So sleepy not really feeding normal?

lovelylaura

3 little girls
Reaction score
I know this is my 3rd baby but it's the only one I've been able to BF and she is fab at it but she so sleepy she is going roughly 5/6 hours before feeding is that normal? She's not quite 24 hours yet lol but I just worry it's all a little out of my comfort zone. I know no one who has breast fed so I don't have anyone to ask.

What weight is your LO and how many weeks were you when she was born? I'm only asking because my DS was a really sleepy feeder who would go for the same length of time between feeds. He was premature and cs delivery so not alert at all and I had to strip him down to his nappy to wake him up enough to feed. Have you tried doing that as lots of skin-on-skin contact can help BFing. Also, if your LO was a good weight at birth then I'd not worry too much either.

The midwifes and HV always told me to wake LO after 3 hours for a feed but I found it impossible sometimes to stir him and he just wasn't interested. He was slow to regain his birth weight etc but I bf him for a year and he's still alive at almost 2.5 so I must have done alright in the end!

You'll probably find that she feeds more often as she becomes more alert - she's very new still. Congrats by the way!

My LO was 9lb 12, born t+1 and she was exactly the same. The midwife who did our breastfeeding seminar said this can be normal in the first 24 hours but the midwives at the hospital were really stressed about it. I know there are concerns about blood sugar and things, but since baby is waking for feeds I'd be tempted to see how it goes. I'm sure it will all pick up tomorrow! If you're worried though give the midwife a call or just wake her to feed more often.

My little guy is 9 days old today and in the hospital I used to strip him down to his nappy to feed. Once he is latched on though I'd wrap a blanket around him to keep him warm. I'd keep a little piece of wet cotton wool beside us and when he stopped feeding, I'd gently wash his face and that worked a treat too!

I was induced due to them thinking she was small but she was 7lb exactly so not that small but my labour was really quick. When she was born though she fed for almost 2hours straight away. She has just fed again for almost 2 hours so I'm guessing she's just going to make up for it when she's awake. Hopefully she'll start to settle into a better routine with it. Also my nipples are starting to get really sore I've got lanilosh cream is there anything else I can do to help it? Thank you all btw I've been doing lots of skin on skin. Will try cool cotton pads next time to wake her up a bit more too x

I only woke my son up to eat in the first two weeks until he regained his birthweight. He was born 8'5 and went down to 7'9 in the first 48 hrs so I was panicking a little bit. It was short term and worth it but others will say don't wake a baby:shrug:

A wet wipe, stripping him down or tickling the bottom of his feet worked for me. After two weeks I let him sleep as long as he liked.

I was induced due to them thinking she was small but she was 7lb exactly so not that small but my labour was really quick. When she was born though she fed for almost 2hours straight away. She has just fed again for almost 2 hours so I'm guessing she's just going to make up for it when she's awake. Hopefully she'll start to settle into a better routine with it. Also my nipples are starting to get really sore I've got lanilosh cream is there anything else I can do to help it? Thank you all btw I've been doing lots of skin on skin. Will try cool cotton pads next time to wake her up a bit more too x

Sorry to double post but for me, having air time after nursing was key. If I 'put my nipples away' wet it got more scabby.....cream those bad boys up but then make sure they dry. I wasn't and used a sports bra one day and then part of the surface of my nipple that was stabbed came off on the bra :wacko: you are doing great!

I blow on my daughters face or gently massage just beside her ear which is like her jaw bone - this starts her feeding again.
My nipples were soooo sore I was very close to giving up but then within days it cleared up and now isn't sore at all. I was told after feeding to rub milk on and leave it. I was also wearing a bra to bed but I stopped doing that and I think getting air to them helped.

My lo was very sleepy in the early days, we did stripping down to diaper, tickling, cold cloth, everything to keep him awake. We also always woke him up after 3 hours until he regained birth weight around 2 weeks old :)

Well I worried about nothing she has been awake all night wanting to feed and is still going now. My poor nipples!

Well I worried about nothing she has been awake all night wanting to feed and is still going now. My poor nipples!

:hugs: mine were so much better after two weeks. I just kept saying to myself 'soon I won't have to think about this, it will just be easy' and it is.....you are doing great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->