Solids before 4 months.

My hv never did any calculations - even when she was putting on weight rapidly. Just told me her intake was fine. At 14wks she was taking around 35oz and was told it was just right. It works out at 5x 7oz bottles per day which sounds totally average for that age.

My hv never did any calculations - even when she was putting on weight rapidly. Just told me her intake was fine. At 14wks she was taking around 35oz and was told it was just right. It works out at 5x 7oz bottles per day which sounds totally average for that age.

hmmm my baby is the same age and will have max 28 oz and at least 20 oz a day on hungry baby and my GP thought that was a lot.

i dont know how much he weighs until tomorrow, will work it out then.

My LO is 14 weeks and on 7-8oz bottles every 2 and a half hours, he's stopped STTN which I read is a sign hes ready to be weaned, he tries to chew the bottle teat, is always trying to nibble his hands and watches me eating and makes chewing motions himself. I am not going to make it to 6months I'm struggling to even make it to 17weeks! My HV advises weaning after 17 weeks. All my generation were weaned at 3 months and I dont know anyone with chronic diarhoea, IBS etc....! Much like I dont know anyone who got ill from our mums pre-making bottles back when I was a baby. It's all personal choice and I don't think people should be made to feel bad if they choose to feed their baby a bit early. Its a wonder how anyone coped without guidelines! My nan was feeding my mum from about 8 weeks shes fit as a fiddle!

It's funny how we all interpret our babies' signs to mean something different. I'm a first time mom too and it's overwhelming trying to understand what all these different things mean. I interpret frequent feeding as being a growth spurt. When my baby stopped STTN I didn't attribute it to needing to be weaned, I was anticipating the 4 month sleep regression. My baby is chewing on everything in sight, but I don't think he needs to be weaned, it's just because he's teething. I'm glad there's nothing wrong with me because of being FF or weaned early but now that there is so much information we can make better choices. "What was good enough back then is good enough for me now" is not sufficient evidence for me to make the same decisions that my mother made. But c'est la vie, we all make our own choices. My motto is if I know better I do better.

My LO is 14 weeks and on 7-8oz bottles every 2 and a half hours, he's stopped STTN which I read is a sign hes ready to be weaned, he tries to chew the bottle teat, is always trying to nibble his hands and watches me eating and makes chewing motions himself. I am not going to make it to 6months I'm struggling to even make it to 17weeks! My HV advises weaning after 17 weeks. All my generation were weaned at 3 months and I dont know anyone with chronic diarhoea, IBS etc....! Much like I dont know anyone who got ill from our mums pre-making bottles back when I was a baby. It's all personal choice and I don't think people should be made to feel bad if they choose to feed their baby a bit early. Its a wonder how anyone coped without guidelines! My nan was feeding my mum from about 8 weeks shes fit as a fiddle!

It's funny how we all interpret our babies' signs to mean something different. I'm a first time mom too and it's overwhelming trying to understand what all these different things mean. I interpret frequent feeding as being a growth spurt. When my baby stopped STTN I didn't attribute it to needing to be weaned, I was anticipating the 4 month sleep regression. My baby is chewing on everything in sight, but I don't think he needs to be weaned, it's just because he's teething. I'm glad there's nothing wrong with me because of being FF or weaned early but now that there is so much information we can make better choices. "What was good enough back then is good enough for me now" is not sufficient evidence for me to make the same decisions that my mother made. But c'est la vie, we all make our own choices. My motto is if I know better I do better.

Excellent post :thumbup:

At the end of the day we all decide whats best for our own children like peoples choices to breastfeed or FF. We all make what we think are the right choices for our LO's like how I think it's the right choice to TW. If you don't think theres good enough evidence to wean early that's your prerogative but don't judge me for going with what I choose to do by sticking to my local guidelines and knowing my baby!

But your 'local guidelines' as you say are that your friend weaned at 6 weeks...Guidelines are 6 months. A baby needs most of its nutrition from milk in the first year and certainly no less than 20 oz of milk between 6-12 months. Anything less impeeds brain development, as the food they are eating is not providing enough iron.

But your 'local guidelines' as you say are that your friend weaned at 6 weeks...Guidelines are 6 months. A baby needs most of its nutrition from milk in the first year and certainly no less than 20 oz of milk between 6-12 months. Anything less impeeds brain development, as the food they are eating is not providing enough iron.

I did not say my friend followed the local guidelines!

Surely there really is no such thing as "local" guidelines just whatever country your in, just because some HV's or GP's arent upto date with things doesnt change what the ACTUAL guidelines on weaning are.

I also dont believe that just because a baby will eat solids (opens their mouth for spoon etc) means that they are ready, just my opinion.

People that want to wean early are going to wean early and the same for people that are going to wean at 6 months, thats that i dont think a thread is going to change anyones mind!

It's a wonder how the human race survived without guidelines!!! I go on the advice from my GP and HV no BLWs are gonna try and make me feel guilty for not waiting til 6 months! Be interesting to see whether LOs generation has a decrease in eczema, IBS etc! So yeah you enjoy your healthy baby that won't have any problem due to late weaning whilst mine will be crippled with em! Cos that's the message I seem to be getting from everyone against TW!!!!

Its nothing to do with TW or BLW, its early weaning?

Yeah it's nothing to do with different weaning styles :shrug:

Regardless of TW and BLw it's still 6 months however at 6 months you don't NEED to TW as most babies can generally pick up food and feed themselves but some parents will choose to TW which is fine ;)

when you wean early like we had to Ellie was prem and weaned at 17 weeks corrected 7 weeks actual, you have to weigh up the pros and cons, Ellie was on constant fortnightly blood transfusions and very sleepy and test showed that her body virtually had no iron left and we had to wean early to get the iron back up and get her off the transfusions. We do understand that in later like she MIGHT have allergies or health problems but at least she will be alive xxx

Regardless of TW and BLw it's still 6 months however at 6 months you don't NEED to TW as most babies can generally pick up food and feed themselves but some parents will choose to TW which is fine ;)

some people do NEED to TW like us when Ellie was weaned so early and also she has cerebal palsy so she cant yet get all her food to her mouth herself its sometimes ends up in her ear or eye :haha: poor little sausage so even if we could have waited to 6month we would have had to TW xx

some people do NEED to TW like us when Ellie was weaned so early and also she has cerebal palsy so she cant yet get all her food to her mouth herself its sometimes ends up in her ear or eye :haha: poor little sausage so even if we could have waited to 6month we would have had to TW xx

What's what I mean.

You don't need to TW MOST babies at 6 months but I totally understand your reasons for deciding how and when you weaned hun as it was due to medical reasons ;)

At 6 months a lot of babies are developmentally ready to feed themselves

What's what I mean.

You don't need to TW MOST babies at 6 months but I totally understand your reasons for deciding how and when you weaned hun as it was due to medical reasons ;)

At 6 months a lot of babies are developmentally ready to feed themselves

yeah def its amazing how they can feed themselves at 6 month old, sometimes before they seem to young dont they lol, but yeah everyday is a struggle with Ellie so we are happy to have her here and be able to TW her hopefully one day she will have enough coordination to get things in her mouth xx

In reply to the OP - can't really understand why you'd want to wean early unless there were good medical reasons for it.

It's a wonder how the human race survived without guidelines!!! I go on the advice from my GP and HV no BLWs are gonna try and make me feel guilty for not waiting til 6 months! Be interesting to see whether LOs generation has a decrease in eczema, IBS etc! So yeah you enjoy your healthy baby that won't have any problem due to late weaning whilst mine will be crippled with em! Cos that's the message I seem to be getting from everyone against TW!!!!

First of all, I'm not a BLW. Secondly, weaning at 6wks is not the definition of TW. If you're not sure what these terms mean then ask, that's why we're here on the forums, to learn and understand things we don't know. The issue being discussed on this thread is early weaning, which is what you're proposing to do. Maybe talk to your pediatrician about what the WHO organization guidelines are for weaning and see if he's ever heard of them. If he hasn't that may be a cause for concern because it's a widely accepted concensus about what the guidelines are, and I've never heard of "local" guidelines.

I love my mom to bits. However, the way she did things back when I was born were different. There wasn't much information available back then. She didn't have access to books, there was no internet, there were no support groups. So she did things the way my grandmother did. That's really outdated information and my mother accepts that things are different now and respects my wishes to research before I make decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->