some help please....

baby D

Joshua and Amelia x
Reaction score
hello ladies - well i have a few concerns that are niggling me and as my Midwife cancelled our visit for the second time this week (not good being as it's only tuesday) due to the snow, i thought maybe you guys may be able to help offer thoughts/advice......

Little Amelia is 13 days old and i'm worried about her milk/poos/tummy.

When she was born we gave her SMA but she always seemed to be cranky after a feed and VERY windy in her bottom - going to the toilet also seemed to upset her and she would wake crying.....we changed her milk to Aptimal and while she has settled much better during the day (angel child) she still seems to be having the above problem at night - also. her 'poo' is so runny (sorry) you can literally hear her 'go' as it sounds like she has awful wind/diahrrea - is this normal? It is like water, but greenish/yellowish with what looks like little pips in it - but it has next to no consistency atall - yet she seems to really strain when she poos? I can also hear her little tummy turning over and over when i am feeding her and she often stiffens out like it is hurting her?

One more thing, during the day she sleeps really well between feeds and has little awake periods where she is really contented - a happy little bundle - when she gets sleepy i can lay her in her moses basket and she will happily nod off to sleep on her own - but at night she will not settle to sleep on her own between feeds and crys out alot - it can take two hrs after a feed to get her back to sleep? how can i settle her into a better night-time pattern? I have tried to make the distinction between night and day by having her basket downstairs where it is light and noisy during the day and she sleeps fine - but night time when it is dark and quiet and we are upstairs, she seems harder to settle and wakes a lot more - not due to hunger, normally because she has/needs to poo......it really does upset her - i think it might hurt her tummy?

Sorry girls i have ranted on a bit - but am feeling really down, like i am a bad mummy as i don't know how to calm/settle her at night and can't work out what is wrong - i'm worried i am doing something wrong that is upsetting her?

Thank you for reading - it is very long :hugs:

Hi hon.Ok firstly you are not a bad mummy.Being a new mum is overwhelming at first for everyone!!
Ok,I was always told that its normal for babies to strain,go red in the face and even cry when they poo.And at first,yep,baby poo is quite runny because theyre only having milk and not solids.If youre still worried about this though and the milk I would obviously just ask your midwife when she eventually turns up
Im not sure about the sleeping patterns though hon,sorry.Ive always had Ophelia in with me but hopefully someone will be along soon to give you some advice on that one. :hugs:

Sounds normal to me. :) Runny poo with pips in is as it should be.

As for the not settling at night, what is different? During the day is there noise going on? If it's different at night she will find it harder to settle. Try putting her in a quiet dark room for her day time naps.

Her poo sounds normal - it's very usual for them to be runny and Sam's were alwats the same. Is her formula a high iron one? Iron can make her poo green - I'm sure other people who have used Aptamil can tell you if that's normal, but the consistency certainly is. Is it not hurting her to poo during the day any more? It's possible that she might have trapped wind and that's making her uncomfortable. Have you tried winding her half way through her bottles as well as at the end before you put her down at night? x

oh sweetie, you're def. not a bad mummy :hugs: we used and have always used aptamil and so her poos sound normal and like maddi's used to be :)

with regards to wind and night time - the thing that has always helped maddi is we have always burped her (when she was new born) after every 0z. also from a few days old we used infacol, with every feed until she was 4months. from 6wks she slept through. hang in their with night times, it will get better, she's just very new too this :hugs: x

its hard to know really because baby poo is quite runny anyway to an extent, but if you think it is really wuite runny and you said its like she has pain in her tummy have you thought about it being a cows milk allergy? its very common and you can have diarrea or constipation with it, and painful stomach and straining for toilet, i was allergic to cows milk as a baby and child its really common, and my first child was allergic to it as a baby he was on SMA wysoy its soya milk formula for babies, speak to your midwife about everything hun and see what she says xxx

Sounds normal to me. :) Runny poo with pips in is as it should be.

As for the not settling at night, what is different? During the day is there noise going on? If it's different at night she will find it harder to settle. Try putting her in a quiet dark room for her day time naps.

thank you girls x

yes, Ratwife there is alot of difference - during the day she sleeps in the living room in her basket - with the noise from her big brother, me m daddy, phone, tv....at night, she is in our bedroom which is obviously dark and quiet.
will try putting her down for her naps in the bedroom too (she's only in the lounge as i don't like being separated from her when she's asleep :dohh:) Thank you x

Sounds quite normal hun, don't worry. As for the sleeping, Gabbi was the same, little angel during the day and terrible at night ................ oh, she's still like that now! lol
Do try and put her in the bedroom during the day. We found that Gabbi slept better with noise all around her, but she also keeps herself occupied in her cot during the day as it is light, at night it's a different matter. It is still trial and error, what's good for one baby may be different for another. You'll get there hun xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrs.K2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->