So tired of being soaked!

northern_me

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on overactive letdown? Baby was 3 weeks Friday and I'm just so fed up. We spent the first week and a half trying to figure out why she was coming off the breast screaming but I've figured out she's choking on milk. So now I have to hand express all the forcefulness out which works out to be about 1oz-1.5oz when I spray it into a bottle. The whole time she's screaming for milk. Then, as I'm feeding on one side I'm spraying from the other. I put a towel or blanket in my bra but I had to change every bit of sleep clothes I had on twice last night and I ended up with a big puddle of sprayed milk on the sheets. I'm so fed up and can't go on like this. I feel like I'm trapped in my house because there is no way I can ever do this in public.

I use 2 breast pads in each side of my bra at night as I seem to leak more then. I'm usually fine with 1 in each side during the day. I make sure I have spares in my changing bag when I go out though.

Have you tried different positions to help lo cope with the letdown? Such as leaning back etc?

https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

It won't be like this forever, so you will get out of the house, please believe me. If your baby can be encouraged to feed more frequently there will be less milk built up and so it will choke her less. The idea is to have as little engorgement as possible. I also second feeding in a leaned back position.

It'll pass soon honestly. I was like this with all three of mine. I'd end up soaked at every feed and night time was a nightmare. It does get better. I still wear a bra and breast pads at night but no more waking up soaking.
Can you try to take it as a good sign that your body is producing lots of milk? Xx

Thanks ladies. Tried feeding her laid back and she was fine on my left side but wouldn't latch that way on the right. For some reason she will only latch on the right side in football hold.

A sleeping bra and breast pads are a must for me for overnight (and I also put a waterproof bad under the sheets to protect the mattress). During the day, breast pads again, and while it does help to express some before baby latches, be careful not to do too much or you'll end up with oversupply issues and that could just make the let down worse.

You can also just apply counter pressure to your boobs, this is especially helpful for keeping the 'non feeding boob' from spraying all over. Just use the palm of your hand to push back (like, into your chest) when you feel let down starting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->