SMP question. Can't find an answer on HMRC

2ndtimeluckyX

Reaction score
If I tell my employer I won't be returning to work after I have had the baby then do they still pay me my SMP or do I get my P45 when I finish and claim SMP elsewhere??

I'm not sure how it works if you tell them now, however if you tell them towards the end of your mat leave you don't have to pay back standard SMP (they claim most of it back from the government anyway). DO check your contract though and any leaflets you've had through from your company - if you get a more generous company package than standard SMP, then there might/might not be a clause in there about repaying part of that - varies company to company - hope that helps :)

My letter said that if I don't wish to return to work I need to give them my standard notice (in writing) and that it wouldn't affect my entitlement to SMP.

If you are entitled too smp and arnt going back then you get your full smp regardless.

Make it clear your handing your notice in for after your maternity leave though

Don't tell them!

You can't give 1 years notice on your job, the notice you give is contracted, they will end your employment and your SMP.

Take your maternity leave as normal, and hand in your notice as your leave is due to end. You don't have to pay basic SMP back.

What sue said above, you don't have to tell them now, with my company I need to let them know 3 months before I'm due back to work

X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->