so so upset - with HV

Tezzy

Mum of 2 TTCAL
Reaction score
i went to the HV today for the first time in about 3 months to get rhys weighed (i havent been coz i work during the day but this week im off)

rhys hasnt put on much weight at all... only about 1 1/2lbs in 3 months. he eats 3 meals a day plus bottles during day and night. so anyway his weight is now critical apparently, the HV then went on to accuse me of not feeding him! basically she called me a shit mum and told me to come back in two weeks and if theres no improvement she will refer him to the hospital.

now rhys looks fine and healthy to me, always happy and laughing. yes he is skinny but he is very very long for his age (he fits perfect in 6-9months and we'll have to change to 9-12months soon)

i just dont know what to do, i feed him whenever he is hungry and when hes full he just wont eat! the HV has made me feel like im not doing the best by Rhys but i just dont know what else i can do? surely if hes not hungry then he doesnt need feeding? i cant force him to eat!

has anybody else ever had a child that wont put on weight? what do i do? what will he be refered the hospital for?

im such a shit mum

ohh how pathetic! silly cow!
like you said he is tall so i would not worry atall - you know best there is nothing you are doing wrong - it was the opposit with Harley he was well over weight one hv was crap and told me he is "way to over weight, and you can see it even by looking at him"
but my normal hv said it is nothing to worry about and he is fine yes he is well over weight but nothing to worry about all babies are different.

dont let it bother you hun - HV's - you needs em??

your not a shit mum!!!
HV go by the average weight of a baby im sure its in that year group the take a bundle of weights and average it out. Both my girls have always been underweight according to them and its not because i dont feed them its just because of the charts the HV go by. Try not to worry too much hun :hugs: If however they do reffer him to the hospital all the hospital will do is measure him take his weight and ask you what he eats in an average day, he might have to go 2 or 3 times but their wont be anything else they will do to him. (only reason i know this is because i had to go trhough all this with both Adele and colby with Adele it was diffirent though cos she was prem and they had to keep a check on her weight but with colby it was only because her length didnt match with her weight and they kept telling me she was shrinking :dohh: but its all ok now and i dont even take her to get weighed i just have to look at her clothes to know she is growing nicely :)

good luck hun
xxxxx

Oh tell her to bollocks!!!!
the majority of them talk a load of shit!!!

How much does he weigh hun?

I have just had Jack weighed and he has only put on 2LB or so since Xmas and they said that was fine

Aww hun .. dont take any notice of her .. you arent a shit mum at all and they should NOT have ever said or hinted that you were. Every baby is different and as long as he is happy and healthy then i dont think you have got anything to worry about :hugs:

he is 6 months old and he weighs 14lb and a bit when he was 3 months old he weighed 13lb

Terrie i get deja vu reading your post, i had a similar problem with Gabriel, he sat on 50th line for ages then around 3-4 months his weight dropped significantly, in fact he went right down to 9th line. The hv made a huge fuss and refferd us to hospiital, consultant went oh he's just tall and skiny (lenght on 97th line) but he was concerned about his eczema (GP was useless everytime we went with that). We had to back a few times mainly for that, and he was referred to see dietician. OH took him to see her thankfully 'cos she wss a total cow and he said i'd have smacked her one.

We were told to feed him up woth burgers, chips, put loads of butter and cheese in his mash, not to give him fruit, give him ice cream with loads of cream on. She said fead him loads of fattening food then worry about fruit/yog etc when he's fat. She also had the nerve to say that because i worked full time that i didn't have time to cook proper meals for him.

When we moved i was really worried that we would have the same problem, but hv just said he's tall and skinny, not to worry.

He now sees paed every 3-6 months due to allergies and gets weighed every time, and they're not concerned.

He currently weighs 2stone 10lb and he's 5. When he's nakie, u can count his ribs, but fil was same as was dh.

Sorry this post is a long rant but these ppl make me sick.

If u want to chat/rant/let of steam, pm me and i'll give u my msn.:hugs::hugs::hugs: terrie as i say been there and its not pleasant.

Tell the stupid bitch bollocks!

Vicky had this problem with kacy bless her she's only a little slip of a thing ... her HV told her to feet her fat basically and vicky said no! (good or her i say!)
Your not a bad mum, these HV's think there summat there not, half of em ain't got kids and talk shit .. every bit of knowledge they get is from a bloody book doled out by the NHS ... bet that was written by some dozy tart with no kids awell!

Hun take no notice, as long as he is eating and drinking his milk then you have nothing to worry about ....

Grrrrrr fooking HATE MW and HV's interfearing battle axes most of em!!

(((((((HUGS))))))))

Aw hun, your not a shit mum please dont take it that way. I think its just standard procedure if a baby isnt putting on much weight they have to just check it out to make sure they are getting enough and if there is possibly anything wrong. Sounds like you just dont have the most tactfull HV on the planet!

Im sure its not your fault so dont think like that, your OH is a skinny thing so Rhys has prob just inhereted his genes but tis worth just getting things looked into. :hugs:

I've just checked Jacks book and he was 14.2 when he was 6 months
so i wouldn't worry at all
Jack is very slight compared to what Emily was
I think that sometimes H.V's forget that all babies are differant and forget to take parents builds in to account

Don't take it personally hun as i think they have targets to meet with how many mums they can make cry!!!

he is 6 months old and he weighs 14lb and a bit when he was 3 months old he weighed 13lb

Frankie is a very similar size, she weighed 13lb12 at five months. My HV has said not to worry! My Friend's baby is three weeks younger than Frankie now weighs 19lb! You start to worry about all sorts if there is the slightest suggestion there may be a problem! I am already concerned that Frankie doesn't have enough milk during the day! But if babies and children are hungry, they will eat! My little lad is tall with not and ounce of fat on him, so bony, but he eats as much as I do, and you've seen me eat! Try to put it to the back of your mind and enjoy Rhys for what he is, happy and healthy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->