Some advice please

Teri7489

Proud mummy
Reaction score
I'm only 22 weeks but thinking ahead so I can prepare.

I've had to come off a few medications for chronic (+severe) migraines as they aren't safe for baby. I've had a number of migraines since which cause blindness and been ill for days. Thing is, I want to bf as I did for a short time with dd and 14 months with ds.

As I will have lasted 9 months without medication, should I just push for a few months after?

What would you do?

Most medications pass more easily through the placenta than they do in to breastmilk. Not all medications mean you can’t breastfeed.

This might be a useful source of information https://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/wp-content/dibm/BFN Drugs in Breastmilk Info Poster 2.pdf

https://breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/wp-content/dibm/migraine and breastfeeding.pdf

You also need to consider not just how unpleasant it is to have debilitating migraine but also whether you will have support to look after the baby while you are so ill.

There are also risks associated with not breastfeeding and it’s up to you to weight that against the medication risks (which unfortunately might not be known). There are options like breastfeeding when you are well but pumping and dumping while on medication, but it would be a shame, and an awful lot of hard work to do this if it wasnt actually necessary!

Last edited:
Medications when taken in pregnancy often have a different effect on the baby than they do when breastfeeding so the first point of call would be the GP, to ask how safe the medication you usually take is for breastfeeding mothers. I think you're putting alot of pressure on yourself to push through something that may be very debilitating for you with a newborn. You could also ask the GP what medication you could take alternatively during breastfeeding that is safe or safer to use, which will put your mind at ease and hopefully your migraines, as well as enabling you to feed for as long as you wish, rather than being forced to stop because you are suffering badly. Good luck and congratulations on your pregnancy

Thanks you.

Unfortunately there isn't any alternative which works so it's a choice of taking them or not. From the information I have, same amounts of the medicine pass through BM so baby would be getting some and although no complications have ever been reported, I don't want my baby having any potential risk from them. Still got time to think! Thanks again x

oh, you poor girl. One of my best friends has migraine and she drinks often yarrow tea. I am not completely sure what is th effect from the herb but you should check for more information. Actually, my friend visits regularly a psychologist. There is a believe that sexual energy is transferred into the head or sth like that I am not sure about that also. Both methods help her a lot. <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->