So p*ssed off! People can be so rude!

Ugh I've been there. My entire family was awful when we told them we were naming our daughter Caoimhe. We did a gender reveal at my grandpas birthday and told them the name and they all sat there and told us we were being selfish, our kid would be ridiculed for life, we need to pick a new name or respell it, etc etc, they were so cruel I ended up sobbing all night. They never stopped either, they spent my entire pregnancy scoffing at the name, my grandfather wrote us letters trying to convince us not to use it and eventually tried to get us to pronounce it "Kayomee" like wtf is Kayomee?! They still make little comments about it and she's 2. But whatever, it's our daughters name and it's beautiful. This time I think we're gonna fuck with them and find some horrible foreign name and tell them it's the name we chose.

Anyway... Moral of the story is people are assholes about names and I'm sorry your mom is doing this. Parker is a fine name btw, I've heard it as a boys name and I also know a baby girl named Parker and I think it's super cute.

Everyone has opinions about names. And quite a lot of people hate their own names or were teased for them. I am an American married to a Japanese with a 2 yo son and one on the way. Because we are raising the children in Japan it was actually MY decision to choose Japanese names. About the only 'rule' my mom had was to pick something she could actually pronounce. I do have a girl's name picked out which is an old Japanese name but very easy for Americans to pronounce. The only problem is it sounds like saying 'let's die'. There is a chance a DD would get teased occasionally but I don't know of any kids even with common names who didn't get teased. But a grandmother shouldn't be your child's first bully. And honestly, I would say to her, "It's so good to know that my child's first bully is going to be you." I can almost guarentee that if she had only heard Parker as she was holding him and meeting him for the first time, she wouldn't have been so rude about it. That's pretty much why I choose to keep name choices between my DH and myself - people tend to keep their comments to themselves when the baby is actually on the outside. I am so sorry you had to experience that. And I can't give you advice on if you should still consider the name despite her reaction. But it IS your child and it IS your choice of names. But no matter what you name the child, you do need to make it explicitly clear to her that it is NOT ok for her to call your child a number or some random nickname just to avoid a name she thinks is weird. Best of luck to you!

Ugh I've been there. My entire family was awful when we told them we were naming our daughter Caoimhe. We did a gender reveal at my grandpas birthday and told them the name and they all sat there and told us we were being selfish, our kid would be ridiculed for life, we need to pick a new name or respell it, etc etc, they were so cruel I ended up sobbing all night. They never stopped either, they spent my entire pregnancy scoffing at the name, my grandfather wrote us letters trying to convince us not to use it and eventually tried to get us to pronounce it "Kayomee" like wtf is Kayomee?! They still make little comments about it and she's 2. But whatever, it's our daughters name and it's beautiful. This time I think we're gonna fuck with them and find some horrible foreign name and tell them it's the name we chose.

Anyway... Moral of the story is people are assholes about names and I'm sorry your mom is doing this. Parker is a fine name btw, I've heard it as a boys name and I also know a baby girl named Parker and I think it's super cute.

I think your little girls name is sweet - how is it pronounced?

i love caoimhe.. its pronounced Keeva isnt it??

we had this issue with 2nd DD shes called Nevaeh-Rose. we had plenty of people make sly comments or looks when we said it was our choice.. but it was exactly that! our choice. i love it and she suits it. although people generally just say oo thats unusual now that shes here when they ask x

Sorry to hear she ruined what should have been a fun moment!!

And honestly: Parker is a great name. I think it's strong and playful at the same time, which makes it good both for a child, and for when they grow up.

Every name -- every word in the English language actually, in my opinion -- has SOMETHING funny about it if you break it down enough.

School. School. School. School. I mean... what's with that? ;-)

Sounds like she was just being a Debbie Downer. I certainly wouldn't tell her any more names!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->