So upset - Name drama

I think if your naming your baby after someone it should be someone go you look up to or was important in your life. And sound like that isn't your MIL , and if she's being like this she doesn't deserve it

Just turn around to your MIL and say, "you named your children, now let me name mine!" If she wants to name a baby tell her to go and get Preggo again.

That is very very wrong of her!
Not her place to tell you at all x

I think it's better to not tell anyone the name until after baby is born (except the closest of people to you) or when you have a definite name picked just say THIS is her/his name, make no room for comments. =)

My LO is not named after anybody, mainly because I had two names I loved and wanted to use them both! Her middle name has no connection to anybody. I don't really understand when people think they HAVE to name their kid after somebody, bit of originality!

Part of the reason I was so upset is because we chose Lynn actually, which was my Aunt's middle name. We lost her very early to Lymphoma and aside from my parents, she was the closest to my sister and I. So it was beyond devastating when we lost her a 2 years ago. She never got meet my son. I found out I was pregnant 2 weeks after she passed.

Anyways, I couldn't even begin to explain this is the meaning behind Lynn because I really would have totally melted down.

This is beautiful. Stick to your guns and keep Lynn, what lovely reasoning. Screw your MIL!

Your MIL had her opportunity to name her own children what ever she wished. If she had pressures from her own family members that she gave into when naming her children than that is her problem.

Did you see this coming? This is my fear. What you have described is a look into my future. When planning my wedding my MIL said this "...This is my wedding too..."

I fear she is going to be one overbearing Nana.

This is your (you and Hubby). Lynn is beautiful. Lynn is a name honouring someone who once meant the world to you. You should not be bullied into anything but happiness and confidence in the name you have chosen.

I think the name Katherine may now have a negative reflection.

Your MIL had her opportunity to name her own children what ever she wished. If she had pressures from her own family members that she gave into when naming her children than that is her problem.

Did you see this coming? This is my fear. What you have described is a look into my future. When planning my wedding my MIL said this "...This is my wedding too..."

This is your (you and Hubby). Lynn is beautiful. Lynn is a name honouring someone who once meant the world to you. You should not be bullied into anything but happiness and confidence in the name you have chosen.

she said what :dohh:

I would of laughed in her face

she said what :dohh:

I would of laughed in her face

Oh she said it hahaha

When I was little I remember asking how my parents chose my name, it was just a name they liked and not chosen for any special reason.

Imagine your beautiful little girl one day asking how you chose her name and you telling her "Well grandma had a hissy fit when we told her what we WANTED to call you and insisted we name you after her, so we did!" lol

My name is Lynda and I love when my friends call me Lyn, beautiful name, stupid old woman!!

When I was little I remember asking how my parents chose my name, it was just a name they liked and not chosen for any special reason.

Imagine your beautiful little girl one day asking how you chose her name and you telling her "Well grandma had a hissy fit when we told her what we WANTED to call you and insisted we name you after her, so we did!" lol

My name is Lynda and I love when my friends call me Lyn, beautiful name, stupid old woman!!

haha that is a great way to put it!

:hugs2:

I went through something similar when I was pregnant with my daughter . My MIL had a huge hissy fit when she found out we were giving my daughter the middle name Gloria after my mother who passed away when I was 18 . She said a bunch of horrible things to my husband , went on about how it wasn't fair and it was her last chance to have a grandchild named after her and how she threw me a baby shower so somehow I owed it to her .... Didn't talk to her for weeks after . Even to this day she is pissy about it and says we could have put her name in there too :roll: When we had our son , we gave him two middle names . Roy after my husbands father who passed away and Jeff after his older brother who also has passed away . This baby is a boy and we will be giving him the middle name Daniel after my father , who we are very close with and has been a huge supporter of us and very involved in our children's lives , and I just know she's going to have a fit over it .

She put so much pressure on my BIL when they were pregnant with their daughter to name her after her they didn't give her a middle name at all , lol .

Stick to your guns , name your daughter what you want and what is important to you .

So annoying, sorry you had to go through that, on Mother's Day when it was your day as well. Do not let anyone bring you down.

Thanks ladies! It's been a few weeks since the big blow up (on mother's day no less!). I've kept my distance quite a bit so I think I've made my point.

This type of story makes me sort of relieved not to have in-laws ( they both died)

We have a very strict rule not to choose ANY name that exists within our large family already. With 12 cousins, 3 siblings and umpteen aunties and uncles on my side this is a challenge but hubby's brother has 8 kids and his cousin has 11!

We liked Jane as a middle name for this baby but my sisters middle name is Jane and when we mentioned it she was all 'oh just like me woohoo' so we've changed our minds and have decided to go for a name which no one in the whole family has.

Ugh, I feel so bad for you to have to put up with that, especially on Mother's Day. You definitely did the right thing though in standing up for yourself, and like PPs have said, it might end up being a good thing because she'll get off your back.

My own Mom is all "you have to pick a family name" which actually translates to "You have to pick a family name from MY side of the family". One of these days, I think I'll say, okay-I picked a family name! And then have it be my Paternal Grandmother or something :)

I like Lynn as well. Its such a pretty name.

Know this is an older post, but just had to say I laughed myself silly at above quote!:) can totally relate - my mom is the same way... So is DH's - and both passive agressively pushy, which is exactly why I've ended up on this board - to find suggestions for a baby girl name that's NOT from either side of the fam. :haha:

OP, that's a lovely name you've chosen! I'm a Katherine (kate) and know about 36275437727 of them so always disliked how popular/common it was- never met a Lynn, but it is just so classy and beautiful!! Love it! Sorry to hear about melodramatic MIL, sounds like you firmly and gracefully handled that uncomfortable situation! Ah families....what can you do :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->