solids AFTER milk??

LoveMyBaby786

Reaction score
Ive just been googling and everywhere states to give milk first then solids! Call me thick but i did not know this and have been giving solids before her milk!

Is this really wrong? The health visitor didnt tell me anything about this and i dont remember which way around i did it with my son.

Ive been doing solids everyday for a few weeks now should i stop and do milk first then solids or just carry on?

She basically still has a lot of breast milk even after her solids. So example i give baby porridge for breakfast then not even 30 minutes later she will want some milk. I'm only on 2 'meals' a day with her (not big meals). She still feeds around 4 or 5 times in the day and 2 or 3 timed at night.

Help!

I always do solids before milk! To me it doesn't make sense to do it after as they won't be hungry and generally will not be interested in food. I try and do it an hour or so before she is due a bottle so she won't be starving but hungry enough to give things a try.

I always offered milk first and waited around an hour to give solids. At your lo's age the amount of solids she will eat won't meet her needs nutritionally. Theres so much goodness in milk compared to some veggies etc. You will find over time the amount of food eaten will pick up but your mantra should be "food before 1 is just for fun".

I honestly didn't pay any attention to when I offered solids. We were still breastfeeding on demand and we did BLW, so I nursed her whenever she wanted to nurse and I offered her solids whenever we ate.

The concern is that they don't fill up on solids and drop too much milk, since it's supposed to be their main source of nutrition until they're one. If she's still wanting milk shortly after she eats and doesn't seem to be dropping feeds then I wouldn't worry about it. My LO still nursed constantly and didn't really eat much of anything so it was a non-issue for us.

When I started weaning my baby I offered solids 1 hour after her lunch time bottle.Then after a few weeks I slowly moved the food to during the bottle then before it. Then I've gradually offered more food she doesn't have any milk at lunch now ive also added 2 further meals the same way shes 8 months now

Thank you ladies! Yes i totally agree milk is best before 1. She eats the most solids at breakfast and the rest of the day is just finger foods like toast so her milk feeds are still the same as they were a month ago :)

Do whatever works for you. But yes, if you see her dramatically dropping her milk feeds before, maybe 9 months, then yes, I'd start offering milk first. It's the best thing, so you want to make sure she gets as much of it as she can while she's growing and doing all this development. Comparatively solid food (especially baby porridge) has much less nutritional value, so more milk is better. But if the amount she's taking is the same, then I wouldn't worry now if that works better for you.

I always did bottle then solids 1.5 hours later.
Worked well for us but I agree with pp do what works and for you ensuring she still gets enough milk too.

Do whatever works for you. But yes, if you see her dramatically dropping her milk feeds before, maybe 9 months, then yes, I'd start offering milk first. It's the best thing, so you want to make sure she gets as much of it as she can while she's growing and doing all this development. Comparatively solid food (especially baby porridge) has much less nutritional value, so more milk is better. But if the amount she's taking is the same, then I wouldn't worry now if that works better for you.

I agree with this. Especially as for some babies 1 hour after milk is also the same time as one hour before :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->