So stressed out with my parents :(

Jlh05

Mum to Pollyanna
Reaction score
I'm 9 weeks and my partner of 1 year and I are very excited. I have 3 yr old daughter from previous relationship, her father rarely see her. My partner adore my daughter same as she do for him. I've decided the massive step change for my life is to move from London to Manchester, my partner got offered better job career there than here and we accepted and we are moving in the next 2 weeks which we are extremely excited about. But my parents are here, their friends here, work and their whole life based here. They are very unhappy with my decision and believe they will never see their granddaughter. I have reassure them we can come and visit 2 time a month and frequently FaceTime. But I get called names by them. Making out im selfish person for doing it to them when I'm trying to make my life better as well for my daughter who meant the world to me! They're dragging me down, stressed me out. Making me feel unhappy. I'm crying as I'm writing this. I'm torn by them. I love them and have always been close with them but I need a new life of my own, not living in their life anymore :( rant over...
Had anyone here been through this before? Relationship with parents improved as they accept it?

Sorry you are going through this. No experience but I think you have to do what is right for you. Hope they settle down soon and can be happy for you.

No experience in this myself. But you aren't a child and you do what makes YOU happy. It's your life and you do what's best for your own little family. Whatever your decision your parents should support you whether they like it or not. At the end of the day, you're moving for a better life for yourself and your daughter.. Which your parents should be proud of. You can visit them and they can visit you. There's FaceTime and Skype to keep in touch in between. Don't ever let them being you down, and make you feel like you shouldn't go. You've said yourself they're making you unhappy... All the more reason to go.

You do need to tell them how they are making you feel though as it isn't fair on yourself or your daughter. In time they will accept your move, they'll have no choice but to. And as long as you keep in touch like you promise then your relationship should stay good. :hugs:

Sorry to hear your having a difficult time :hugs:

Your an adult and should make your own choices in life, your parents should be proud that your happy and making a good life for your daughter and baby.

I'm sure deep down they will be happy as long as you are, they are likely to be a little scared that you won't be around as much but hopefully they will come to terms with it soon enough.

Stay strong and remember all the positive, wonderful things to come when you settle in Manchester. X

I'm so sorry they're being self-centered. As someone who has finally learned to stand up for herself against a manipulative parent, I can say that I wish I had always just gone ahead and did what I wanted without obsessing about my family's negativity. In the end, you can only make you happy.

They should be supporting you. Also, name-calling is abusive. I know it hurts and is distracting, but focus on your growing family and do what's right for you, your children and partner. Your parents are adults and responsible for managing their own feelings. You said you're excited and happy - focus on that. Congratulations on all of these good things ahead!

Your life not theirs.
Do what makes you happy. My parents live 5 hours away we visit once every 2 or so months for the weekend and over Christmas we are around for about 2 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->