Some Questions - 8 week old trying to start nursing

spunky84

TTC #4
Reaction score
I've been exclusively pumping since LO was born due to latching issues. I've tried getting her to latch on w/o luck & was also having issues trying to get in contact with a LC (1 wouldn't return my calls & the other just gave me some basic info over the phone).

My midwife got me in contact with the LC where I delivered (after I went to my pp follow up). I wasn't able to meet with her until LO was 6 weeks. We tried LO on a nipple shield to start. She took it for 10 minutes and started screaming. Since she was on vacation last week, I was to call today to set up another meeting. In the meantime, I was to schedule an appt with a pediatric dentist to see if LO had tongue tie. The LC wasn't sure either way, so we had to rule it out.

LO went to the pediatric dentist today and found that she did have mild tongue tie and wouldn't be able to latch unless it was clipped (and even then, no guarantees since she's already 8 weeks). We couldn't get her to latch afterwards, but she was very hungry & probably really upset over the procedure. The dentist said that it looked like the numbing was going away.

So I decided to try with a nipple shield this evening (she was starved when I got home & gave her a bottle since I was so engorged that it hurt to hold her & then she napped for 4 hours).

The first time she nursed on the right side for about 20 minutes & then fell asleep. She woke up about 5-10 min later & didn't want anything more on the right so offered her the left side. She nursed for about 20 minutes (was kind of on and off). She kept dozing off.

Then a couple of hours later, she nursed about 20 minutes on the right side.

How do I know she's getting enough? At the end of it, she had milk all over her face and shirt. I also had a nice amount on me as well.

How long is long enough? I feel like she wasn't nursing long enough. Normally she takes 3-4 oz during a feeding. I can't imagine she got the amount that she takes from the bottle.

How can I reduce the mess with the nipple shield?

Is it bad that she's falling asleep during? Should I be trying to keep her awake? She seems to still suck some while sleeping - I don't know if she's actually feeding or if it's comfort sucking. It kind of goes back and forth between a lighter sucking & then she'll go back to what she was doing when she was awake.

Congrats on getting her to latch!

Honestly, nurse for as long as you can, and when she's done, give her some expressed milk to see if she takes it. If she refuses it, she has gotten enough from you. Can you feel that your breast feels less full after feeding her? Pay attention to how hard your breast is before and after.

Also, if she's wetting enough diapers then she's getting enough milk. I'd continue offering the EBM afterwards to make sure she gets enough, but keep her at the breast as much as you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->