Some tiips for c-section moms!

Luzelle

Reaction score
I just had my baby 5 weeks ago, and although I did not plan on having a c-section, it turned out that way. So I thought I would give some tips, stuff that I learned from my experience!
- The epidural was not bad at all. I'm sh#tscared of needles, but it really wasn't bad.
- They were really thorough in checking that the epidural had 'taken'.
- Things happened very quickly, and I didn't get to hold my baby afterwards but my husband had awesome skin to skin with him immediately afterwards and has not been 'afraid' of handling, diapering etc our little man since, he really bonded with him so its been soooo worth it.
- I took disposable panties with - what a waste, their elastic was right at the incision site. Take a couple of pairs of granny style knickers along, but don't buy too many as you might only wear them for a week or two.
- I regained feeling and got up about 8 hours after the operation, I think that really aided in my recovery.
- I have a 'brest friend' feeding pillow - it was a life saver as I did not have to worry about pillows falling around, and it took the pressure off my incision.
- Nobody told me I might struggle to poo..... Had to get a glycerol suppository to get something out!
- My milk only came in about 4 days after...
- Which leads me to suggest that if you can, express some colostrum and freeze it in syringes for the baby. Every ml is some relief for you and a possibly hungry and crying baby. We got mine from the freezer from home, thawed it in some warm water and dripped it into his mouth on his second night - poor thing was so hungry, and he slept properly for the first time (and so did I).
- It hurts to cough or laugh or sneeze. Support the incision if you do so!
- That first shower was awesome. I had to wear supportive stockings that made me itch, and after the catheter and all the plastic sheeting which made me sweat, it was bliss. Take some nice shower stuff for you.
- Take pj's or pants with a high, loose elastic waist, no hipsters.
- Another tip - if you have to get up while you have the baby in your arms, either put the baby down and get up as you did when you were pregnant, or let somebody help you, at first. Those stomach muscles just aren't up to it. Now, I take hold of my one bent knee, and use it as leverage to get up. Don't know if that makes sense.
-The syntocinon drip and fluids made my milk come in something awful, and let to oversupply. If possible, remain in hospital until after your milk has come in to get some help. Or just don't start furiously pumping away the 'excess' as I did, and create tremendous oversupply problems for yourself. Read up on how to deal with engorgement BEFORE you get engorged breasts. Believe me, they feel like abscesses, so its very tempting to pump, and might be necessary, but get professional help or at least post on BF forum before you do!!
-BF'ing was not all that easy for me as people had led me to believe! But it is worth it.:baby:

Good luck. I will add more and hope other moms will, too, if I remember anything.
So by the way, my recovery has been great. The c-section was way easier than I had expected, I stopped my pain meds a couple of days after getting home. I have a thin red line above my pubic hair to show for it, which will soon fade.I don't think I will consider a v-bac after this, not now that I know what to expect. My bonding with Barry was not affected, and neither was he himself negatively affected as I had feared, even though I had had: gas and air, morphine, epidural, and a truckload of other drugs. Not my first choice, but things turned out awesome. At first I felt guilty but now I feel it was the best decision for us. Thank God for modern medicine. He had turned Occipital Posterior, with a deflexed head and after 30 hours of labour I just couldn't get him out. Good luck and enjoy your experience!

Thanks for the tips Luzelle, some great advice there :thumbup::hugs:

Thanks so much for these tips. I am booked to have a csection on Monday! I had a normal VB with my little boy so needless to say I am very anxious about the op but you answered some questions that I didn't even know I had!

I completely agree with everything you have said!!! I had an emergency csection but it took nearly a day for the epi to wear off as mine didnt work to start with and they had to pump me full to get it to work lol.

So yes, all good tips for anyone having a section. XX

This is fantastic thank you soooo much I've been so scared as my lilmman is still breech and I think I will have to have a csec as I don't think he will turn now ;( xx

If i may add, if your a larger lady and have an over hang of skin covering your wound lie down and lift your skin up to air it. that way you really reduce the chance of infection.
Agree with everything else and that shower was fab the morning after!

Ah yes, that morning after shower was the best shower of my life!!

One tip I'd add, is if you know you're having guests round stay in your PJ's - I made the mistake of getting dressed, and ran round like a blue arsed fly trying to make sure everyone had cups of tea etc. The next day, different people came over, and I stayed in my PJs - nobody could do enough to help me! I guess it's 'cause I looked more like a 'patient' and someone who needed to be looked after! :)

Thank you, it's looking possible we will have to have a section and I'm a little nervous about it. :)

Ah yes, that morning after shower was the best shower of my life!!

One tip I'd add, is if you know you're having guests round stay in your PJ's - I made the mistake of getting dressed, and ran round like a blue arsed fly trying to make sure everyone had cups of tea etc. The next day, different people came over, and I stayed in my PJs - nobody could do enough to help me! I guess it's 'cause I looked more like a 'patient' and someone who needed to be looked after! :)

:haha: Will definitely remember that tip :hugs:

Thanks. i'm having a section on Tuesday and your tips really help. xxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"