Social Network Warning - PLEASE READ!

J

Jade--x

Im not posting this as a debate or anything like that, my friends been through something terrible very recently involving her photos being stolen of her son, and then being put on paedophiles sites.

I then found this online that I'd never seen before and had no idea this is just something they do and not an isolated incident

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/paedophiles-stealing-parents-facebook-pictures-1982052

So thought I'd make sure to bring it to other parents attention in case like me you haven't seen it to just triple check all privacy settings if you do use Facebook or other social networks to post photos and if you have older children that have their own to check theirs too, as much as they might not like it. My best advice would be to put any photos of your LO into folders and set the privacy to just the certain people you want to share them with that you trust completely. I don't post photos of my LOs on Facebook and this has just reminded me exactly why :/

They're always going to find sick ways to find them the only thing we can do is make it as hard as possible for them to do it. I hope no one else has to go through what my friend has she's mortified :(

To be perfectly honset it amazes me that people still don't realise that if they don't want things on the Internet the only option of keeping them 100% private is not to upload in the first place :shrug:

I just don't see this as news, people should know this, I can't understand why people are so naive

To be perfectly honset it amazes me that people still don't realise that if they don't want things on the Internet the only option of keeping them 100% private is not to upload in the first place :shrug:

I just don't see this as news, people should know this, I can't understand why people are so naive

I agree to be honest, I'm deleting all my social networking accounts today, not because of this mind I don't upload my LOs pics, but because my photos of myself have been stolen and are being used to catfish people online. I've just come to the conclusion social networking just isn't worth the hassle it causes, and it does more damage than it will good thanks to the idiots who abuse it.

Absolutely terrible :nope:. I think a lot of people are aware but you just don't expect it to happen to you. This is why on twitter and anything else of mine that's open for anyone to see I just don't post personal photos anymore, it's such a shame.

My profile is pretty locked down anyway but surely normal pictures of kids are not what sickos want anyway? They could flick through a NEXT catalogue and see kids.

My profile is pretty locked down anyway but surely normal pictures of kids are not what sickos want anyway? They could flick through a NEXT catalogue and see kids.

This. Unless you're uploading pics of kids in the bath or something :shrug:

I've thought about taking some pics of my lo off my fb, but I have loads of albums with hundreds of pictures in and not sure where to put them all? I have tried printing the good ones off at Boots but it took forever so gave up.

Would I have to transfer each pic individually to my laptop?

I think photobucket will lift them by album from fb

It's not only paedos, there is also the risk of sick minded people using other people's photos including photos of their children and pretending they are their own. This is why I no longer post pics of my kids anywhere online even if I have really strict privacy settings applied. I've had my own pictures stolen before on several occasions the most bizarre one was a pic I posted on a small, closed yahoo group and a picture I deleted, ended up being used by a transsexual (male to female) on a matrimonial site. I have no idea how they got hold of the picture and it's a site that people we know visit so I felt a little bit creeped out and violated. I did report it to the site admins and they didn't believe me so wouldn't take down the picture :( xx

A bit different, but I was on hospital once when DD was 6 months old. As I was BF she came in for a feed one afternoon. I took a photo of her all tucked up in my hospital bed as it was identical to one I had as her as a new born.

I had quite strict privacy settings but put it as my profile picture.

About a year ago one of my friends called me and got me to log on her Facebook. One of her friends had 'liked' a picture of one of these 'One like=one prayer for this baby fighting cancer'.

The photo was of my daughter in the hospital. Fair enough she had no hair and looked tired and crabbit, but she definitely didn't look like a child with cancer.

It was horrible, the photo had about 16k like and there were comments like 'poor baby, I hope she doesn't die'. And 'RIP angel, fly free'.

I reported it but it took about a month to get it taken down and in that time it went up to about 30k 'likes'.

I do think social media has it's benefits. Certainly for myself, my Dad lives in China and it's another way we can chat. But you have to play it so carefully.

A bit different, but I was on hospital once when DD was 6 months old. As I was BF she came in for a feed one afternoon. I took a photo of her all tucked up in my hospital bed as it was identical to one I had as her as a new born.

About a year ago one of my friends called me and got me to log on her Facebook. One of her friends had 'liked' a picture of one of these 'One like=one prayer for this baby fighting cancer'.

The photo was of my daughter in the hospital. Fair enough she had no hair and looked tired and crabbit, but she definitely didn't look like a child with cancer.

It was horrible, the photo had about 16k like and there were comments like 'poor baby, I hope she doesn't die'. And 'RIP angel, fly free'.

I reported it but it took about a month to get it taken down and in that time it went up to about 30k 'likes'.

I do think social media has it's benefits. Certainly for myself, my Dad lives in China and it's another way we can chat. But you have to play it so carefully.

wtf! :O I'm sorry you had to put up with that.

wtf! :O I'm sorry you had to put up with that.

It was really horrible. Even though I knew she was fine, and that the photo was a couple of years old it was awful seeing them say things like 'RIP' to my baby. And then there were the obvious trolls, with some vile comments.

It was probably a good wake up call for myself and my friends though!

Oh my goodness, how awful :(.

That's awful! So sorry hun :(

There's some right looneys on the internet, my pictures have been stolen a few times of myself which is why I've always been careful of my LOs, and I've had them contact me and my friends list including my family giving me grief calling me a fake using their pictures.. And recently my photos have been used on dating and swinging sites..Apparently I have a boyfriend I didn't know about and we're adventurous swingers looking for other couples, I'm a lesbian, and god knows what else they included on them :ROFL:. I found out who was responsible for that though as the idiot was claiming we were together and used his own photos and I knew him which was creepy as hell. All he had to say about it was he was 'messing around' and then I started to find out what he'd been doing with these fake profiles pretending to be me and it just got more twisted, but that's another story.

I agree they can be a great thing, I have family all around the world I've been able to reconnect with that I haven't seen since I was a toddler, and I make a lot of foreign friends when on holiday I stay in contact with through it, but way too many people abuse it and its just not possible to police it properly, no matter how safe you set your settings :/

I also think they should teach about things like this in schools, as well as internet predators that are going to contact them etc. As a topic in PSHE, which they've still never done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->