Some questions about cloth nappies and newborns

dom85

Mum of 2, 3rd on the way
Reaction score
I didn't use cloth nappies with my first, I wanted to but had a hell of a lot going on and used disposables instead.

This time round I'm seriously considering it again and OH thinks it's a good option too (especially after looking at some of the 'eco' disposables).

After doing some reading and watching a lot of youtube videos I feel like I'm leaning more towards fitteds and flats with covers for absorbency, natural materials and cost. We will have to use a tumble dryer to dry them though which is kind of what is steering me away from pockets which look really really cute but I'm just a little worried about the snaps/velcro and the heat from the dryer. Am I kind of heading in the right direction with this? I am still a little bamboozled by the different types and brands and how they all work.

Another question I have is whether it is worth buying newborn sizes or using disposables until they're big enough to fit into other sizes. It just seems really expensive looking around and while OH is very supportive about using cloth he is very against buying second hand. We do plan to have one more after this one so even if we do get newborn sizes they can be used again, but is it worth the cost and how long roughly do they fit into newborn size cloth?

Also, for those using flats how are your OH's at using them? My Mum used to use terry nappies with all of us so I roughly know how to fold them but I'm wondering if OH is going to be confused bless him, he already is confused by how I organize DS's clothes and the kitchen cupboards :haha:

Oh, and can anyone recommend good covers? I can't really see much different between the different brands just by looking at their websites, would be nice to hear some first hand advice.

Thanks for listening to my rambling :flower:

I only had a few fitteds with Sophie, but found that they really contained poo very well. Flats in the origami fold were the next best thing, fastened with a snappi/nappi nippa. Flats were a lot cheaper!

I agree that the newborn stuff does seem very expensive.

I only used one brand of cover, Real Nappies (same thing as bummis super whisper wraps) which were good.

If I were to have another baby I would look at a half fitted, half flat stash and would get newborn covers. I would make my own flats for the newborn stage as the regular size were enormous on a newborn (they fit Sophie perfectly now and she's 12.3kg and 22 months).

As for covers, whatever was in my budget I would choose, with a double gusset and aplix fastening preferably.

I have seen covers that have one rise setting to cover a little more of a range than just newborn. If you want to change the inner and use the same cover for several changes, then you want to look for one that you can wipe the inside and re-use.

For the husband, I would prefold the flats and just show him a few times how they go on.

I just switched from prefolds to flats since we no longer have a washer/dryer in our unit so I'm handwashing/ airdrying. You can buy flats and use them on a newborn, unlike many other types of cloth. For instance, for my toddler I'm doing the kite fold, but for a newborn I'll use the same flats. You can just fold it first, then do the kite fold, and it will fit a newborn well!

My DH has really liked prefolds and flats more than pockets, and he's been great at the folds. I wouldn't worry -- he'll pick it up!

The one thing I hate is drying the flats. If we had any sun, it would be fine, but I'd rather have a dryer and no washer instead of the reverse!

With my first I used only pocket nappies until he was done. He was quite big so was in the size-adjustable ones from newborn and the same ones at 2.5!

My second son has mainly been in terrie towels with nappy nippers. We started with a basic triangle/newborn fold then switched to kite which he's still now in at 20 months.
I find terry towels are easier to wash, dry and store as well as being very cheap (like £3 each) although we do have a couple of fancy wraps. I have definitely experienced less leaks with them :thumbup:

They are more annoying to put on but compared to the other faffs of pockets (mainly drying them) they rock.

We bought bum genius free time / free style (can't remember what they're called) and have used them from day 5 (had to transfer for antibiotics after the birth and it was easier to take disposables).... They are suitable for 8lbs up, but she was 8lbs when we came home and they weren't even on the smallest setting, so I reckon they'd work for slightly smaller babies too.

I just love them. Put them in a bag, wash when I've got 3 left in the drawer, dry them, and off we go - no stains, no folding / stuffing / layers etc. brilliant!

Apparently they last until she's out of nappies. We will see. If they do, it'll be 200 quid very well spent I reckon!

X

We did flats mostly. We didn't when he was little though we did pockets (not natural fiber) and they were a nightmare.

I've thought of doing different things but flats just win every time. It did take MIL and DH a while to get the origami fold down, but they eventually did. For a while, they padfolded them (until he started walking, then they just bunch).

I loved flats because they launder so well. No stink, no buildup, dry fast, wash easy and clean every time, you just can't beat that. I do have 4 AIOs, Swaddlebees Simplex 2.0s, it's what we use for nighttime now that he's potty trained so we can pull them down in the AM like undies. I love them too, and they wash pretty well.

For baby #2, I am going to get about half Swaddlebees AIOs (newborn) and then some newborn covers to use with our flats we already have. I will probably get the covers that go up to 16-20lbs instead of the really small ones. I swear DS could still use his Thirsties DUO size 1 when we potty trained him...barely. LOL.

Either that, or I'll say forget diapers and go EC with the new little bub, since I will be a SAHM at that point...:shrug:

Thank you for all of your advice ladies, it's really helpful. I think we will definitely be doing flats, and maybe some fitteds for night time although I'm looking at wool covers as well now but not for newborn I don't think. I will get some newborn covers because the flats are cheaper than pockets and other types and we will be using them for another child so it won't be a waste of money.

I do think it will take a little while for OH to get the hang of it but he wants to do cloth too so I'm sure I can get him to watch a few youtube videos :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->