:rofl:

I use to smoke a 10 pack a day b4 pregnancy I did smoke a few when i found out that i was pregnant then I just stopped one day for sake of my babies he doesnt deserve me harming his health like that I found it easy to stop to be honest I will probably go back to smoking after baby born

Everybody knows cigerettes have chemicals and so on ... seriously don't need it rammed down throats. I know for fact that pressure doesn't help you would think it would help (a smoker) but when it comes to it it doesn't.

I'd rather take advice from my MW and the smoking MW (yes they have them) who was very pleased I had changed my type of cigerette so if Im honest without being rude other peoples opinions didn't and don't touch me in the slightest its just a shame when people can't talk about it, be honest about it because with support not info forced down your throat that you already knew it can actually help. They do not contain and you do not inhale as much as you would in a full fat (as I call them) cigerette btw but that doesn't mean I think its right/I was right because I don't.

Supernurse - Sadly I did stick to 5 a day ultras I'd gone too far stressing. Tbh as a heavy smoker who smoked 40 a day for more than 10 years always been a smoker in the house I am very pleased with myself! I will say though its a shock when LO is born although you know whats inside of your tummy it doesn't quite hit until you see him/her and with me the GUILT hit me.

With my first pregnancy I smoked, and my MW advised me to not quit and to smoke as little as possible obvioulsy the less the better but no more than 5, as she would rather that then for me to struggle to quit and then cave in and have 20 in half a day, which made sense. But when I got to 6-7 months I quit altogether after hearing a news article, and I never looked back thru that pregnancy.

I quit smoking for good in Sept 2005 so it wasn't an issue with my last pregnancy!

Good luck hun! :hugs:x

Some people should be more sympathetic to people trying their best, at least girls are on here admitting they smoke and also making an effort to quit, and I say WELL DONE!!! Not everyone is as strong as others, and people are not stupid and do realise the risks - by why would that make it any easier when it is an addiction? That is what an addiction, something you can't give up even tho you try hard and desperately want to!

Support and encouragement is needed.......it is not easy for most people to quit and suggestions should be made to help people quit rather than stating facts that everyone already knows and probably feels shitty about without hearing it again.

Any effort is a great step!!!!! x

My MW was very happy I had cut down and didn't want me stressed I was already out of my mind with my pregnancy due to losses and an ectopic I was convinced Caitlin would not make it. As Elles says some MWs do strongly believe this if you are a heavy smoker or family members smoke around you.

I cut down from 40 to 10 then from 10 to 5! Sleep lots, cook, clean .... Also what helps is smoke outside STOP smoking inside *now* and ask family to be kind enough to do the same!

I also went to ULTRAS < *not* lights Silkcut ultra (silver)... hand one to a mate they will hand it back to you ;) But it controls the hand movements!

How many did you smoke before? As above the ultras hun! Get to 10 on those your doing VERY well.

Its a touchy subject and well done for being brave speaking out :hugs: Your seriously not the only one and never will be - Theres lots of girls who wouldn't dare make a post like you or own up to the truth in fear of being stamped on by people who simply have never been in your shoes or people who were fortunate to quit (some not until 3rd tri on this forum) with no problems (dont ya hate them ppl lol I do ;) x).

Aint that the truth, even with silk cut I am sure I used to turn purple trying to get a drag! x:rofl:

Not my thread, but can I just say Wobbles that you are such a supportive person. As replied on the previous page, I am in the same situation and I think that words like yours are the ones that give us smokers the support we need to kick our dirty habit.

I have to admit that when someone looks down at me or makes a snide comment it actually makes me smoke more, cause I start to stress out about it more.

I am on 10 a day but I have set myself a goal for next week, the day after my 20 week scan I AM going to STOP. I'm kind of actually looking forward to it but I know that it will be the hardest thing that i've ever had to do.

Did you eventually stop Wobbles? xx

The best of luck hun!!!! x

Some people should be more sympathetic to people trying their best, at least girls are on here admitting they smoke and also making an effort to quit,

I personally am sympathetic towards the babies.

I struggled for years to quit. I do know how hard it is. I assumed this thread also wanted advice from those who had managed to quit. I know the battles you have with yourself. But the inspiration of another life was certainly enough to slap me round the face and to tell me to get a grip. There was no longer time to hope that this quit was THE one. it HAS to be. I coudlnt pop a ciggie in the mouth of a baby laying in a cot. So I can't smoke now it's inside me. For me it was just like that.

Even if I might think "oooh i would like one of them..." I wouldnt have one. Smoking is a choice. And I'm choosing my my baby to not smoke. Even if it could upset my plans. I'd ratehr be pregannt than smoke!! To me it was a choice of eithr, both were not on the menu.

But for those who find it harder, for those that this isnt enough ..then I do have sympathy. But I only have sympathy for those who are doing everything they absolutely can - NRT, doctors appointments, counseliing, etc etc.
Thats just the way I feel.

Sorry for my rant..blame the hormones.
Phewee didnt I go on!..

Aint that the truth, even with silk cut I am sure I used to turn purple trying to get a drag! x:rofl:

Haha

Off topic but I was watching the bill the other night and the policeman took some ciggies in to a prisioner to say thanks for helping. I said to my OH 'Thats not a very nice thing to do' and he was like 'What? Taking her ciggies? I'm sure he didn't have to, I think it's lovely' so I said 'Yes, it would be, but he took her silk cuts'.

xxx

Its nothing to do with upsetting 'plans'!

People who have faced the same situation will reply (like me) not just people who suceeded 100% and the failures shush up. I personally am pleased with what I done as someone who struggled to quit for years - proud no but I don't think anyone is who has struggled to quit for any reason not just pregnancy but any progress is good progress.

Takes alot to admit and speak of, how well you did or did not without the constant arguement back round and round in circles we go :D

How you getting on Mommy btw?

Ask your MWs if they have a MW who deals/helps with smoking. I had the hand puffy things & its all free - the lady was an ex smoker (helps when its someone whos been a smoker I think) also and very nice. One problem I ran into was the FREE service was limited in my area and the one chemist that did the program stopped because one of the shop managers retired ffs (lived in small town/village).

I tink those who are trying to stop should use this thread to look at the progress they are making - perhaps that will keep inspiring you to continue to stop smoking. Also a friend of mine got a glass jar with baby fund written on it, and would put the money she would have spent on smoking in the jar. She could see it add up, and she used it to buy somelovely baby stuff. Just ideas but perhaps worth a go??

Good luck

Also a friend of mine got a glass jar with baby fund written on it, and would put the money she would have spent on smoking in the jar.
Thats a good idea!

Should have done that - Although I bought throughout the pram killed me at the end lol

well.... well done to to everyone who had reduced their cigarette intake and here's hoping that they can reduce it to zero.

Sorry to upset anyone. I only say "plans" casually i dont mean it in a casual way.

i'm hormonal, we're all hormonal....lets just all have a big hormonal hug and do the very 100% best we can, it's all we can do after all!!!:hugs:

Its hard to see emotion in typing isn't it - seeing how some things are 'meant' :D

We all big girls to know not to take anything to heart all the time its when people are saying "screw you" you know they pissed @ you :rofl:

Hormones should calm soon lol :D

This is my 4th pregnancy and with my first 3 pregnancies i did not smoke.. But due to a death of close family member i started smoking again... I was on 40 a day maybe more as the strain of everything got to me when i found out i ws pregnant this time i told my midwife i wanted some help with my midwife with my smoking i did stop for 6months but started back i smoke 5 a day well not everyday!!!!!! i shouldnt but i know how anyone that smokes feels... I asked for patches but doctors will not give you them whilst being pregnant as they say its defeating the object. To automatically stop like alot of ppl will advice u to do is the worst thing you can do as the stress that goes with it will cause more harm than enough xxxxxxxxxx I hope can cut down and maybe gradually cut down its so hard to quit it really is esp if you have been smoking for a long while xxxxxxxxxx some days i can go without can be weeks then ill have the odd one never more than 5 tho in that one day xxxxxxxxx wish you all the best xxxx Its not going be easy but you will get there xxxxxxxxxx if you need someone to talk about it then pm xxxx i posted a smoking thread up on another forum.. which was different than this and the posts back were not nice very nasty indeed i mean very very nasty you have had some really ensuring feedback from some lovely ladies on here and i hope there words and advice help you and any other ladies xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

i was one of the lucky ones who managed to stop at the drop of a hat, both times!! but i did however start back up again and am still currently smoking, granted its only when im working or drinking but those are the cigarettes tht are hard to cut out!!!

fantastic to those who managed to cut down during thier pregnancies!!! tht really is fantastic!!!!

and those who managed to stop a huge congratulations too!!!

everyone is different, there are hundreds of people who smoke, be it during pregnancy or not!!! all we can do is offer support! not force them to make a decision :hugs:

So you can't get patches when your pregnant? I was maybe thinking about using them, surely the nicotine replacement from patches can't be worse than what's in a cigarette.
Not sure now if I can go cold turkey. The good thing that will make it a bit easier is there are a few people at work just now who have just stopped so we can support eachother.

I tried the lights but was smoking way more so am currently using menthols which are the same strength as lights but they seem to be working better.

Don't know what's happened to Mommy2B?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->